8-year-old all of a sudden having nightmares - sleepwalking

8-year-old all of a sudden having nightmares - sleepwalking

February 3rd, 2012, 6:12 am #1

My newly 8-year-old DS has been having nightly nightmares for the past week. He has a tiny head-cold and trouble breathing through the nose, but nothing serious. Every night, mostly right after he goes to sleep, probably during the REM sleep phase he wakes up 2-3x hourly, terrified, crying, sleep-walking at times. I'm unable to wake him up and he is completely incoherent. When he wakes up, he doesn't remember a thing. Neither in the morning, memory erased! One early morning I heard a bumping noise and when I got to his room, he had taken the vacuum out of a closet and held it in front of him like weapon to protect himself. Tonight, when he finally woke up and I asked him if he could tell me what scared him, he said it was none of my business

My kids have been excellent sleepers since babyhood and I only remember one short phase of him having bad dreams when he was much younger, probably about 3 years old.

Nothing has changed for him. He has been having a very defiant period in his life, since probably last summer, but it's not really new, he is always pushing the envelope. He is still doing very well in school and has friends. The only shift I have noticed since last summer is that he is much much more drawn to the computer and playing Nintendo, which has led to the time being limited. He wants to read less which was his great love before. But even so, he mostly doesn't spend any time on the computer during the week and probably 30 minutes of TV on one night when the homework for the week is done. The content hasn't changed. He is not watching any more or any scarier TV, if anything it's probably less intense content than a while ago. He is into Lego Ninjago, but I don't think this is the source. On the computer he is mostly watching youtubes of Lego or is on the Lego website. He plays club penguin, but I don't think that's it either. He is reading the 4th Harry Potter book, maybe this is getting too gloomy for his age, but he is such a good reader he is just no longer into the Magic Treehouse etc. books!

Will I be able to find out? Is this normal for this age group? I was thinking about not letting him watch TV or play on the computer for a week and see if this does anything, but it will seem like a punishment to him and that doesn't seem fair... Any ideas?

Last edited by SabinaCA on February 3rd, 2012, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 3rd, 2012, 1:33 pm #2

The nightmares, sleep walking, and upsets at night are not within his control - related to his neurological development - and the sensitivities that hormones can bring on. Choices about behavior, including defiance and back talk (not sharing what scared him), are within his control. Yes, I would definitely take measures to curb that behavior - to get him to understand that being unkind to people carries with it a price.

Having said that, I would change nightly routine to try to wind him down at night with: earlier bed time, dimmer lighting, less high-octane snacks before bedtime (beans and chocolate trigger vivid dreams for me, for example), opt for quiet reading time instead of tv, etc.

[size=300]EllenA[/size]

dx'd high fsh at age 30
ttc 6 years
5 failed clomid cycles
2 failed IVF cycles
#3 IVF/ICSI worked out fine
FET 2 years later didn't work out
Proud mom of an amazing miracle boy.

February 3rd, 2012, 7:16 pm #3

My newly 8-year-old DS has been having nightly nightmares for the past week. He has a tiny head-cold and trouble breathing through the nose, but nothing serious. Every night, mostly right after he goes to sleep, probably during the REM sleep phase he wakes up 2-3x hourly, terrified, crying, sleep-walking at times. I'm unable to wake him up and he is completely incoherent. When he wakes up, he doesn't remember a thing. Neither in the morning, memory erased! One early morning I heard a bumping noise and when I got to his room, he had taken the vacuum out of a closet and held it in front of him like weapon to protect himself. Tonight, when he finally woke up and I asked him if he could tell me what scared him, he said it was none of my business

My kids have been excellent sleepers since babyhood and I only remember one short phase of him having bad dreams when he was much younger, probably about 3 years old.

Nothing has changed for him. He has been having a very defiant period in his life, since probably last summer, but it's not really new, he is always pushing the envelope. He is still doing very well in school and has friends. The only shift I have noticed since last summer is that he is much much more drawn to the computer and playing Nintendo, which has led to the time being limited. He wants to read less which was his great love before. But even so, he mostly doesn't spend any time on the computer during the week and probably 30 minutes of TV on one night when the homework for the week is done. The content hasn't changed. He is not watching any more or any scarier TV, if anything it's probably less intense content than a while ago. He is into Lego Ninjago, but I don't think this is the source. On the computer he is mostly watching youtubes of Lego or is on the Lego website. He plays club penguin, but I don't think that's it either. He is reading the 4th Harry Potter book, maybe this is getting too gloomy for his age, but he is such a good reader he is just no longer into the Magic Treehouse etc. books!

Will I be able to find out? Is this normal for this age group? I was thinking about not letting him watch TV or play on the computer for a week and see if this does anything, but it will seem like a punishment to him and that doesn't seem fair... Any ideas?

I have no experience with this age group ... other than the suggestions above from Ellen the only comment I have is with the books. I just finished reading The Hunger Games and one night I actually had nightmares about it ! Me, an adult ! I am a lot more tense though with DH away, but still, I wonder if a more innocuous book may help too ? Good luck with that though as I know at that age there are certain genres that appeal.

Poor guy, must be scary ...

Hugs
V

February 3rd, 2012, 8:01 pm #4

We have this experience with my niece from 7-11 y/o.
She even went to shower(!!!) in her sleep.
My brother had to install a house alarm to make sure that she does not leave the house at night.
she is 12 now and did not have any sleep-walk this year but she still speaks in her sleep.
This girl is the 2nd daughter of three, an over achiever (taking uni courses on top of her regular school studies) and very socially popular.

sleepwalks is connected to brain activity.

Joy and celebrations,

Adee
Adee

February 4th, 2012, 1:42 am #5

not nightmares. Nightmares they will wake up and remember. Night terrors do come and can last a while, They say they are developmental and are normal. One of my twins had them, it was so aweful! I feel for you, it is scary to see them like that. Do not try to wake him up, that can make him irritable. What really helped me was when I timed about when they were starting, for me it was like an hour or hour half after falling asleep, so I started waking her before that time and found that would break the cycle. Hang in there!

February 4th, 2012, 5:50 am #6

just wanted to tell you that I hope it clears up soon. This sounds very distressing to you.

Pink