May 7th, 2012, 5:15 am #11

I have upped the value of the gift before, for BFFs of our kids, but for not other reason. We've had various different birthday parties and at various venues. We usually spend the same amount on each kid and if it's a bit more for the BFF I think that's totally fine!

This seems to be the trend amongst everyone who has responded, and I think were all in different parts of the country. How interesting!!

Pink

May 7th, 2012, 5:17 am #12

to get her what your son wants. If I know the child and see a gift that they will love that costs more than the suggested amount, I'll spend the extra.

For the christmas exchange at ds #1's daycare the suggest price was up to 10 bucks. I got a really nice prezzie that was probably around 15 bucks for the child I picked since it was just hard to get something decent for less than that. We opened ds's gift at home and I was shocked. I felt bad. The gift cost 40 bucks plus taxes. I know that's what it cost because I saw it while shopping for the other kids gift.

I can only hope that the kid whose parents got ds's gift, got something that they really, really wanted.

I'd go up but not too much to cause discomfort.

Z.
With the fear of unemployment, I dont think I can afford anything right now!!

I agree that it does make it uncomfortable (like your story) when someone goes way over the suggested budget.

I wonder sometimes if it isnt wise to buy a few nice gifts post-CHristmas on clearance and put them away for these occasions?

Pink

May 7th, 2012, 5:18 am #13

As the others say, I don't think the venue has anything to do with how much you spend on a present. I usually try for $15 (though as I recently posted, my DS bought a $30 for a friend of his -- only b/c DH took him out to buy the present. I'd never have spent that much on a school friend, though I have spent that much on a relative or the child of a BFF.)
I am convinced that $15 is the right price. The Barbie pet n play puppy that my son picked out is not to be!! (He has one, and absolutely loves it!)

Pink

May 7th, 2012, 9:45 pm #14

My son just got invited to his first bday party. Its for a little girl in his preschool. She seems very friendly with my son.

Her party is going to be at a very nice venue, a bouncy house place.

My question is, do you increase the gift amount for a nicer venue?

I was thinking $20, but should I go up a bit? My son wants to get her something that is $30, but he doesnt have the final say:)

Pink
Maybe I'm just penny pinching, but honestly, for preschool, I go way lower than $15. My typical preschool birthday gift is a book from our local kids bookstore. For a girl, something like Fancy Nancy or Pinkalicious. Softcover would be my first choice at that age. So, that would be about $8.95. Have your son make a "card" - essentially, make a picture for the birthday girl.

S

May 8th, 2012, 12:57 pm #15

...my goal was always under $10 in preschool. Even now, if I can get away with it, I will (DD is in 4th grade). If I see something nice on sale, I'll buy it and keep it till birthday time -- I don't think it's necessary to spend a lot of money on classmates' birthday gifts, or friends' birthday gifts--and I don't expect people to spend a lot on DD, either.

May 9th, 2012, 3:57 pm #16

With the fear of unemployment, I dont think I can afford anything right now!!

I agree that it does make it uncomfortable (like your story) when someone goes way over the suggested budget.

I wonder sometimes if it isnt wise to buy a few nice gifts post-CHristmas on clearance and put them away for these occasions?

Pink
"I wonder sometimes if it isnt wise to buy a few nice gifts post-CHristmas on clearance and put them away for these occasions?"

You just have to think ahead of who you're buying what for and keep track so you don't forget what you have. It's the most cost effective and least stressful way to shop for gifts. I do it year round for every occasion.

Z.