good thoughts and prayers needed for ds

good thoughts and prayers needed for ds

August 20th, 2012, 12:26 pm #1

first day of school. not a single friend in home base, which also means no friend to sit with at lunch, art, music, science, social studies, and p.e. ds shuts down socially and academically when he's miserable. he will be miserable b/c he is with his tormentor and has not one friend.

Somehow the autism teacher left this out of the iep at the final meeting. 3 thrapists have all agreed that this is extremely important.

principal can be pretty rigid about changing classes. I've emailed her and begged for help.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

August 20th, 2012, 1:20 pm #2

I have a cousin with same problem.
His best help was the gym teacher, who made him feel responsible and important by giving him simple tasks like:
Informing the class on something,
fetching a person/another teacher,
checking times.
In this way, he connected between the other students and him for almost 4 years.

Adee
Adee

August 20th, 2012, 1:22 pm #3

first day of school. not a single friend in home base, which also means no friend to sit with at lunch, art, music, science, social studies, and p.e. ds shuts down socially and academically when he's miserable. he will be miserable b/c he is with his tormentor and has not one friend.

Somehow the autism teacher left this out of the iep at the final meeting. 3 thrapists have all agreed that this is extremely important.

principal can be pretty rigid about changing classes. I've emailed her and begged for help.

ttc since 1998
I really hope that you can get his classes changed. That's terrible. My heart goes out to you and him.

Friends are so important for any child.

Hugs,
Z.

August 20th, 2012, 2:30 pm #4

ttc since 1998
GOOD thoughts heading out to your ds. Oh so hard, I know you must be in turmoil ! Hoping that rising to this new challenge makes him feel good about himself ... x

August 20th, 2012, 3:09 pm #5

ttc since 1998
I hope the principal is understanding and accommodating about this. If not, hoping some kind, intuitive kid will recognize what a tough time DS is having, and will step in and become a good new friend. Prayers and positive energy coming your way!

xoxoxoxo
MM

August 20th, 2012, 3:21 pm #6

ttc since 1998
...I am so sorry to hear this. Putting aside my annoyance at the autism teacher's omission at leaving something so critical out of K's iep, I'm focusing positive and protective energy toward DS.

I hope the principal is receptive -- what a hard heart someone would have to have to hear about this and not be willing to help.

Please post an update if you can -- hoping it will be much better than expected!

((((hugs)))),
k.
Last edited by piove on August 20th, 2012, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 20th, 2012, 3:24 pm #7

ttc since 1998
Poor K -- that sucks. I am hopeful that, though the principal is usually strict, she will see the importance of the switch, and soon. Sending good thoughts and wishes that it happens quickly.

Please keep us posted.

xox.

August 20th, 2012, 4:29 pm #8

ttc since 1998
what kind of school is that??!! hope you get somewhere with that principle.

Is this THE school for him? You can't have him go elsewhere? sorry if this has been covered here already, the hard-drive in my brain gets wiped every once in a while.

hugs and good luck!!
julie
xo

me:43
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wcl

August 20th, 2012, 6:36 pm #9

ttc since 1998
I would be upset, too. Surely the principal will address the mistake--if he/she has any heart, understanding of kids, sense of fairness--and if nothing else, fear of outspoken mothers! Have you contacted his IEP team? Maybe they could help.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Keiki....

wcl

August 20th, 2012, 6:42 pm #10

ttc since 1998
that seems to be an oversight. Did he change school? My kids (started 3rd today) are shuffled every single year. Each year we get new class assignments and you are not allowed to say who you want to have your kid in class with. DS has lost two friends in the last two years because they moved away, that's hard on him, but he says he's okay because he knows all the kids in his grade (60 total). Has your DS been with the same group of kids since Kindergarten? The yearly shuffling gave me headaches the first go-around, but now, we've gotten used to it. Hope your DS makes a new friend soon, I bet he will!