Alex!!! High five for you! Don't Shoot the Dog is (m)

Alex!!! High five for you! Don't Shoot the Dog is (m)

cy2

February 9th, 2012, 11:51 pm #1

a great book. It's even more meaningful because Sea Life Park is about 10 minutes from our house.

It's funny, but as I discussed the clicker training with DS and told him about examples in the book he asked if we could buy a clicker for me to use with him. He also pointed out that we could try to clicker-train the dog if it didn't work on DS. For $4 at Walmart, I think it may be a great idea.

When I think about some of the recommended parenting books and articles, they really are extensions of the Don't Shoot the Dog training philosophy.

I've already recommended it to at least 5 people, including the Head of our school and Lower school principal.

Thank you for sharing. Definitely one of my best reads in a while.

cy

February 10th, 2012, 1:11 am #2

Cy,

Glad you like it, that is too funny about your DS. He sounds like mine, who is always about a half-step ahead of me, it's exhausting (but funny). Mine recently told me (unprompted), "I'm noisy, but I'm sweet." Too true...

I need to get that book back out of my library and re-read it now that DS is verbal and getting ahead of me. I do remember liking it and also that it has good tips not just for ways the things we do shape others' behaviors (for better or worse) but also how we can apply those insights to ourselves.

Best wishes,
Alex

cy2

February 10th, 2012, 9:06 pm #3

It might work for things like procrastination and staying up too late, but probably not to restrict my dark chocolate consumption. . .

February 10th, 2012, 9:36 pm #4

nt

February 11th, 2012, 2:55 am #5

a great book. It's even more meaningful because Sea Life Park is about 10 minutes from our house.

It's funny, but as I discussed the clicker training with DS and told him about examples in the book he asked if we could buy a clicker for me to use with him. He also pointed out that we could try to clicker-train the dog if it didn't work on DS. For $4 at Walmart, I think it may be a great idea.

When I think about some of the recommended parenting books and articles, they really are extensions of the Don't Shoot the Dog training philosophy.

I've already recommended it to at least 5 people, including the Head of our school and Lower school principal.

Thank you for sharing. Definitely one of my best reads in a while.

cy
will have to check this book out. looking for a parenting book--always looking for parenting techniques... ugg!

February 11th, 2012, 3:14 am #6

NDN,

I do recommend the book. Just to clarify, it is written by an animal trainer and she uses it to talk about the different ways in which what she has learned/uses as an animal trainer also applies to people, and also how "wrong" we (most of us) often get it in terms of how we do or don't respond both to animal behavior but also including people as creatures who, you know, respond to cues, praise, being ignored, etc. So I do think it is a good book and has lots of great insights/advice but it definitely isn't written "as" a parenting book!

Best wishes,
Alex