Birthday dilemna update!!

Birthday dilemna update!!

September 17th, 2011, 9:55 pm #1

After reading all of your insightful posts last night, I had an idea--You Tubesearch: Haba Marble run.

Found tons of videos showing kids playing with their cool Haba marble runs with all the fun accessories.

The videos totally sold my son on the Haba, even after showing him his original wooden marble run choice from the birthday list.

Thank you for the idea to show him both and let him choose!!

Pink

September 17th, 2011, 10:37 pm #2

I always wish I had bought one, and now mine are probably too old.

xoxoxo
MM

September 18th, 2011, 10:41 am #3

After reading all of your insightful posts last night, I had an idea--You Tubesearch: Haba Marble run.

Found tons of videos showing kids playing with their cool Haba marble runs with all the fun accessories.

The videos totally sold my son on the Haba, even after showing him his original wooden marble run choice from the birthday list.

Pink
...I bought a wood marble run for DD years ago from Magic Cabin or Hearth something-or-other, and it looked like the original one that your son wanted, except these blocks were colored. Otherwise, it looked much like yours -- same number and shapes of pieces, etc.

It was so hard to use. Even with our help, pieces wouldn't stay where we put them, marbles weren't moving freely, etc. DD would always end up crying when we tried to play with it, so we sent it back, and that was my feeling when I looked at the link you provided (I started to reply yesterday, but ran out of time).

The HABA set looks fabulous -- more practical and user-friendly (and I love Haba products!). I'd guess kids have a minimum of user-frustration with that set, and much more fun! I was going to suggest (as wcl did, I think) leaving the catagogue out where DS could see the photo, but YoutTube videos -- ? Genius!! Well done, mamma!

I'm sure the Haba set will give DS hours of enjoyment, and you too!
Last edited by piove on September 18th, 2011, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 19th, 2011, 12:49 am #4

Pink
Wow, never thought of looking for a video. My new go-to!

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 50, dh 50
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

September 20th, 2011, 5:11 am #5

I always wish I had bought one, and now mine are probably too old.

xoxoxo
MM
I think they say age 4-8 is the right age. I have been searching to buy them used, but there arent any for sale. I think this is one of those toys people save for the grandchildren some day.

I cant wait to see my son explore and build with this set!
\
Pink

September 20th, 2011, 5:13 am #6

...I bought a wood marble run for DD years ago from Magic Cabin or Hearth something-or-other, and it looked like the original one that your son wanted, except these blocks were colored. Otherwise, it looked much like yours -- same number and shapes of pieces, etc.

It was so hard to use. Even with our help, pieces wouldn't stay where we put them, marbles weren't moving freely, etc. DD would always end up crying when we tried to play with it, so we sent it back, and that was my feeling when I looked at the link you provided (I started to reply yesterday, but ran out of time).

The HABA set looks fabulous -- more practical and user-friendly (and I love Haba products!). I'd guess kids have a minimum of user-frustration with that set, and much more fun! I was going to suggest (as wcl did, I think) leaving the catagogue out where DS could see the photo, but YoutTube videos -- ? Genius!! Well done, mamma!

I'm sure the Haba set will give DS hours of enjoyment, and you too!
Your experience is exactly what I fear with the original set. Lots of frustration and no fun, and money thrown out the window.

I am looking forward to the Haba set. I think Ill be playing with it as much as he does!!

Pink

September 20th, 2011, 5:15 am #7

Wow, never thought of looking for a video. My new go-to!

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 50, dh 50
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
to find those videos. I have never been much of a You Tube user, but when I googled Haba marble run starter set, the you tube videos came up on the search. Lucky me!!

I think he will love them, and have lots of fun!!

Pink