Getting stickers off of cabinets

Getting stickers off of cabinets

July 17th, 2012, 4:51 am #1

So...when we first moved in 2 years ago, for some reason I cannot begin to explain, my DH allowed our then 3 y.o. DD to put stickers all over our kitchen cabinets when I was out one day. The kind that do not come up by prying them with your fingernail. The kind made with some glue from hell. This is the man who growls at me if I forget to click a ballpoint pen to the "closed position" for fear it will mark up the furniture it is laying on. Yes, I've lived with these stickers for all this time, too mentally exhausted to do a thing about them, but now I want them OFF. What wonderful wisdom can you give me in terms of products and process? Thanks!

July 17th, 2012, 11:07 am #2

Do you have white laminate cabinets or are they wood? If they are wood I would change approach so as not to damage the finish.

I would try warming up with a hair dryer and see if I could get my fingernail behind, or a flat razor blade (in a scraper instrument). Try soaking them with a bit of water and then attack with hair dryer and scrape method.

[size=300]EllenA[/size]

dx'd high fsh at age 30
ttc 6 years
5 failed clomid cycles
2 failed IVF cycles
#3 IVF/ICSI worked out fine
FET 2 years later didn't work out
Proud mom of an amazing miracle boy.

July 17th, 2012, 12:19 pm #3

So...when we first moved in 2 years ago, for some reason I cannot begin to explain, my DH allowed our then 3 y.o. DD to put stickers all over our kitchen cabinets when I was out one day. The kind that do not come up by prying them with your fingernail. The kind made with some glue from hell. This is the man who growls at me if I forget to click a ballpoint pen to the "closed position" for fear it will mark up the furniture it is laying on. Yes, I've lived with these stickers for all this time, too mentally exhausted to do a thing about them, but now I want them OFF. What wonderful wisdom can you give me in terms of products and process? Thanks!
although you might want to test the oil in an inconspicuous place to see what it does to the finish. I've discovered that some oils remove finish. Those scented oils from Pier 1, where you insert small sticks to diffuse the scent? Those will dissolve furniture stain. Hand creams will, too.

Well, just buy an oil intended for furniture and give it a try if you have stained wood cabinets, and then gently rub the sticker off when it's soaked.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
Last edited by goldiescholar on July 17th, 2012, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 17th, 2012, 3:02 pm #4

But as others have mentioned, test in an inconspicuous area because it can be very abrasive.

The other idea would be baking soda/warm water & a toothbrush.

If some of the stickers are on lower cabinets, have DD do it with you -- she put them there, she needs to see what it takes to get them off. I have had DD scrub with Magic Eraser when she drew on my bathroom door & walls. I think she'll be less likely to do it again now that she knows it takes a while to get them off.

July 17th, 2012, 7:25 pm #5

Or isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). First try it on the inside of the cabinet to make sure it will not dull the finish, then apply it onto a paper towel and keep the sticker wet; it will start to rub off shortly and you can clean it up with more IPA...

Sounds like a blast!
Last edited by cataholic on July 17th, 2012, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 17th, 2012, 8:42 pm #6

Nail polish remover w/o aceton does the track as well

Joy and celebrations,

Adee
Adee

July 17th, 2012, 8:58 pm #7

that is what I use to get sticky stuff off but really only the gummy stuff left behind by the sticker.

I wonder if there's a wetter than water type product that people might use to remove wallpaper...

I'd start scraping at them with one of those paint pallet tools but not knowing hwat they look like, how easily damaged the cabinets are etc.

Alternately, if you really want to be obsessive about it unscrew one off, lay it flat, drape on a wet towel and let it soak to the point it's easy to remove that stickers.

good luck!!
jm

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 18th, 2012, 4:39 pm #8

Do you have white laminate cabinets or are they wood? If they are wood I would change approach so as not to damage the finish.

I would try warming up with a hair dryer and see if I could get my fingernail behind, or a flat razor blade (in a scraper instrument). Try soaking them with a bit of water and then attack with hair dryer and scrape method.

[size=300]EllenA[/size]

dx'd high fsh at age 30
ttc 6 years
5 failed clomid cycles
2 failed IVF cycles
#3 IVF/ICSI worked out fine
FET 2 years later didn't work out
Proud mom of an amazing miracle boy.
I'd say they were put in sometime in the 90's. Not painted, just basic finish. Wouldn't want to scrape with anything stronger than a fingernail!

July 18th, 2012, 4:40 pm #9

But as others have mentioned, test in an inconspicuous area because it can be very abrasive.

The other idea would be baking soda/warm water & a toothbrush.

If some of the stickers are on lower cabinets, have DD do it with you -- she put them there, she needs to see what it takes to get them off. I have had DD scrub with Magic Eraser when she drew on my bathroom door & walls. I think she'll be less likely to do it again now that she knows it takes a while to get them off.
I mean really, she was THREE when it happened, and he was 45. He told her it was OK, so I think he is the more responsible party.

July 18th, 2012, 6:56 pm #10

store... but test a small area first --- should do the trick! GL!