Birthday party question

May 6th, 2012, 12:50 pm #1

My son just got invited to his first bday party. Its for a little girl in his preschool. She seems very friendly with my son.

Her party is going to be at a very nice venue, a bouncy house place.

My question is, do you increase the gift amount for a nicer venue?

I was thinking $20, but should I go up a bit? My son wants to get her something that is $30, but he doesnt have the final say:)

Pink
Last edited by Pinkdandelion on May 6th, 2012, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 1:18 pm #2

Most ppl I know spend around $15.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

May 6th, 2012, 2:13 pm #3

My son just got invited to his first bday party. Its for a little girl in his preschool. She seems very friendly with my son.

I was thinking $20, but should I go up a bit? My son wants to get her something that is $30, but he doesnt have the final say:)

Pink
I've neven even heard of anyone buying a gift proportional to the venue (lesser or greater value)...and $15 is also the target amount for us.

I think you're fine with what you are planning!

May 6th, 2012, 6:03 pm #4

Pink
unless it's a good friend and you found the perfect gift for 30$...

but keep in mind, she'll be getting, what, 15 gifts? or however many kids will be there. Real gift gems can often be found in the 10$ range too.

jm

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 7th, 2012, 12:20 am #5

Most ppl I know spend around $15.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
I saw alot of cute things at Target for $15!!

Pink

May 7th, 2012, 12:21 am #6

I've neven even heard of anyone buying a gift proportional to the venue (lesser or greater value)...and $15 is also the target amount for us.

I think you're fine with what you are planning!
I am new to this bday party stuff. Its good to know what the going rate is!!

Thanks!

Pink

May 7th, 2012, 12:22 am #7

unless it's a good friend and you found the perfect gift for 30$...

but keep in mind, she'll be getting, what, 15 gifts? or however many kids will be there. Real gift gems can often be found in the 10$ range too.

jm

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have met the mom at pickup/dropoff, but dont know the family otherwise. The little girl seems very friendly with my son, but my son is super friendly anyway:)

I think Im going to seek out some of those fun $15 ideas!!

Pink

May 7th, 2012, 1:53 am #8

Pink
I have upped the value of the gift before, for BFFs of our kids, but for not other reason. We've had various different birthday parties and at various venues. We usually spend the same amount on each kid and if it's a bit more for the BFF I think that's totally fine!

May 7th, 2012, 2:52 am #9

Pink
to get her what your son wants. If I know the child and see a gift that they will love that costs more than the suggested amount, I'll spend the extra.

For the christmas exchange at ds #1's daycare the suggest price was up to 10 bucks. I got a really nice prezzie that was probably around 15 bucks for the child I picked since it was just hard to get something decent for less than that. We opened ds's gift at home and I was shocked. I felt bad. The gift cost 40 bucks plus taxes. I know that's what it cost because I saw it while shopping for the other kids gift.

I can only hope that the kid whose parents got ds's gift, got something that they really, really wanted.

I'd go up but not too much to cause discomfort.

Z.

May 7th, 2012, 4:28 am #10

Pink
As the others say, I don't think the venue has anything to do with how much you spend on a present. I usually try for $15 (though as I recently posted, my DS bought a $30 for a friend of his -- only b/c DH took him out to buy the present. I'd never have spent that much on a school friend, though I have spent that much on a relative or the child of a BFF.)