Finally got tagged with head bugs

Finally got tagged with head bugs

August 2nd, 2012, 9:58 pm #1

Sigh.

I should consider myself lucky - I have only one child, and she is nearly six, and this is the first time we had to go down this path.

DD's daycamp staff alerted us the other day that they thought they saw nits after she went swimming. I ran around every free minute during my workday yesterday to pick up the LiceMeister comb (pretty good, I must admit) and Cetaphil to use that method.

Last night, did the "test" using conditioner & the comb, probably didn't need to treat but went ahead & did the Cetaphil treatment. While I was doing that, DH rounded up DD's bedding & popped it in the dryer (CDC says you don't have to was everything, but drying it on high kills the buggers).

By 9 pm, I was exhausted. So was DD (early combings/detanglings had her crying, but at least it got easier until we got to the hairdrying part which she hates & which took 4x as long with the Cetaphil in it).

MM-IL was it you who did it with FOUR? (I'm such a wimp)

August 3rd, 2012, 1:01 am #2

that really sucks! Curious how the cetaphil treatment worked, let me know. Ever since the girls had it I have been using tea tree oil behind their ears and nape of neck every day before school, have slacked off since school got out. Hope things are good now

August 3rd, 2012, 2:27 am #3

Sigh.

I should consider myself lucky - I have only one child, and she is nearly six, and this is the first time we had to go down this path.

DD's daycamp staff alerted us the other day that they thought they saw nits after she went swimming. I ran around every free minute during my workday yesterday to pick up the LiceMeister comb (pretty good, I must admit) and Cetaphil to use that method.

Last night, did the "test" using conditioner & the comb, probably didn't need to treat but went ahead & did the Cetaphil treatment. While I was doing that, DH rounded up DD's bedding & popped it in the dryer (CDC says you don't have to was everything, but drying it on high kills the buggers).

By 9 pm, I was exhausted. So was DD (early combings/detanglings had her crying, but at least it got easier until we got to the hairdrying part which she hates & which took 4x as long with the Cetaphil in it).

I'm sure it would be major drama over here too! Hang in there...this too shall pass!

August 3rd, 2012, 3:06 am #4

Sigh.

Sounds like I'd better read up on this topic, seems like its everywhere! Hope the cetaphil does the trick and you don't catch them!

Pink

August 3rd, 2012, 11:18 am #5

Sigh.

Not fun, and yes, I did do the Cetaphil treatment a few times on all four of mine, but only two were definitely infested. It felt like I did nothing but nitpicking and using the hair dryer for a week. We were thorough, so it was over in a few days, but it was pretty awful. The least fun week of parenting EV-eh! Oh, I can't think of it anymore! (I'm a wimp, too!) May this be the one and only time for you!

xoxoxoxo
MM

August 3rd, 2012, 6:03 pm #6

Sigh.

My 6 year old DD made it through kindergarten without it and got it at camp too. We just found it. We actually hired someone to come and comb her hair out. We;re still combing every day and finding nits and it's been 2 weeks. Lots of washing, treating and freaking out going on over here so I feel your pain

August 4th, 2012, 3:58 am #7

Sigh.

I hope they all go away quickly! We haven't had to deal with this yet but DS is going into 1st grade this year and I'm worried it will turn up there!

August 7th, 2012, 1:10 am #8

Sigh.

I'm prepared for an outbreak, but it never occurred to me that it could happen during the summer at camp. Yikes!

I've been using Fairy Tales, which doubles as a detangler, on both my girls for the past 8 months and so far we've escaped. I think MM-IL's tea tree oil treatment would probably do the same thing although now I'm addicted to using a detangler with my DD's very long hair. Of course, it may also just be genetic luck - I never got nits as a child even though all my brothers got it regularly.

Hope you get over this quickly. Thanks for the info re: cetaphil.

August 7th, 2012, 4:49 pm #9

Sigh.

I've never had an issue but did pick up the comb when we got an email that a couple kids in ds's daycare class had lice.

I ended up returning it (unopened) but that comb was EXPENSIVE. I was told that it's the Cadillac of lice combs. Or was that the Mercedes Benz of lice combs, lol. I can't remember.

Anyway, pls post an update. Did the cetaphil work? I love cetaphil products, especially for kids with sensitive skin.

Z.

August 8th, 2012, 12:29 am #10

Hi Z,
The LiceMeister comb was definitely worth it. I think it was about $14? But because its got metal comb teeth, it can be sterilized in the dishwasher or in boiling water, so I expect we can have it for a long time.

Looking back on last week, I think she had nits/eggs, but we never saw a live louse. We treated with Cetaphil anyway. This week, about 4 days after the treatment, I did the conditioner test again & there was nearly nothing.

So, the process is two step:
1) Conditioner & lice comb: the conditioner stuns the nits/lice so they don't stay attached to the hair & slide out on the comb. You comb as much out as you can, checking the comb with a tissue for eggs/bugs. If you don't see crawling live lice, this may be all you have to do (plus putting all the bedding in the dryer)

2) Cetaphil treatment - we did this, although I don't think I really needed to do it. It takes a LONG TIME to blow dry the hair after you put the Cetaphil in, but DD was able to go to day camp the next day & her hair looked totally normal. We washed it that evening (so, about 24 hours after we put it in, rather than doing it in the morning).

I rechecked her Sunday night with the conditioner & as I said, it looked fine. They say to do it again in another week because of the life cycle of the lice, and if you see more, then treat with Cetaphil again.