gifts for 10yo boy

gifts for 10yo boy

May 8th, 2012, 1:25 pm #1

DS will be 10 next month (yikes!). He recently asked for a pretty lame gift (a dvd that would have interested him when he was 5). He admits it's not very interesting, but he says he's not interested in a lot of things anymore.

We need to help him widen his horizons somewhat. It's probably also time to think about fewer, but more expensive gifts. He always went for the very seasonal, inexpensive things before (nerf guns, etc.).

Your suggestions?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

May 8th, 2012, 1:39 pm #2

First, happy birthday to Keiki!! I cannot believe we are facing double-digit birthdays. I was just thinking about this last week, and given the fact that I can still call to mind the scents of my baby's hair and Dreft, the silken feel of baby skin, the sight of baby eyelashes atop a chubby baby cheek, and the music of baby babble, this is an unfathomable milestone (made more difficult by menopausal hormones. Sniff).

But..I digress..and agree with your about Keiki's admission of not being interested in much anymore! So I wonder if an experience would be more exciting for him? Perhaps:

1) a weekend family trip to a water park, amusement park, zoo, camping trip, etc.?
2) a class or seminar -- anything in particular he's good at or fascinated by? If nothing jumps out, give him a few choices and let him choose -- maybe something will pique his interest and lead to a new skill or hobby. (Photography-- and get him a fun camera to go along with it? Mosaic-making -- class and supplies? etc.)
3) along those lines...I seem to recall Keiki having an interest in science and related things. Do either of these organizations offer camps in your area (or maybe you could help connect them to K's school for next year): http://www.invent.org/camp/default.aspx or http://www.usfirst.org/ I've worked with Invent Now before and think they're great. FIRST was founded by inventor Dean Kamen (who I sort of worked with during my work with Invent Now) -- and he is incredible. Really believes in kids and wants to spark their interest in science, inventing, engineering, etc.

As far as toys and games, I have no clue -- I'm not really "up" on popular culture as relates to kids, much to DD's chagrin -- and I definitely don't know what boys are into -- but Keiki seems like a real hands-on kid and I think/hope it's just a matter of finding the thing that engages and inspires him....not always an easy thing to do, I know.

xoxoxox,
k.

May 8th, 2012, 1:50 pm #3

DS will be 10 next month (yikes!). He recently asked for a pretty lame gift (a dvd that would have interested him when he was 5). He admits it's not very interesting, but he says he's not interested in a lot of things anymore.

We need to help him widen his horizons somewhat. It's probably also time to think about fewer, but more expensive gifts. He always went for the very seasonal, inexpensive things before (nerf guns, etc.).

Your suggestions?

ttc since 1998
They have lots of cool and artistic toys and puzzles that are sure to get more than one season of use.

Maybe he should start a gift card collection for the book store, or for sporting goods? Kids feel very entitled with those cards in their pockets.

[size=300]EllenA[/size]

dx'd high fsh at age 30
ttc 6 years
5 failed clomid cycles
2 failed IVF cycles
#3 IVF/ICSI worked out fine
FET 2 years later didn't work out
Proud mom of an amazing miracle boy.

May 8th, 2012, 3:09 pm #4

Your suggestions?

ttc since 1998
Wow a whole decade, it's impressive. My kids are only less than 2 years away from it and it's killing me already. Both of mine have this middle school attitude of I'm only interested in what I'm interested and I've been thinking of widening their horizons.

I think the suggestions you got so far are great, especially the gift card. We got DD a gift card to her favorite clothing store for her birthday and it was a HIT. DS also got a gift card for the Lego store and it was far better than having gotten him the actual Lego.

They had a recent book swap at our school and DS got this book for free out of it and has been buring his head in it ever since:
http://www.amazon.com/Pirateology-Pirat ... =8-1-spell
There are different ones to the series and if DS likes non-fiction, those might be really cool!

DS also recently devoured the kids Titanic series (3 books):http://www.amazon.com/Titanic-1-Unsinka ... 60&sr=1-16

Not sure if Keiki is into Lego, but another idea I had probably for Christmas this year is a subscription to the paid Lego magazine http://shop.lego.com/en-US/BrickJournal-14-2856735". I'll be getting him one edition this summer for our trip to Europe to see if he likes it.

Another thing if Keiki likes science would be a microscope with little experiments to do. DS would love that, but it probably requires parental help.

I'll be interested what other people suggest! Have fun!!!

May 8th, 2012, 3:52 pm #5

Your suggestions?

ttc since 1998
Double digits...how can it be?!

I think Kat had some interesting ideas, about perhaps introducing a new hobby. Maybe a guitar and some lessons?

xoxoox
M

cy2

May 8th, 2012, 9:26 pm #6

Your suggestions?

ttc since 1998
He is also getting interested in art, so he loves art supplies (charcoal pencils, pastels, fancy ink pens, paper cones for smudging, etc.)

He also asked for a fountain pen and a quill pen.

I like the idea of something that will spark a hobby. We gave DS a digital camera for his 4 day Big Island trip. He's been playing with it and taking a bunch of pictures.

He also has a new obsession with the Phantom of the Opera, having seen part of the presentation on public television. He blasts the CD when he's doing his chores. (It's funny to hear him singing along with Phantom CD as he scrubs the bathrooms on the weekends.) He also sings the tunes in the shower. . .

Is there a live performance of interest coming up in your area? Maybe not Phantom, but a good magician, dance group, etc?

I agree that at this age gift cards are the best. The adventure in shopping, both at the stores and online is more fun than playing with the actual item sometimes. Plus it makes DS feel so grown up.

We save our zero balance gift cards and the plastic tabs from our milk cartons. I give them to DS as a form of currency for good behavior. He periodically asks me how many cards and tabs it will cost him to buy DS or Wii time or some other privilege. Plus, I'm wary of the information embedded in those magnetic strips, so better we keep all cards (especially hotel room keys!) and turn them into our own private currency!

It may be too big, but DS got a bunkbed set for xmas. We also purchased a 9x12 tool shed with windows that he is going to use as a clubhouse. Even though that was VERY expensive as a present, it will get good use as a storage shed when DS has outgrown the need for a clubhouse. Along those lines, DS loves his tent. We let him set it up in the living room and "camp out" sometimes. He also loves fancy flashlights.

May 8th, 2012, 11:21 pm #7

Your suggestions?

ttc since 1998
My 10 y/o got a nook for xmas and loves it! Is DS into sports at all? My DS loves jerseys and anything sporty. Is he into music, how about the sony walkman, it is like an ipod but much cheaper. Maybe the wii if you don't have it already.

May 9th, 2012, 2:53 am #8

Your suggestions?

ttc since 1998
and the answer was a resounding Nintendo DS! I dont know how you feel about those gadgets, but I guess there are some good games available. (We dont have one, so Im not speaking from any personal experience)

Is he into building or science? I have heard that Snap Circuits are really interesting and fun. Or what about those woodworking kits for kids? I have seen one at Toys R Us that looks very enticing, and the kids can really make things with it. Would he be interested a small pet like a hamster with the habitrail and wheel, etc., or a fish tank?

10 is such a special birthday. Im confident youll find a way to make it magical! Im sorry your DS says hes not interested in anything at the moment. Do you think those teenage exhausted hormones are starting to kick in?

Pink

May 9th, 2012, 3:51 pm #9

Your suggestions?

ttc since 1998
just give him some money to get what he wants? Along with something else like really nice clothes or a cool game. It could be fun for him to just go shopping for himself. It would probably help him to learn that he has to negotiate with himself about what he can afford vs what he really wants.

Z.

May 10th, 2012, 12:12 pm #10

First, happy birthday to Keiki!! I cannot believe we are facing double-digit birthdays. I was just thinking about this last week, and given the fact that I can still call to mind the scents of my baby's hair and Dreft, the silken feel of baby skin, the sight of baby eyelashes atop a chubby baby cheek, and the music of baby babble, this is an unfathomable milestone (made more difficult by menopausal hormones. Sniff).

But..I digress..and agree with your about Keiki's admission of not being interested in much anymore! So I wonder if an experience would be more exciting for him? Perhaps:

1) a weekend family trip to a water park, amusement park, zoo, camping trip, etc.?
2) a class or seminar -- anything in particular he's good at or fascinated by? If nothing jumps out, give him a few choices and let him choose -- maybe something will pique his interest and lead to a new skill or hobby. (Photography-- and get him a fun camera to go along with it? Mosaic-making -- class and supplies? etc.)
3) along those lines...I seem to recall Keiki having an interest in science and related things. Do either of these organizations offer camps in your area (or maybe you could help connect them to K's school for next year): http://www.invent.org/camp/default.aspx or http://www.usfirst.org/ I've worked with Invent Now before and think they're great. FIRST was founded by inventor Dean Kamen (who I sort of worked with during my work with Invent Now) -- and he is incredible. Really believes in kids and wants to spark their interest in science, inventing, engineering, etc.

As far as toys and games, I have no clue -- I'm not really "up" on popular culture as relates to kids, much to DD's chagrin -- and I definitely don't know what boys are into -- but Keiki seems like a real hands-on kid and I think/hope it's just a matter of finding the thing that engages and inspires him....not always an easy thing to do, I know.

xoxoxox,
k.
we do have him registered for a climbing tower/ropes/kayaking camp in July. I hadn't thought of making that a bday gift, but if he had gone to sleep-away camp, that was the plan, bc it's spendy! I couldn't find a FIRST event in our state. I did find Invent.org. Thanks for the info!

ttc since 1998