A beautiful thought about not spanking

A beautiful thought about not spanking

November 10th, 2011, 3:15 am #1

Some of you aren't on Facebook, so you might not have seen this.

This is attributed to Astrid Lindgren. I don't know if that's accurate. It's true enough, even if she didn't say it.

"When I was about twenty years old, I met an old pastor's wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn't believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time.

"But one day when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking--the first in his life. And she told him he would have to go outside and find a switch for her to hit him with. The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying.

"He said to her, 'Mama, I couldn't find a switch, but here's a rock you can throw at me.' All of the sudden a mother understood how the situation felt from the child's point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, it mkaes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone.

"The mother took the boy onto her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence. Because violence begins in the nursery--one can raise children into violence."

~From a peace prize acceptance speech given by Astrid Lindgren, author of Pippi Longstocking

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 50, dh 50
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

November 10th, 2011, 3:21 am #2

will remember this one. thanks for sharing.

November 10th, 2011, 3:59 am #3

This is attributed to Astrid Lindgren. I don't know if that's accurate. It's true enough, even if she didn't say it.

"When I was about twenty years old, I met an old pastor's wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn't believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time.

"But one day when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking--the first in his life. And she told him he would have to go outside and find a switch for her to hit him with. The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying.

"He said to her, 'Mama, I couldn't find a switch, but here's a rock you can throw at me.' All of the sudden a mother understood how the situation felt from the child's point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, it mkaes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone.

"The mother took the boy onto her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence. Because violence begins in the nursery--one can raise children into violence."

~From a peace prize acceptance speech given by Astrid Lindgren, author of Pippi Longstocking

ttc since 1998
and btw. the kids and I have read all her books! LOVE them!!! She is a wise soul!

wcl

November 10th, 2011, 12:37 pm #4

ttc since 1998
Children's book authors have to get their points across in as few words as possible, and this certainly does it for me! Thank you for that memorable quote.

wcl

November 10th, 2011, 2:22 pm #5

brought a tear to my eye ....

V

November 10th, 2011, 5:28 pm #6

ttc since 1998
So true, very wise words. What is spanking other than inflicting physical pain to correct behavior? And why is that deemed acceptable for young children but not adults?

Thanks for sharing.

November 10th, 2011, 6:27 pm #7

ttc since 1998
this teared me up again. I saw it on FB and shared it there. Glad you put it here too.

jm

November 10th, 2011, 10:38 pm #8

ttc since 1998
and makes me feel tearful too - just want to cuddle my boys now who are all sleeping peacefully and looking so angelic (they looked like little devils tonight when I found my freezer defrosted because someone had switched it off but I did not smack anyone and I did not even shout as I really did not know who to blame - probably the 14 months old)

but I did tell them I was not doing stories tonight because I had a terrible mess to clean up (and there was alot of tears over that)

November 11th, 2011, 2:52 am #9

ttc since 1998
that is very moving!

November 11th, 2011, 5:28 am #10

ttc since 1998
I thank you for posting this. My boys were so challenging today, it did run through my mind to give them a swat (and I never hit my kids), but I held back and was happy I did. Now I have something else to think of when those thoughts cross my mind again!

Pink