Gift suggestions for family wedding we can't attend

Gift suggestions for family wedding we can't attend

May 30th, 2012, 6:16 pm #1

I'd love to have some great ideas for a wedding gift for my brother and his wife. They are getting married (and live) in HI and given the custody issues I have going on, my daughters and I won't be able to attend. My kids are 2 (on Friday!) and 7.

For my new SIL's shower, they are having a "bring a dish" party where everyone will gift a dish, loved or new. I thought about having my girls decorate a dish at a pottery place with something like "Three Wishes for Long and Happy Marriage" to symbolize my daughters and me. But, then I started thinking maybe a larger platter with that would make a good wedding gift and we could decorate a smaller plate to go with it.

They aren't acquisitive people - vs. I bought a Tiffany vase for his first marriage and it was exactly the right gift - and they seem to travel light since they move a fair amount and tend to give away things to keep things light. They are very into food and travel. They live on Maui and travel to Honolulu a fair amount to see her family. They also travel back to the east coast to visit my family at least once per year.

I don't have a lot of excess $$ thanks to the court issues, so I want something that will be a thoughtful remembrance they enjoy. I want to keep it around $200. Any suggestions will be MUCH appreciated. The wedding is in early July, so I'm trying to get this decided soon. Thanks!

May 30th, 2012, 6:30 pm #2

to buy them flight tickets (or vouchers) to see you.
If you purchase them online in advance, it should be around the amount you wish to spend.
I guess that you will have to check the best date with them.

I love it when my relatives send me flight tickets - and the do it quite often

Joy and celebrations,

Adee
Adee

May 30th, 2012, 6:59 pm #3

I'd love to have some great ideas for a wedding gift for my brother and his wife. They are getting married (and live) in HI and given the custody issues I have going on, my daughters and I won't be able to attend. My kids are 2 (on Friday!) and 7.

For my new SIL's shower, they are having a "bring a dish" party where everyone will gift a dish, loved or new. I thought about having my girls decorate a dish at a pottery place with something like "Three Wishes for Long and Happy Marriage" to symbolize my daughters and me. But, then I started thinking maybe a larger platter with that would make a good wedding gift and we could decorate a smaller plate to go with it.

They aren't acquisitive people - vs. I bought a Tiffany vase for his first marriage and it was exactly the right gift - and they seem to travel light since they move a fair amount and tend to give away things to keep things light. They are very into food and travel. They live on Maui and travel to Honolulu a fair amount to see her family. They also travel back to the east coast to visit my family at least once per year.

I don't have a lot of excess $$ thanks to the court issues, so I want something that will be a thoughtful remembrance they enjoy. I want to keep it around $200. Any suggestions will be MUCH appreciated. The wedding is in early July, so I'm trying to get this decided soon. Thanks!
Sometimes, you can incorporate the "idea" of the shower or wedding but take it in your own direction/the direction you think best represents the couple.

Many years ago, I gave some college friends of mine The Breakfast Book for their wedding -- and then I added: pretty cloth napkins for 2, napkin rings, coffee mugs, coffee (Pacific NW here!). You can do a lot with a small thoughtful item (I like your idea of a handpainted dish done by your kids) and then round it out a little.

If they are travelers, a large platter is a nightmare -- can't put it many places, takes a lot of space, etc. etc. Smaller things that work together might be more their style?

And then the kids could be involved in picking out different parts (eg, if giving a beautiful salad bowl, you could also give pretty tongs, fancy vinegars, etc.)

Personally, I don't believe that the gift has to "last" -- the IDEA has to last....

cy2

May 30th, 2012, 8:28 pm #4

They would be a daily reminder of your good wishes for coffee drinkers. Plus, they are small and easily packed.

Maui has a wonderful food festival every year. I'm not sure when it is, but maybe tickets to the festival or a special event would be fun for them. Or maybe a cooking class? The community college on Oahu offers some really neat classes offered by local chefs. I sent DH to one of knife care and cutting techniques for his birthday one year. He really enjoyed it.

The community college on Maui might have extension courses in the culinary arts. Also, some of the local restaurants/businesses may have fun courses too. There is a winery, goat farm that produces cheese, lavender farm, and many unique and delicious restaurants. Some of my favorites are Mama's Fish House, Haile Maile General Store, and the Japanese restaurant at the Prince Hotel (If they have the Kaiseki dinner, that is an experience in itself. Kaiseki is a multiple course dinner that incorporates a number of beautiful, delicious, and out of the ordinary dishes.) Kapalua Resort has a number of really nice restaurants and might have some fine food oriented activities. I think that is where the food festival is based, but I'm not sure.

Another nice Maui-oriented event is a whale watching boat ride. The thrill of seeing the humpbacks spouting and breaching is amazing. In the winter months, the waters around Maui have been described as "whale soup".

Good luck! One area you could research is "what to do on Maui".

May 30th, 2012, 9:11 pm #5

you can check out the website. I've given many of these as unique wedding gifts. They are hand painted wooden bowls with wishes painted inside and it can be personalized. I think you can get a nice bowl for much less than $200.

Momagain

May 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm #6

I have to thank you for posting this, because it made me remember that I still haven't sent a gift for my brother and his now-wife, who were married on the down-low on 11-11-11! Doh! Now I, too, have some good ideas to choose from!

xoxoxoox
MM

May 31st, 2012, 1:39 am #7

You could give to her? Maybe things your brother and you had growing up that were special to you guys? I think that combined with a serving platter would make a nice gift, and wouldn't cost too much.

June 2nd, 2012, 2:16 am #8

For our wedding someone made us one, it just says our names and wedding date on it but it is so special to us. It is a ceramic plate, looks almost like a tart pan with squiggly sides. I think a platter would be fantastic, something she can use to put appetizers on to serve at get togethers. I think it is very nice idea and gift!