DD is hogging my iPad... Need another tablet... Opinions on Samsung Galaxy?? Others??

DD is hogging my iPad... Need another tablet... Opinions on Samsung Galaxy?? Others??

June 25th, 2012, 3:12 pm #1

The tile says it all.

I love the iPad for DD. She will be 3 in August and is already recognizing many letters, numbers, patterns, etc. I truly suspect she'll grow up to be a book worm like I did.

The problem is - she uses it a lot - so we need to look into another one for me.

I'm trying to decide on another iPad or another tablet - one that DD will know that is mine. I am considering the Samsung Galaxy. Or should I just get another iPad?

I thought about the Kindle Fire, but the reviews said it was very limited - basically - that it was still very much a Kindle. And for the price difference between the Fire and the Galaxy - might as well go with the Galaxy.

And by the way - I did consider the older versions of the Kindle e-readers, but I did not like that I couldn't use them in the dark. I love reading at night while DH is flipping through channels. I don't have a night light nor want to buy a little night light for the tablet.

TIA for your suggestions...

June 25th, 2012, 3:52 pm #2

What do you want it to do? how much do you want it to cost?

If you don't like mentally shifting gears between Mac vs. PC, then stick to ipad.

If you want to have a standard USB port (I heard) to access pc files, or spend slightly less, go Galaxy.

If you like games and want high high def and fast refreshing, go Asus Transformer Prime.

If you want the Windows system and a cover that doubles as a keyboard, wait for the Windows Surface, but I've heard it might cost $1k or more.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

June 25th, 2012, 4:53 pm #3

The tile says it all.

I love the iPad for DD. She will be 3 in August and is already recognizing many letters, numbers, patterns, etc. I truly suspect she'll grow up to be a book worm like I did.

The problem is - she uses it a lot - so we need to look into another one for me.

I'm trying to decide on another iPad or another tablet - one that DD will know that is mine. I am considering the Samsung Galaxy. Or should I just get another iPad?

I thought about the Kindle Fire, but the reviews said it was very limited - basically - that it was still very much a Kindle. And for the price difference between the Fire and the Galaxy - might as well go with the Galaxy.

And by the way - I did consider the older versions of the Kindle e-readers, but I did not like that I couldn't use them in the dark. I love reading at night while DH is flipping through channels. I don't have a night light nor want to buy a little night light for the tablet.

For my kids (4 and 5) and they love it. It's $200 and plays all the games you might want to play like monkey lunchbox etc. you can download any app.

Just my 2 cents!

June 25th, 2012, 6:48 pm #4

The tile says it all.

DS wanted an itouch for xmas (he is 8.5)and so far I must say I have refused. DD got a ipd nano that she half paid with her piggy pank money and half we gave her for stellar grades when she just finished 2nd grade. I think I might look into giving DS a Kindle Fire for xmas, since this would support reading and research to a higher degree. I don't see for us the need to have a 2nd ipad in the house since at this age my kids' screen hours have to be scensored or watching TV, playing computer games and ipad is all they will gravitate too. I have also found that educational ipad games are quite limited once you move past the preschool age. I am a bit disappointed about that. We still love it though. They play with it for some chill out time or when we travel to watch movies, listen to the music, play games etc.

Last edited by SabinaCA on June 25th, 2012, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 25th, 2012, 7:45 pm #5

What do you want it to do? how much do you want it to cost?

If you don't like mentally shifting gears between Mac vs. PC, then stick to ipad.

If you want to have a standard USB port (I heard) to access pc files, or spend slightly less, go Galaxy.

If you like games and want high high def and fast refreshing, go Asus Transformer Prime.

If you want the Windows system and a cover that doubles as a keyboard, wait for the Windows Surface, but I've heard it might cost $1k or more.

ttc since 1998
I basically want to use it for the Kindle app and the internet when I'm in a Wi-Fi setting. I also like the calendar feature on the iPad that is sync-ed with my Yahoo account. For this - I want to spend $200 or less.

I don't mind the Mac vs. PC. I actually work off of a PC at home and have no trouble switching. I used to have a Smartphone (Droid) and have since downgraded to a basic phone since getting the iPad.

I use the Dropbox to access my files on the iPad - granted that I can't really do anything with it on the iPad. Interesting to know that the Galaxy has a USB port.

Games don't matter - but there needs to be something for DD on one of the tablets.

June 25th, 2012, 7:46 pm #6

For my kids (4 and 5) and they love it. It's $200 and plays all the games you might want to play like monkey lunchbox etc. you can download any app.

Just my 2 cents!
I have been told that once you have experienced the iPad - it's "hard to go back." In other words - DD might not like using the Kindle Fire after the iPad.

June 25th, 2012, 7:59 pm #7

DS wanted an itouch for xmas (he is 8.5)and so far I must say I have refused. DD got a ipd nano that she half paid with her piggy pank money and half we gave her for stellar grades when she just finished 2nd grade. I think I might look into giving DS a Kindle Fire for xmas, since this would support reading and research to a higher degree. I don't see for us the need to have a 2nd ipad in the house since at this age my kids' screen hours have to be scensored or watching TV, playing computer games and ipad is all they will gravitate too. I have also found that educational ipad games are quite limited once you move past the preschool age. I am a bit disappointed about that. We still love it though. They play with it for some chill out time or when we travel to watch movies, listen to the music, play games etc.

I worry about DD's (crazy) addiction to the iPad. She was never really much of a doll / toys person. However, in the last month or so, she has started to play with her dolls more so I'm feeling better about that. I was pretty much the same way - didn't care for toys and preferred books 100 times over. Still - I worry... I don't know how to encourage her to play with her toys. Her room is packed with them and yet, they sit....undisturbed...

Anyway - DD plays with games/apps that are a bit advanced. She plays with puzzles, mazes, tracing letters, the PBS app, songs, etc. She also has a bunch of "read to me" apps.

I think my biggest concern is that we do some traveling and DD wants the iPad at the same time I do. I like to read on the Kindle app while she likes to play. If she thinks it's in my bag, she'll ask for it. I already commute 45 minutes 2X daily to work so any time DH is driving, I'd prefer to read or find something else to do!! (LOL)

She has a Mobigo that she got for her 2nd birthday. Not even one year and the thing is starting to short out. She gets so frustrated and I do, too. For what we paid for the thing, it doesn't seem to make sense to get another one or even the LeapPad, the InnovTab, or whatever is out there....

June 25th, 2012, 8:36 pm #8

I have twins and my DD also doesn't play with toys and never has. I didn't think it is possible but we go to ToysRUs and there is literally nothing she'd like to buy apart from arts and crafts. Your DD is a little young, but she might like to get interested in some activities like arts or dance? My DD is now heavily into sports, she mainly figure skates several times a week, but also does gymnastics and ballet. When we are home, she will practice in front of the mirror and stretch. She also reads but not with the same zest as her brother does. My DS has other interests, loves Lego, drawing and reading. But for both if electronics are around and nobody says no, that's what they'll do...

I'm unfamiliare with the kiddy game console you mention. My kids had Leapsters and DS liked it okay, but DD never took to it. There is also Nintento DS and they make some educational games you could check out. It's small and handy for travel.

June 25th, 2012, 10:57 pm #9

I basically want to use it for the Kindle app and the internet when I'm in a Wi-Fi setting. I also like the calendar feature on the iPad that is sync-ed with my Yahoo account. For this - I want to spend $200 or less.

I don't mind the Mac vs. PC. I actually work off of a PC at home and have no trouble switching. I used to have a Smartphone (Droid) and have since downgraded to a basic phone since getting the iPad.

I use the Dropbox to access my files on the iPad - granted that I can't really do anything with it on the iPad. Interesting to know that the Galaxy has a USB port.

Games don't matter - but there needs to be something for DD on one of the tablets.

I think I wasn't exactly accurate. I took another look, and it seems that at least with the newer tablets, you need an adaptor, but at least they make one. I don't think that's an option with ipad.

ttc since 1998

June 26th, 2012, 12:51 am #10

The tile says it all.

and purchase a second iPad, with a different case or cover that distinguishes it as yours (or you could password-lock the screen, so she will get discouraged when she picks up yours)

There are a few ways you could go. I just found out the Apple sells refurbished iPads at quite a savings (go to apple dot com and search refurbished to see what is available) They come with a 1 yr. warranty

The other option (the one we just chose this weekend) is Best Buy has put on sale the iPad2 32 and 64gig models that apple has discontinued making. You can get a 32 gig at best buy for the same price as the 16 gig at the apple store. We picked up a 64 gig model for only $50 more than the 16 gig at the apple store. You can purchase the same apple care warranty, etc.

A third option would be to purchase your DD a iTouch. A much smaller screen, but my kids love the one my sister has. I think you could purchase one of those in the 200-300 range pricewise.

We have a MobiGo and a Leapster Explorer (owned these before the iPad) but in my experience even with my 3 y/o, once they experience the iPad, the others pale in comparison.

I dont know much about the other tablets out there. I just love the wide variety of apps for the iPad. Plus I have an iPhone so some of the games cross over to my phone!!

Can you believe how tech-savvy these little kids are? Its amazing!!

Pink