Holiday baking anyone?

Holiday baking anyone?

December 14th, 2011, 9:18 pm #1

I am busy making cookies for the bake sale at school Friday morning but have plans to make fruit cake (yes, I love fruit cake but mostly my own--I don't put nuts in and put in only the dried fruit I love)
I want to make some macaroons and some meringues for those who have to avoid gluten (I have a macaroon recipe that calls for sweetened condensed milk: drool!)
and I also want to make cupcakes baked in flat bottomed icecream cones--I have a recipe and really, how can I resist?? but that one will be last on the list for the bake sale since it take a bit more work and caffeine can carry me so far.

I want to hear all about the baking you all are up to and have planned.
oh, the cookies are oatmeal chocolate chip--DD's current favourite.

julie

me:42, DH 43
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cy2

December 14th, 2011, 9:32 pm #2

Many loaves of Zojirushi machine bread (takes 3.5 hours to bake, not counting cool down of machine and cleaning the pan).

Also, if I have time, Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip cookies (lots of butter and better tasting than Tollhouse recipre).

I did the cupcakes in the ice cream cones for one of DS' birthdays. The problem with those were that you had to bake right before the event since the cupcakes are moist and make the ice cream cone soggy if they sit for more than a few hours. (or maybe it was the humidity in HI????)

Have fun. I used to love to bake holiday cookies when I was growing up (choc. chip, decorated sugar, Russian teacakes (rolled in powdered sugar), butter spritz (w/ candied cherry middle), and pretzels dipped in almond bark, etc.)

December 14th, 2011, 9:44 pm #3

I am busy making cookies for the bake sale at school Friday morning but have plans to make fruit cake (yes, I love fruit cake but mostly my own--I don't put nuts in and put in only the dried fruit I love)
I want to make some macaroons and some meringues for those who have to avoid gluten (I have a macaroon recipe that calls for sweetened condensed milk: drool!)
and I also want to make cupcakes baked in flat bottomed icecream cones--I have a recipe and really, how can I resist?? but that one will be last on the list for the bake sale since it take a bit more work and caffeine can carry me so far.

julie

FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I tend to over do it in the area of baking. I come from a long line of women who do too much for the holidays and although I don't do nearly as much ( I don't know how my mother dit it all!) I do tend to do a lot of baking.
I have already made three loaves of cranberry nut bread, two batches of the peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses in the middle, a batch of lemon coconut tossies,a batch coconut macaroons, and a HUGE batch of sugar cookies that we will decorate this weekend.
I still have to make a batch of rugelach (spelling?) and kiffles (a cream cheese dough rolled out and then filled with apricot or nuts) and three batches of my grandmother's poppyseed bread.
Thank goodness my mom will be coming in to town Monday! I am definitely going to need some rest

December 15th, 2011, 12:43 am #4

julie

FSH 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi,
I am doing m&m cookies,Whoopie pies and mexican and chinese eggrolls, a ham and bread in my bread machine. I will do a salad and appetizers. Probably some other stuff but not sure right now !

Expected planned delivery on 11/13/2008 -3 weeks early.
42-recent FSH 12.4 at private md.
Natural Cycle w/ proges. support BFP 02/08 at 42.4
Natural cycle-BFN
M/C Sept.07-natural p/g waiting for IVF Ins. says fertile must wait 6months to reapply for IVF!
June 07-IUI low stim good responder-BFN
May 07-IUI low stim-BFN
April 07- FSH -11.3 & 11.5 E2-44
March 07- all fertility testing no issues. Husband has no issues.
10/06-Delivered stillborn DS at 40weeks a day after my 41st birthday. Cord Accident. Natural conception at 40.
01/2006 -natural conception at 40
10/2005 -M/c at 7weeks
09/2005 - natural conception
08/2005 - start trying for #2
12-2004 - c/s delivery of ds at 39.2
04/2004 - natural conception at 38

December 15th, 2011, 3:04 am #5

julie

FSH 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and perhaps some almond biscotti and pizelles, but most likely not because i am also going to cook and want it all to be fresh when i get up there. heading up to quebec for Christmas--bringing Greek cheese pie (with goat cheese,mmmm!) and spanakoita, as well as pasticio (sp??) and a big roast to make there. did you know that bj's has great roasts! they do!!

December 15th, 2011, 5:09 am #6

julie

FSH 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not here, though.

A number of co-workers & friends bake, so we have no need for more to eat! LOL! New neighbors we just met dropped off 3 bags of butter toffee popcorn. My littlest guy has figured out how to beg for it.

My mom made brown sugar cookies with lemon cream cheese frosting with ds #1 this past weekend & they decorated those. My mil is making cookies with him on Friday. So he's covered in terms of making cookies.

December 15th, 2011, 2:54 pm #7

Many loaves of Zojirushi machine bread (takes 3.5 hours to bake, not counting cool down of machine and cleaning the pan).

Also, if I have time, Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip cookies (lots of butter and better tasting than Tollhouse recipre).

I did the cupcakes in the ice cream cones for one of DS' birthdays. The problem with those were that you had to bake right before the event since the cupcakes are moist and make the ice cream cone soggy if they sit for more than a few hours. (or maybe it was the humidity in HI????)

Have fun. I used to love to bake holiday cookies when I was growing up (choc. chip, decorated sugar, Russian teacakes (rolled in powdered sugar), butter spritz (w/ candied cherry middle), and pretzels dipped in almond bark, etc.)
You are going to think I am a nut, pestering you for feedback!

OK, so I recall the thread quite awhile ago about bread machines and yours (and somebody else's?) high high high recommendations for the Zojirushi bread maker.

Now there is no way I could justify that retail expense in my life but there is one available on Craigslist (Zojirushi BBCC-x20 Bread Maker)at about half price. I want it......please sell me on it, tell me how awesome it is......

I've had inexpensive bread machines in the past which I used perhaps twice a month and enjoyed their product but didn't love love love the results - my recollection is that there could be a plastic type of taste to it due to the pan, I suppose. Somehow we lost the mixing paddle to my current one so I've not made bread for years.

Thanks,

Kevin

December 15th, 2011, 5:32 pm #8

julie

FSH 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't think we will do a whole lot. It's just us this year. We will probably do some sugar cookies to decorate...snowmen and Christmas trees. Not exactly baking, but I'll also do some of those candies where you take a pretzel, put a Rolo on it and put it in the oven until it's soft, then smush a pecan onto it. We did some of those at Thanksgiving using cashews, pecans, and M & Ms (for those who don't want nuts), and they couldn't be easier or yummier.

I have my grandma's recipe for anise cookies, which is especially nice for the memories. We also really like molasses cookies, so perhaps I'll do a batch of those babies. We baked gingerbread ornaments last year, tons of them, and had so much fun decorating them.

xoxox
MM

December 15th, 2011, 8:12 pm #9

julie

FSH 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think I'm gaining weight just reading all these posts!

For Christmas I always make magic layer bars (the graham cracker crust, sweetened condensed milk poured over chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut); nut balls (pecans chopped fine, flour,, butter, powdered sugar, pinch of salt, baked as balls and then rolled into more powdered sugar); chocolate chip cookies; cut-out sugar cookies with sprinkles on them (the boys love helping with those); and if I get to them, brownies. I have a really super fabulous double chocolate (cocoa and unsweetened chocolate) brownie recipe that I like to make if I have enough time.

Every year I think I'm going to try different recipes but I always come back to these, i guess because of the time constraint - all my recipes are so fast and easy to make. But I'd love to try making gingerbread cookies and some other things.

And of course I have stollen, but I didn't bake it myself.

xoxo
Lillian

December 15th, 2011, 9:24 pm #10

julie

FSH 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have made fairy buns, empire biscuits, chocolate crispie cake and gingerbread men!

I love baking!