Anyone home canners here? (offshoot from discussion below!)

Anyone home canners here? (offshoot from discussion below!)

July 29th, 2011, 1:49 am #1

I am a self confessed addict of canning, drying, preserving. I would LOVE to here what anyone here is doing? We have done bread and butter and dill pickles and my favorites are the jams: blueberry, cherry, wild raspberry and blackberry. When the peaches are ready I am going to give them a shot (messed them up the one time I tried) and apple season will be on us soon---quarts of applesauce and apple butter. I dried some cherries too and will start drying herbs next week. Our basil is almost ready for making and freezing pesto...and tomatoes! Yeah!

We have 30 broiler chickens that will be ready for "processing" in about 6 weeks. That should hold us over for a bit!

Anyone doing any canning? What are your favorites? Any secrets to share?

Check Chick, One Tube and Ovary, FSH 15.9
Me: 37, DH: 37
DD: Born 5/25/07 via c-section. 8 pounds 8 ounces, 21 3/4 inches long!

DS: Born 3/9/09 via c-section. 8 pounds 15 ounces, 21 3/4 inches long!

July 29th, 2011, 3:47 am #2

it was fun. I think I got the recipe from the Ball website. It's alot of work, but very rewarding and delicious. A friend of mine swears by the freezer jelly recipe on the back of the pectin box--no processing necessary!!

Pink

July 29th, 2011, 4:39 am #3

I am a self confessed addict of canning, drying, preserving. I would LOVE to here what anyone here is doing? We have done bread and butter and dill pickles and my favorites are the jams: blueberry, cherry, wild raspberry and blackberry. When the peaches are ready I am going to give them a shot (messed them up the one time I tried) and apple season will be on us soon---quarts of applesauce and apple butter. I dried some cherries too and will start drying herbs next week. Our basil is almost ready for making and freezing pesto...and tomatoes! Yeah!

We have 30 broiler chickens that will be ready for "processing" in about 6 weeks. That should hold us over for a bit!

Anyone doing any canning? What are your favorites? Any secrets to share?

I LOVE canning! Already finished strawberry, blueberry, and cherry jam along with dill pickles! This weekend i have 14 lbs of green beans and 10 lbs of carrots to do! Planning on jalepenos, peaches, apples, tomatoes, salsa, marmalade, chilies (frozen), broth and squash (frozen) still this season! I do it because I love to know where my food came from and how it was grown. And I think it's fun!

July 29th, 2011, 12:15 pm #4

it was fun. I think I got the recipe from the Ball website. It's alot of work, but very rewarding and delicious. A friend of mine swears by the freezer jelly recipe on the back of the pectin box--no processing necessary!!

Pink
and it makes applesauce a breeze! Just wash quarter and cook the apples, put them through the strainer and voila! I can do a bushel in no time flat. I have never tried freezer jams because we don't have space in the freezer! When we get our new freezer chest to hold the chickens I will give it a try. You can even make jelly out of bottled grape juice!

July 29th, 2011, 12:17 pm #5

I LOVE canning! Already finished strawberry, blueberry, and cherry jam along with dill pickles! This weekend i have 14 lbs of green beans and 10 lbs of carrots to do! Planning on jalepenos, peaches, apples, tomatoes, salsa, marmalade, chilies (frozen), broth and squash (frozen) still this season! I do it because I love to know where my food came from and how it was grown. And I think it's fun!
This is our first real season in this garden since we moved in last year, so we are getting the kinks out. Amazing what you have planned! DId you grown all those beans and carrots? Are you canning or freezing them? We have tons of tomatoes but because of he heat are losing alot to blossom end rot, so I go and buy tons of "seconds" at the farm stand for sauce.

Yes, it is alot work but I just love it.

I would love a marmalade recipe!

July 29th, 2011, 12:57 pm #6

I would love to learn what to do with the beans we keep getting. And cherries. And blueberries.

Any guidance or tutorial is appreciated, Wren. We are overdosing on beans right now, etc, and would love to have them in the fall/winter. And cherries, and blueberries and soon blackberries.

July 29th, 2011, 2:26 pm #7

Am I allowed to put links to other sites on here? I could lead you to some tutorials.

You could easily freeze the beans and berries if you don't have time to can them!

Let me know what you would like to do and I'll try to help!

July 29th, 2011, 2:43 pm #8

I think so, Wren, but we can wait to hear what KM says.

I am soooo excited! Thank you. We are such rookies in the kitchen and having so much fun with our CSA.....but we need help with the abundance of food and ensuring we don't waste it.

Thank you, thank you, Wren! (And KM for allowing links, if that's ok with you.)

July 29th, 2011, 3:14 pm #9

buy or borrow a pressure canner and a water canner or jumbo stockpot. you will need the pressure canner for many veggies you might can so are able to process the jars safely. Get some ball or kerr canning jars and some extra lids. I find these at a local hardware store, but you can find this time of year at a place like target/walmart, if you have those.

If i can't post links I'll type instructions but it would take so much time and be easier to post links. we will see what km says!

July 29th, 2011, 3:18 pm #10

This is our first real season in this garden since we moved in last year, so we are getting the kinks out. Amazing what you have planned! DId you grown all those beans and carrots? Are you canning or freezing them? We have tons of tomatoes but because of he heat are losing alot to blossom end rot, so I go and buy tons of "seconds" at the farm stand for sauce.

Yes, it is alot work but I just love it.

I would love a marmalade recipe!

Our garden is too small to grow more than what we eat fresh, so we go straight to the farmers we know for our veggies. Bought the beans and carrots this week from one of them. The tomatoes come from another farmer we know. and the fruit comes via a friend who goes over the mountain for them when she had enough orders (and we HAVE to order at least 20lbs! I did 80lbs of apples last year alone! It was......... a lot!).

I'lll post recipe when i get permission.