follow up on Bed Rest for broken ankle...

follow up on Bed Rest for broken ankle...

April 26th, 2012, 3:43 am #1

Well, I went to the doctor for my follow up today and my doctor told me that there was way more swelling than what she would have expected a week later. She also said there was some strange bruising higher up on my leg that may mean there was another fracture but even if there was another fracture, what they did in the ankle would take care of it....
She ordered me to another week of bed rest and told me this week to do even less than I did last week I also have to keep my ankle elevated much higher than I had this past week. I do have a lot of friends and family that have stepped up to help but I am still not good at asking for help.
I guess this week will be like a test for me. I have to let go of the guilt and let DH take care of the heavy lifting. I always feel bad about making/asking him to do much when he comes home from work.
I guess I should just accept it and take advantage of the time in bed. Maybe I can catch up on DD's scrapbook or something productive like that!!!!

April 26th, 2012, 4:33 am #2

Stephanie,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this -- what a nuisance. Would there be any value in getting a 2nd opinion? I'm no expert but I'm surprised by your doc's reaction to the bruising (is there any risk this could be a clot? I think that is unlikely but of course can be serious if not caught/treated).

Hope this week will be "the one" and that your leg will really start to recuperate!

Best wishes,
Alex

April 26th, 2012, 11:32 am #3

Well, I went to the doctor for my follow up today and my doctor told me that there was way more swelling than what she would have expected a week later. She also said there was some strange bruising higher up on my leg that may mean there was another fracture but even if there was another fracture, what they did in the ankle would take care of it....
She ordered me to another week of bed rest and told me this week to do even less than I did last week I also have to keep my ankle elevated much higher than I had this past week. I do have a lot of friends and family that have stepped up to help but I am still not good at asking for help.
I guess this week will be like a test for me. I have to let go of the guilt and let DH take care of the heavy lifting. I always feel bad about making/asking him to do much when he comes home from work.
I guess I should just accept it and take advantage of the time in bed. Maybe I can catch up on DD's scrapbook or something productive like that!!!!
That's tough, an extra week, extra high. Really does limit you. I hope the time goes as quickly as can be expected.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

April 26th, 2012, 1:56 pm #4

Bummer .... wanted to also say, people like to help, they really really do. If I offer a hand to someone I am always so happy if they call and I can do something to help ... even if only a small thing. So, ask ... don't feel guilty

Hang in there Stephanie, I imagine this is difficult, but you have to get well quickly and that means, leg up, stay off your feet, ask for help, get to some serious scrapbooking and photo organising

Hugs
V

April 26th, 2012, 11:09 pm #5

this sounds like quite a bad injury. I guess this is the time to take the drs orders and put that leg up and let your husband take over for a while. Im sure he understands and wouldnt consider it any other way. I dont know how you could scrapbook, but it sounds like a nice idea! I have also heard of forums for people on bedrestsorry that I dont know their names.

Take care sounds trivial, but I really mean it!

Pink

April 27th, 2012, 12:57 pm #6

poor girl, that is awful.

And it is concerning that it isn't healing the way the doc wants, so I would listen to what he says. My dh does a bunch of stuff and there is nothing wrong with me. I just in a funk of exhaustion and he is picking up a ton of slack. I feel really guilty, but I need his help right now. You need it more than I do so take it.

Also, is a cleaning lady an option? If you call a service and tell them your situation they may be able to send you someone that can do a lot of different things... a nice one like mine. My first good cleaning person through a service turned into my children's main babysitter. She does everything we need (when we can have her---not so much anymore). Maybe have her for 3 hours a day or so around 4-7? She can do a little light housework, laundry, dinner and cleanup? Maybe even play a game with dd? There are lots of well rounded helpers out there.

Think about it... you may need a long time to heal. Sending healing prayers to you.