Childless until Friday evening (m)

Childless until Friday evening (m)

cy2

May 9th, 2012, 6:51 am #1

I took DS to school at 6 a.m. this morning for breakfast and then put him on the bus with the rest of the 4th grade to go on the annual Big Island trip. No parents allowed! They are in groups of 5 to 6 with an adult chaperone in each group. They flew to Kona and made their way to the Volcano National Park area. They'll stay at the military camp (5 to 6 to a room with bunks; buffet cafeteria with soft serve ice cream machine). They have hikes planned to the steam vents, through a lava tube, across a crater, and through a petroglyph field. They also went to the black sand beach. They will take a crater perimeter ride, tour a cookie/candy factory, sight see in Hilo, go to the zoo with the white tiger (Namaste), bowl, etc.

We put DS' name or initials on everything. Each sock, all clothing, toothpaste tube and other toiletry items, sleep clothes, etc. He has a brand new Coolpix camera. He tends to be very responsible, so I am looking forward to seeing how much of his stuff he brings back at the end of the trip.

We won't be in contact until we pick him back up on Friday evening. It's a full 4 days and three nites. DS was happy and excited. He said, "I hope you won't be insulted, but I'm looking forward to being away from home."

He's had some peer issues at school and we're finishing up a mediocre (at best) year with a lackluster teacher.

His chaperone is the Middle School principal who I really like.

Since he won't be calling home, DS and I agreed to do mental telepathy to eachother at lights out time each nite.

It's certainly different around here. DH and I took the dog out to dinner.

May 9th, 2012, 12:54 pm #2

Ours don't go on an overnight class trip until 5th grade. How is the silence? You doing ok?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

May 9th, 2012, 1:04 pm #3

I took DS to school at 6 a.m. this morning for breakfast and then put him on the bus with the rest of the 4th grade to go on the annual Big Island trip. No parents allowed! They are in groups of 5 to 6 with an adult chaperone in each group. They flew to Kona and made their way to the Volcano National Park area. They'll stay at the military camp (5 to 6 to a room with bunks; buffet cafeteria with soft serve ice cream machine). They have hikes planned to the steam vents, through a lava tube, across a crater, and through a petroglyph field. They also went to the black sand beach. They will take a crater perimeter ride, tour a cookie/candy factory, sight see in Hilo, go to the zoo with the white tiger (Namaste), bowl, etc.

We put DS' name or initials on everything. Each sock, all clothing, toothpaste tube and other toiletry items, sleep clothes, etc. He has a brand new Coolpix camera. He tends to be very responsible, so I am looking forward to seeing how much of his stuff he brings back at the end of the trip.

We won't be in contact until we pick him back up on Friday evening. It's a full 4 days and three nites. DS was happy and excited. He said, "I hope you won't be insulted, but I'm looking forward to being away from home."

He's had some peer issues at school and we're finishing up a mediocre (at best) year with a lackluster teacher.

Since he won't be calling home, DS and I agreed to do mental telepathy to eachother at lights out time each nite.

That is so cute!

Wow, what an adjustment, Cy. Our house feels so different when DD is gone even for a sleepover, and when she leaves for a week at Grandma and Grandpa's, it's even more pronounced. But we talk on the phone and email, which I love -- I can only imagine what it's like not having direct contact. I love the idea of mental telepathy, though! (as an aside, my friends and I used to do that with each other, and we actually developed the ability to tune in to what we were thinking. I've started doing it with DD).

Anyway, that's a big trip, isn't it? (Our fourth grade does a two-day, one night trip, and they'll do a two-night, three day trip next year. And they take a bus--not a plane!). But it sounds very well organized and very well-chaperoned, and a whole lot of fun--a tremendous experience. He's going to see, do, and learn so much. I am sure your DS is having a BALL...and feeling so grown-up traveling without parents! (I also bet he will be thrilled to see you and DH on Friday--I wonder who will be more excited, you or DS?)

Here's to a spectacular experience for DS, and a better year next year. And, until Friday, you and DH have the rare opportunity to connect uninterrupted in whatever ways you're unable to do with DS...an extra glass of wine at dinner, candles, cocktails on the terrace, long walks late at night/early in the morning, or just snuggling on the couch watching a movie that isn't made by Pixar. Try to enjoy the gift of this time with each other, and plan something special for DS's return on Friday (special dinner, 'welcome back' sign and balloons at home - ?)

Looking forward to hearing how it goes (for all of you)!

xoxox,
Kat.

May 9th, 2012, 1:05 pm #4

Ours don't go on an overnight class trip until 5th grade. How is the silence? You doing ok?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
nt

May 9th, 2012, 3:45 pm #5

"He said, "I hope you won't be insulted, but I'm looking forward to being away from home.""

"DH and I took the dog out to dinner."

Aawwwww

Yeah but can you really relax and not worry while he's away?
Z.

cy2

May 9th, 2012, 7:44 pm #6

nt
We live in Kailua which is a very dog friendly place. These restaurants have outdoor seating and allow you to tie your dog to your chair or the outside railing.

There is a cute dog drinking fountain in the open area by the decorative people fountain (for penny throwing). You step on the lever with your foot and a drinking fountain mounted about 8-10 inches off the ground turns on.

Last nite we went to Prima with a more adult menu than CPK. Fluffy loves to go out and sit under the table and people watch, plus catch an occasional crumb.

The Pier One Imports store is dog friendly. A sales person saw DH and the dog waiting outside once and invited them into the store saying that they were a dog-friendly place. We declined of course, since we didn't want to tempt Fluffy to leave his 'I wuz hea' liquid graffiti inside the store. He's usually very good, but you never know.

cy2

May 9th, 2012, 8:13 pm #7

That is so cute!

Wow, what an adjustment, Cy. Our house feels so different when DD is gone even for a sleepover, and when she leaves for a week at Grandma and Grandpa's, it's even more pronounced. But we talk on the phone and email, which I love -- I can only imagine what it's like not having direct contact. I love the idea of mental telepathy, though! (as an aside, my friends and I used to do that with each other, and we actually developed the ability to tune in to what we were thinking. I've started doing it with DD).

Anyway, that's a big trip, isn't it? (Our fourth grade does a two-day, one night trip, and they'll do a two-night, three day trip next year. And they take a bus--not a plane!). But it sounds very well organized and very well-chaperoned, and a whole lot of fun--a tremendous experience. He's going to see, do, and learn so much. I am sure your DS is having a BALL...and feeling so grown-up traveling without parents! (I also bet he will be thrilled to see you and DH on Friday--I wonder who will be more excited, you or DS?)

Here's to a spectacular experience for DS, and a better year next year. And, until Friday, you and DH have the rare opportunity to connect uninterrupted in whatever ways you're unable to do with DS...an extra glass of wine at dinner, candles, cocktails on the terrace, long walks late at night/early in the morning, or just snuggling on the couch watching a movie that isn't made by Pixar. Try to enjoy the gift of this time with each other, and plan something special for DS's return on Friday (special dinner, 'welcome back' sign and balloons at home - ?)

Looking forward to hearing how it goes (for all of you)!

xoxox,
Kat.
My friends children at public schools also have 4th grade Big Island trips. Compared to 20 years ago, we have it great. One of the chaperones sends a nightly email with a few pictures and report on highlights.

Yes, things are different at home. I wish I could say DH and I are spending the time having fun. Actually things have been quite difficult. I haven't posted details here because I've been too busy workwise and haven't been in a good space to share or ask for thoughts here.

In some ways it's great that DS isn't here. If things come to another ugly confrontation, I don't want him here. It just complicates things.

It's nice to have DS gone, since he is often the driving reason for the tension/problems at home. His behavior, plus habitual "driving a wedge" between DH and me has been really awful. DS even admitted to me that he escalates his bad behavior in front of DH because he thinks that DH will step in and yell at me and make me back off from making DS mind.

So, with that glimpse of the maladaptive behavior in my household, you can imagine the problems. Part of DS' behavior is learned habit, but there are also parts that he can't easily control. The tricky part is teasing out the differences and worse yet, trying to get DH on board to see how DH's behavior is making things worse.

Yesterday I was too sleep deprived to deal with things. I just took a needed rest and went with the flow. It was nicely pleasant with DH and I having a decent dinner out. We're pretty much around eachother all day since we both work from home. Even with that, we're very out of touch.

You're right about this being a good opportunity to re-connect with DH. I realy don't know where we'll end up. I know I've had it with certain things and if they don't change, I'm out of here.

Thanks for the sweet note. It helped raise me from the funk I've fallen into recently.

cy2

May 9th, 2012, 8:16 pm #8

"He said, "I hope you won't be insulted, but I'm looking forward to being away from home.""

"DH and I took the dog out to dinner."

Aawwwww

Yeah but can you really relax and not worry while he's away?
Z.
with pictures from two of the chaperones.

The weather was great. The surroundings were beautiful. I think this is a great experience for DS. He's very well supervised and is practicing being more independent.

I'm grateful for the policy of "no parents". Otherwise DH would insist on being there and that doesn't encourage DS to mature and find his way.

May 10th, 2012, 8:13 pm #9

Aww, that's so sweet! Congrats to DS for taking such a big step!

Last time DH and I had time to ourselves without the boys....gosh I can't remember. I hope you are doing equal amounts of enjoying the freedom/missing him!

Hope next year's school year is better with better teacher.

xoxo
Lillian

cy2

May 11th, 2012, 6:16 am #10

I'm actually enjoying not having him here. I am enjoying not packing lunch, eating popcorn for dinner at 9:30 p.m., not picking him up from school or having to supervise homework, etc.

He'll be home tomorrow, so it will be so soon.