Does this sound like peri symptoms to you? (perhaps TMI)

Does this sound like peri symptoms to you? (perhaps TMI)

April 4th, 2012, 8:45 pm #1

I had the worst night of sleep last night. I have a cold with a very bad cough, but thats the easy part. I am 10 days late for AF (first time ever late). Last night, I developed the worst sweating (along with being sick) and having to get up to urinate every two hours. And to top it off, I couldnt sleep. I would take the covers off because I was sweating, and then I was freezing without the covers. Total misery.

Today, no sweats and normal urination. Still with a bad cough.

I saw my dr. today. He said hormonal shifts will cause our bodies to dump large amounts of water all at once, thus the urinary symptoms along with the sweats. Of course hes testing me for all the other stuff (thyroid, diabetes, etc.) but he feels cautiously optimistic that its none of those things.

I cant wait to see what tonight brings. If this is meno, yuck yuck yuck!!

Pink

April 5th, 2012, 12:46 am #2

but maybe not peeing quite as often. Definitely the hot/cold, though. Well, more like hot/normal.

I'm sure you've checked to see if you have a fever? Did your dr run cbc to check for infection, since you have the cough?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

April 5th, 2012, 1:45 am #3

I had the worst night of sleep last night. I have a cold with a very bad cough, but thats the easy part. I am 10 days late for AF (first time ever late). Last night, I developed the worst sweating (along with being sick) and having to get up to urinate every two hours. And to top it off, I couldnt sleep. I would take the covers off because I was sweating, and then I was freezing without the covers. Total misery.

I saw my dr. today. He said hormonal shifts will cause our bodies to dump large amounts of water all at once, thus the urinary symptoms along with the sweats. Of course hes testing me for all the other stuff (thyroid, diabetes, etc.) but he feels cautiously optimistic that its none of those things.

Pink
When I am late for AF (which is often) the hot mess starts often at night. It can wake me up. Also progesterone depletes your body first (prior to estrogen) and progesterone helps you sleep so that could be part of it as well.

Some how I had it in my mind that Oprah grew old gracefully - I'm not sure. LOL

April 5th, 2012, 4:51 pm #4

Pink
Since I was given a peri-menopause dx over 10 years ago, I believe I've had a little bit of every symptom associated with it. The menopausal symptoms can be and are everything. It would be great to get your estrogen and progesterone levels checks because it is very easy to supplement with natural hormones. Even the tiniest amount can help so much. Also, absolutely get a thyrid check because that will give you sweats and wake-ups, too.

However, I suffered 4 months of the WORST bug I've ever had this winter. I didn't get my period the entire time except for tiny spots. The cough, sweats, urination, very low fever (with sweats and freezing) and it feels very much like the peri-menopausal symptoms I had in my late 30s combined with undx thyroid disease. They are also a lot of the symptoms I had every first trimester I had. So, my head was spinning thinking how can menopause make me feel like I have the flu. I finally got steroid from my doc that helped a great deal, but it did come back a month later.... more steroids later I felt better about 2 months ago. My af came back and has been regular 3x. I think I was so sick that I got irregular and the obvious pre/current menopausal stage I am took a turn, also.

All I can say is be alert to this horrible and strange bug that is going around. My dh has it now and it is horrible... and a little bit different in everyone. The biggest problem we both had was severe exhaustion and a little bloating, too. Very strange bug and what you describe sounds just like it. Feel better, hugs.

April 6th, 2012, 3:11 am #5

but maybe not peeing quite as often. Definitely the hot/cold, though. Well, more like hot/normal.

I'm sure you've checked to see if you have a fever? Did your dr run cbc to check for infection, since you have the cough?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
The dr. did alot of bloodwork, I dont have any results yet and probably wont until Monday with the holidays this weekend.

I had one hot flash during dinner tonight, but it lasted only a couple of seconds. Thankfully I wasnt hot last night, and am hoping for a good night tonight. Still have a horrendous cough though, but Im antibiotics anyway.

Have a nice weekend,

Pink

April 6th, 2012, 3:14 am #6

When I am late for AF (which is often) the hot mess starts often at night. It can wake me up. Also progesterone depletes your body first (prior to estrogen) and progesterone helps you sleep so that could be part of it as well.

Some how I had it in my mind that Oprah grew old gracefully - I'm not sure. LOL
it is better to know what to expect. The other night was a definite hot mess. It was just awful. I had a very brief episode during dinner tonight, but nothing like the other night. Im hoping that my illness was a part of it.

I dont know how Oprah is aging. She has mentioned thyroid troubles and other things on her show, and some days she looks pretty tired when I see her on her network.

Have you supplemented your progesterone? Ive heard there are creams.

Pink

April 6th, 2012, 3:17 am #7

Since I was given a peri-menopause dx over 10 years ago, I believe I've had a little bit of every symptom associated with it. The menopausal symptoms can be and are everything. It would be great to get your estrogen and progesterone levels checks because it is very easy to supplement with natural hormones. Even the tiniest amount can help so much. Also, absolutely get a thyrid check because that will give you sweats and wake-ups, too.

However, I suffered 4 months of the WORST bug I've ever had this winter. I didn't get my period the entire time except for tiny spots. The cough, sweats, urination, very low fever (with sweats and freezing) and it feels very much like the peri-menopausal symptoms I had in my late 30s combined with undx thyroid disease. They are also a lot of the symptoms I had every first trimester I had. So, my head was spinning thinking how can menopause make me feel like I have the flu. I finally got steroid from my doc that helped a great deal, but it did come back a month later.... more steroids later I felt better about 2 months ago. My af came back and has been regular 3x. I think I was so sick that I got irregular and the obvious pre/current menopausal stage I am took a turn, also.

All I can say is be alert to this horrible and strange bug that is going around. My dh has it now and it is horrible... and a little bit different in everyone. The biggest problem we both had was severe exhaustion and a little bloating, too. Very strange bug and what you describe sounds just like it. Feel better, hugs.

Im glad youre feeling better!! How frightening to be sick for months!

I have a horrendous cough, but no more night sweats and urination back to normal.

AF still hasnt showed, so I think I may be heading into meno full swing. Had one little hot flash during dinner tonight, but it was really brief and I was glad.

I dont know if my gyne does the hormone thing. WHen I had a recent visit (without any sign of this hot flash stuff), she said she would give me estrogen cream for dryness if I needed it. She did not mention any oral hormone stuff. Not that shes the only dr. in town!! Good to know it helps.

The only time Ive ever been late for AF was with pregnancy, and Im sure that isnt the case now, so it must just be the start of meno?

Pink

April 6th, 2012, 6:07 pm #8

that was/is the main staple of this bug and why I mentioned it... I would wake up with it and feel like my mouth was coated with a sheet of copy paper. I couldn't get enough to drink and that is why, I think, I had to keep getting up to urinate. Crazy!

But, certainly what you describe are meno symptoms, too. I've had meno symptoms for soooooo many years now that I've stopped waiting for the big change. I do think "creepy crawlies" is a big sign, too. KWIM? I had those this week --prolly cd 9 or so and I'm sure my poor old ovary was saying "leave me alone!" I hate that feeling and wonder which hormone/lack of hormone does it.

Well, good luck! ...and don't let that cough go too long.