My story-(long!)

My story-(long!)

March 11th, 2006, 1:50 am #1

Hello, I am 35( will be 36 next month :( ) , my dh is 43. We have been ttc #1 for 3years now. We have been married for 41/2 years and together for 7years. I got pg after 4mos of just being of the pill, but not really trying and was excastic. We did everything right- vitamins for months before getting pg, eating right, etc. I had a normal scan at 8wks and then started spotting that very day- spotting got heavier and redder so called dr and got in for a scan the following week- it showed heartbeat was gone- baby had stopped developing 3days after my scan. I was devastated- could not believe it. My dr could not get me in for a D&C for 2wks( she is no longer my ob/gyn!!!) and finally the day of my preop, 2 days before my D&C I m/ced at work( lovely).
We tried like crazy to get pg asap after that- charting, everything- and finally went on vacation 12 months later and got my BFP right after. I thought for sure things would be fine this time- never occurred to me I would m/c again. I had m/s and everything this time- went in for scan at 9wks and was found to be a blighted ovum. We were devastated again. Had a D&C the next day( new ob/gyn much better!!)
I was rec. to see an RE as I was almost 35 at this time- had chromosomal work up on my blood, and all the immuno issues. I have MTHFR hetero of both genes. I take folgard twice daily and baby aspirin and progesterone supp post ovulation each month. My body does not respond well after D&C's and it takes me 71/2- 12wks to have af. Because my af took so long to come after that first m/c- my RE did an FSH- and could not believe it but it was 16! Had it rechecked after af came and it was then 19.6! My RE did an ultrasound and over those first few months she watches what she thought was an endometrioma grow on my left ovary and rec. I have it removed and have a lap. So I had a lap/hyst/dye done in 4/05- first the thing on my left ovary ended up being a cystoadenoma( benign ovarian tumor)- took up my whole ovary- so not sure there is much left of my ovary. My RE thought maybe the tumor was the cause of my high FSH- but since all these m/cs have happended- she blames it on my crappy quality of eggs! I had some mild endo that was also removed and some scar bands were found across my uterus- likely form my D&C( wonderful) and she removed them as well. I woke up with a lovely uterine balloon catheter in place- had it removed a week later.
2cycles later I got another BFP( also on vacation). This time I was taking the progesterone supp, folgard, prenatal and baby aspirin. 6wk scan was great and baby measured right on. 7.5wk scan was also perfect as well. WE were getting very excited. Then symptoms went away suddenly at 91/2 wks and went at 10wks for scan and showed heart beat had stopped at 8.5wks. Had my 2nd D&C 2days later. Waited another 9wks for af this time. ( RE also gave me DElestrogen shot this time so as to help prevent scar bands from forming after D&C this time). She also did a hysteroscopy at same time. Chromosome testing showed Triploidy. 2sperm fertilized one egg- bad luck( not usually age related).
So went on vacation again 2cycles later and wham BFP again. This time we added Lovenox injections daily to the folgard, progesterone, baby aspririn and prenatal vitamin. 6wk scan was normal. ( not excited this time- expecting the worst at any day). Had tons of m/s this pg and very tired and painful breasts. 8 wk scan showed no heartbeat. Baby died 3days after my first scan. Had my 3rd D&C on Christmas eve '05. Chromosomes this time showed trisomy 15- not compatable with life. old age/egg stuff. My RE now says likely just bad eggs- but seems confident I will eventually get that "golden egg" and make it 9mos to a healthy baby. She says next pg to skip the lovenox- I am not so sure. My dh has not had any testing- did not see the point. WE know his sperm works- and my m/cs seem to be fluke bad chromosomes- not hereditary stuff. I can't even get him to take a mulitvitamin!
So that is my story. Just had my first cycle since m/c- was right on at 28days ( after waiting 71/2 wks for af after this D&C). I am ready to try again....just need another vacation during ovulation I guess- only time I get pg- maybe if I stayed on vacation for 9mos when I was pg- then I would stay pg...LOL!! Hope you made it this far! I also hope my babbling makes some sense! Looking forward to chatting more!
Nancy m/c oct 03
mmc dec 04
mmc july 05
mmc dec 05

Karlas
Karlas

March 13th, 2006, 6:43 pm #2

Well my story isn't alot different from yours. Dh and I got married in 97 after having been together since 92. We got pg by accident but lost the baby early on. It wasn't completely devastating because we were still young and stupid at the time (please don't take offense). After that one though we decided may we would try. We got pg again a few years later but lost that one at 7 weeks. We then did 3 IUI's and then started testing dh. He was not willing to submit before that point. Turned out he had vericocele and had surgery. At the 6 month mark when his test should have been the best- it was the worst. We ere told then that his results were so bad that we had a less than 1% chance on our own. Well as it turned out we were pg at the time that the doc gave us this news. We were so excited and never imagined that someting would go wrong but at 10 wks found out it was blighted ovum. Devastation wasn't even the word this time. That was our miracle and we just knew that everything would be okay. I was finally tested for fsh levels after that d&C and found out that my level was 12. We then began talking about IVF. I didn't really want to jump into it and financially it was scary. I also had to have my Ruebella vaccination repeated so we got put on hold for 3 months after that. We finally decided to go for IVFin October of 2003. We were waiting to start bcps in Sept until the insu approved the procedure. Well they declined to pay so we were put on hold. As it turns out we got pg naturally the month we should have been on bcps. We now have a very busy 21 month old. When he was 6 wks old dh said that he thought we shouldn't wait to try again. I however wanted to wait a little bit. So when Tanner was not quite 6 months we started trying again. We got pg in July 05 but lost it at 6 1/2 wks and now we are still just waiting to see what happens. With DS- I had researched and we had started herbs and acu. I totally attribute these things to our success with ds. We were also doing both when we got pg this last time. I have since kinda taken a break from the acu. We still take herbs but I have started focusing on paying off debt and taking care of other stuff before I start acu again. I am 34 and dh will be 40 in May.

Oh yeah and I am also a Texas (born and breed) from the Dallas area.

Willa
Willa

March 13th, 2006, 7:20 pm #3

Hello, I am 35( will be 36 next month :( ) , my dh is 43. We have been ttc #1 for 3years now. We have been married for 41/2 years and together for 7years. I got pg after 4mos of just being of the pill, but not really trying and was excastic. We did everything right- vitamins for months before getting pg, eating right, etc. I had a normal scan at 8wks and then started spotting that very day- spotting got heavier and redder so called dr and got in for a scan the following week- it showed heartbeat was gone- baby had stopped developing 3days after my scan. I was devastated- could not believe it. My dr could not get me in for a D&C for 2wks( she is no longer my ob/gyn!!!) and finally the day of my preop, 2 days before my D&C I m/ced at work( lovely).
We tried like crazy to get pg asap after that- charting, everything- and finally went on vacation 12 months later and got my BFP right after. I thought for sure things would be fine this time- never occurred to me I would m/c again. I had m/s and everything this time- went in for scan at 9wks and was found to be a blighted ovum. We were devastated again. Had a D&C the next day( new ob/gyn much better!!)
I was rec. to see an RE as I was almost 35 at this time- had chromosomal work up on my blood, and all the immuno issues. I have MTHFR hetero of both genes. I take folgard twice daily and baby aspirin and progesterone supp post ovulation each month. My body does not respond well after D&C's and it takes me 71/2- 12wks to have af. Because my af took so long to come after that first m/c- my RE did an FSH- and could not believe it but it was 16! Had it rechecked after af came and it was then 19.6! My RE did an ultrasound and over those first few months she watches what she thought was an endometrioma grow on my left ovary and rec. I have it removed and have a lap. So I had a lap/hyst/dye done in 4/05- first the thing on my left ovary ended up being a cystoadenoma( benign ovarian tumor)- took up my whole ovary- so not sure there is much left of my ovary. My RE thought maybe the tumor was the cause of my high FSH- but since all these m/cs have happended- she blames it on my crappy quality of eggs! I had some mild endo that was also removed and some scar bands were found across my uterus- likely form my D&C( wonderful) and she removed them as well. I woke up with a lovely uterine balloon catheter in place- had it removed a week later.
2cycles later I got another BFP( also on vacation). This time I was taking the progesterone supp, folgard, prenatal and baby aspirin. 6wk scan was great and baby measured right on. 7.5wk scan was also perfect as well. WE were getting very excited. Then symptoms went away suddenly at 91/2 wks and went at 10wks for scan and showed heart beat had stopped at 8.5wks. Had my 2nd D&C 2days later. Waited another 9wks for af this time. ( RE also gave me DElestrogen shot this time so as to help prevent scar bands from forming after D&C this time). She also did a hysteroscopy at same time. Chromosome testing showed Triploidy. 2sperm fertilized one egg- bad luck( not usually age related).
So went on vacation again 2cycles later and wham BFP again. This time we added Lovenox injections daily to the folgard, progesterone, baby aspririn and prenatal vitamin. 6wk scan was normal. ( not excited this time- expecting the worst at any day). Had tons of m/s this pg and very tired and painful breasts. 8 wk scan showed no heartbeat. Baby died 3days after my first scan. Had my 3rd D&C on Christmas eve '05. Chromosomes this time showed trisomy 15- not compatable with life. old age/egg stuff. My RE now says likely just bad eggs- but seems confident I will eventually get that "golden egg" and make it 9mos to a healthy baby. She says next pg to skip the lovenox- I am not so sure. My dh has not had any testing- did not see the point. WE know his sperm works- and my m/cs seem to be fluke bad chromosomes- not hereditary stuff. I can't even get him to take a mulitvitamin!
So that is my story. Just had my first cycle since m/c- was right on at 28days ( after waiting 71/2 wks for af after this D&C). I am ready to try again....just need another vacation during ovulation I guess- only time I get pg- maybe if I stayed on vacation for 9mos when I was pg- then I would stay pg...LOL!! Hope you made it this far! I also hope my babbling makes some sense! Looking forward to chatting more!
Nancy m/c oct 03
mmc dec 04
mmc july 05
mmc dec 05
Hello,

I am 40 and 10 months old and ttc since 9/2004. My DH and I have been married for 11 years and together for 14. We got pg right away (first try)and were very surprised and scared of course. All the u/s looked good and my doc talked me into the NT blood work and u/s at 13 weeks (Down Syndrome screening). During the u/s they saw severe malformations of the heart, digestive tract, umbilical artery, brain and hands/feet. It was a literal nightmare that I was not expecting at all. At that time I was so stupid that I didn't even have my DH with me (can't believe that now!) and I was all alons as they were telling me to schedule a D&C. We were devastated and I was especially upset because we are not people who would consider aborting a baby. They suggested an amnio to see what the exact problem was so we did that and the results came back Trisomy 13. After researching we realized that choosing a D&C versus waiting until it died in the womb or minutes to days after birth was really no difference in the final outcome so we opted for the D&C. That was Dec 6 2004.

In February we got pg again (1st time trying) and everything looked great. At 9 weeks I started to spot and during the entire 9th week I went to the doc for u/s and the baby looked fine. I M/Ced naturally and the doc was able to get tissue samples and the results came back with Turner's syndrome, which he thought was fine because I guess 1/2 the m/c are caused bythis problem so it is very common. He said it was the luck of the draw and to try again.

In late May we got pg again (1st try) and before I could get to the doc at 7 weeks I m/c again. No tissue test for this one so we don't know what
happened.

In early Aug we got pg again (1st try again) and my doc's wife was having her babies and he was not available until I wan near 8 weeks. Two days before I went in for the first checkup I started spotting and the baby was gone by the time I got to the office. No tissue sample for that one either.

Now after going to the RE I had all the testing done and they found homo MTHFR and I am on BA and Folic acid (5mg per day). I got pg in Jan of this year (1st time trying) and went to the RE every week. I started spotting at week 6.5 and testing showed low P4 and E2, so I got PIO shots and E2 patches. We saw the HB at 7.5 weeks, and when we went in for the 8.5 week u/s there was no HB and the baby appreared to have died right after the u/s at 7.5 weeks. I had my D&C on Mar 7th and am looking forward to AF so we can try again. We are wiating chromosome tests and expect the baby to have had some sort of chromosome problem.

My DH was never tested for sperm DNA fragmentation, my RE is so sure it is my bag eggs because of my age. I researched it and put him on vit E and C and selenium because that is the treatment for this problem. He provides 1/2 the DNA so we figured that we would cover that aspect even though we don't know why we have this problem. He has been taking the vitamins since 1/15 this year and we should have the benefits of the vitamins for the next pg.

I tried 2 cycles of stims to get more eggs per cycle when I first went to the RE. The first time I got three follies, but no pg. The second time only 1 follie and no BFP again. I was so distraught that we all of a sudden were not getting pg I stopped the stims and that is when we got pg that last time. So, it seems that the fertility drugs either do something to my eggs or my CM so we can't get pg. We did not try IUI and maybe that would be an option for us if we still have m/c for 6, 7 and 8 times.

I think there are still good eggs too. We are just going to keep trying until it seems rediculous (and I don't know when that will be either).

Nancy: please get your husband to take the vit C and E (1 mg each) and the selenium, and a good multivitamin. It can't hurt and he does provide 1/2 the DNA. I get them ready for my DH every morning when I get mine and he just eats them. There is significant studies that show marked improvement on sperm quality with these vitamins. Or, get him tested so you know.

Karlas: congratulations on your DS, I am so happy to hear it is possible that we have hope of a child too.

I think we should all keep this board busier too; I feel quite alone and am happy for the other high FSHers who get pg and have no problems, but why can't we have that too? My SIL got pg at 45 and had *no* problems and had a helathy baby girl born 11/2005. And she used my advice on how to know her cycle... It's very frustrating. Let's keep in touch. I will frequent this board more...

I am in LA too, in case anyone is interested. Thanks for reading if you go through it all.

March 14th, 2006, 1:56 am #4

Well my story isn't alot different from yours. Dh and I got married in 97 after having been together since 92. We got pg by accident but lost the baby early on. It wasn't completely devastating because we were still young and stupid at the time (please don't take offense). After that one though we decided may we would try. We got pg again a few years later but lost that one at 7 weeks. We then did 3 IUI's and then started testing dh. He was not willing to submit before that point. Turned out he had vericocele and had surgery. At the 6 month mark when his test should have been the best- it was the worst. We ere told then that his results were so bad that we had a less than 1% chance on our own. Well as it turned out we were pg at the time that the doc gave us this news. We were so excited and never imagined that someting would go wrong but at 10 wks found out it was blighted ovum. Devastation wasn't even the word this time. That was our miracle and we just knew that everything would be okay. I was finally tested for fsh levels after that d&C and found out that my level was 12. We then began talking about IVF. I didn't really want to jump into it and financially it was scary. I also had to have my Ruebella vaccination repeated so we got put on hold for 3 months after that. We finally decided to go for IVFin October of 2003. We were waiting to start bcps in Sept until the insu approved the procedure. Well they declined to pay so we were put on hold. As it turns out we got pg naturally the month we should have been on bcps. We now have a very busy 21 month old. When he was 6 wks old dh said that he thought we shouldn't wait to try again. I however wanted to wait a little bit. So when Tanner was not quite 6 months we started trying again. We got pg in July 05 but lost it at 6 1/2 wks and now we are still just waiting to see what happens. With DS- I had researched and we had started herbs and acu. I totally attribute these things to our success with ds. We were also doing both when we got pg this last time. I have since kinda taken a break from the acu. We still take herbs but I have started focusing on paying off debt and taking care of other stuff before I start acu again. I am 34 and dh will be 40 in May.

Oh yeah and I am also a Texas (born and breed) from the Dallas area.
Nice to see people posting. Karlas- your story is inspiring- congratulations on your DS! Thats is wonderful and gives me hope.
My dh has not has his sperm checked or his chromosomes-did not want to hear about more obstacles to climb- figured mine were bad enough. Willa- I agree- my dh needs to take vitamins- my RE has suggested this as well. I had bought him Mega Man vitamins after my 3rd m/c- but he just never takes them. He leaves on trips frequently( is a pilot) so hard to nag him daily. I guess I need to tell how important it is for him to take them. Another obstacle(sp?) ( I must be braindead- but that does not look right for sure!!) - anyway- is that he always seems to be gone during ov time....very frustrating.
Well- i hope we continue to use this board- I know there are more of us out there. I know when/if I get a BFP again I will need some mega support- too bad you cannot take valium while pg!!!( or can you!? LOL!!) Looking forward to getting to know you all better. HOpe we all get some super sticky baby dust our way!! Nancy
( oh- and I live in the Houston area- but grew up in Dallas/FT Worth metroplex- graduated high school there!)

sleo
sleo

March 14th, 2006, 5:14 pm #5

Nancy m/c oct 03
mmc dec 04
mmc july 05
mmc dec 05
Nancy, thanks for starting this thread. I think it could be really useful for us. Sorry for how long it's going to be, but you never know what might be useful to someone.

I am 36, about to turn 37 in a few days. DH is 43. We've been married 5 years. After we were married one year, we started TTC #1. It took 4 mos, we had an easy pregnancy, and have one DD, now 2yrs9mos.

When she was 18 months we started TTC #2, when I was 35. That was Nov. 2004. I worried that we might have to deal with a m/c, since they are so common, so we started a little earlier than would have been ideal for me. I got pregnant the first month. In January 2005, at the 7.5 wk checkup, they discovered 3 empty sacs (I think they were empty --maybe there was a yolk sac in 2 of them). Because natural triplets are so unusual, they gave it another week. No fetal poles, so I had a D&C a few days later. I got my period 5 weeks later.

After 3 mos started trying again, expecting to conceive quickly, and then didn't get pregnant until 5 mos later. In October 2005 I had a chemical pregnancy, m/c #2 at 5 wks.

My OB said to go see the RE and I got an appointment the next month. On the day of my appt, I was 12 dpo, and had a faint line on FRER. That ended as another chemical pregnacy - my third m.c.

In Nov. 2005, right after the 3rd m/c, I got my first FSH reading of 15.2. Subsequent readings were 10, 8, and 10, so I feel that the first one was a little high because of the m/c. I got the whole recurrent m/c work-up done (I thought); I am hetero for one copy of the MTHFR gene (the one that's not so bad, that about 60% of the population has). I'm on 4000 mg folic acid, and B6 and B12 and baby aspirin for that. I tested postive for just one of the APA's (did the full panel with that lab out in Calif, can't remember it's name) and my doctor thought that was not of any concern. I thought the only thing I didn't get tested for was NK Killer cells, which he doesn't believe in.

I then had a consult with Dr. Check. He thought the only thing i needed was progesterone. Said maybe LIT might help, but he didn't think so. Thought IUI's were a waste of time for me, and I shouldn't use lots of drugs because that creates a bad uterine environment in people with high FSH. He recommended naturally with prog, or natural IVF if I wanted to get it done fast.

Well, I did one IUI cycle with my local RE, it failed, then got pregnant on a natural cycle 2 mos later, in Feb. 2006. (So, it has taken me 4 mos, 1 mos, 5 mos, 1 mos, 4 mos to get pregnant). My betas doubled nicely up to 22 dpo, and then didn't rise appropriately at 27 dpo, and no fetal pole at the 7wk u/s, so had a D&C that day, which was last week. I was really hopeful about this one, as it seeme different from the others, so I am finding it really hard to deal with. I know I'm lucky to have my DD, but it is still hard.

I'm moving on to IVF with PGD. I'm going to do one cycle with my local RE. He is expensive, and he is going to do a high-stim cycle, which Check would disagree with. But m/c are just such a waste of time. You have to wait that whole time that you are pregnant, and then 2 more cycles after that if you have a D&C. I'm sure Check could get me pregnant with a natural IVF, but I don't see why I wouldn't miscarry, as I now believe most of my eggs are bad. So what I want to do is see if I can get lots of eggs and test them before implanting them. May not get lots of eggs because of the high FSH, but I want to try.

THINGS OF NOTE: I met with the PGD specialist yesterday, and found that I had not had karyotype testing for translocation abnormalities. In PGD, they test for 1) aneuploidy (extra or missing chromosomes, leading to Down's, Trisomy 13, etc.) and 2) translocations (some chromosome matter is in the wrong place in the parent). My RE thinks my high FSH means I have bad/old eggs, leading to aneuploidy. You only test the embryos for translocations if one of the parents has a translocation. The parent can have a balanced translocation, but it can easily get passed to the child as an unbalanced translocation, leading to m/c. I can't believe this wasn't tested before, as part of the recurrent m/c work-up. But it wasn't. I'm still waiting for my results.

Also, the PGD specialist believes there is no correlation between high FSH and m/c. And given there seem to be so few of us, maybe he's right. Maybe we just have high FSH, and really bad luck. He said there was some huge study going on right now looking at that, and we may have an answer in 6 mos.

I am going to do LIT before I cycle again. If any of you are interested, you should consult with Dr. Check if you are reasonably close to him (I am about 3 hours away), and he may give you ideas on how to do it. I don't even really know what it is, but it has something to do with immune issues and he thinks it might help (maybe he would be more sure now that I have had another m/c even with prog. support), so why not.

sleo
sleo

March 14th, 2006, 5:15 pm #6

Nancy m/c oct 03
mmc dec 04
mmc july 05
mmc dec 05
Nancy, can you explain more about the Lovenox injections? Why did your RE decide to do that, and why does he think it's not necessary for the future. I know that some people use heparin or lovenox for immune issues, but I'm not sure when people do and when they don't.

AJ
AJ

March 14th, 2006, 7:18 pm #7

Nancy m/c oct 03
mmc dec 04
mmc july 05
mmc dec 05
I am sorry for all your losses, I am on the same boat as well.

After waiting to finish grad school, we started trying. And few months after quitting the pill, I got my first BFP. Everything was great with HB at week 8. By week 11, on my birthday I had to go to ER, for spotting and pain, and no HB, fetus was 9-10 weeks size. ObGyn said, this is just normal, it "happens", we said ok. I cried. D&C the next day. Fetal tissue tested for genetic problems, NORMAL FEMALE (of course, they may have checked my tissue too)

6 months or so later, BFP#2. By week 6, everything is good, HB is normal. Next u/s at week 7, shows fetal demise. D&C the next day. DH was out of town, I cried more, this time it is a pattern. Fetal tissue cannot be tested.

ObGyn decides to do lots of tests, genetic, clotting, immune etc. No genetic problems, but they find I have protein S deficiency (clotting easily), so I need to use lovenox injections next time I get PG. They suggest the MC#1 could be due to clotting of the little veins going into the fetus. I read and read and read.

Another 6 months later, PG#3, this time, I am all nervous that it will go bad. I start prometrium (just in case) and lovenox. First time I start giving myself daily shots. By week 6, everything loks good HB is 133, but I start spotting. A week later, the fetus is not growing, and HB is slower. But I have to continue my injections. By week 9, another D&C, but this time, it is a bit scary, since I was taking lovenox, my blood is very thin, so there is risk of bleeding out during D&C. So I get off lovenox few days before D&C, but go back to it right after D&C, for 6 more weeks! That was the worst, I had to inject myself for 6 more weeks even after the D&C, because I had a risk of clotting. It takes a long time for our blood to go back to normal after being PG. By now, I am an expert in recurrent MCs.

Then, we move to the West Coast. I find myself an expert in MCs, so I have a bit more hope. He thinks maybe I have luethal phase deficiency (low progestrone between O and AF), so he puts me on Prog (ObGyn from PG#3 put me on prog AFTER I was pregnant, which is apperantly mostly useless, you have to start with O). Great I am PG again, but spotting starts much sooner at week 5. My prog is very low, I start PIO. Then comes the one-sided pain.. ECTOPIC! Again, two years after my first pregnancy, I am dealing with an ectopic on my birthday! Meth. injections resolves the pregnancy (on left tube), tube is saved.

But at that point, both me and DH has enough. And ectopic scared the heck out of us (my heartbeat was over 120 many times during ectopic, has some internal bleeding etc.). So we said let's do IVF with PGD, maybe my eggs are not that good. then I get the news about my FSH! Can it get any worse!? My RE actually called me to tell me. It was the first time, I thought that I may never have my genetic child. It was for real. My last resort is a loss cause, but we try.

First IVF produces 3 fertilized eggs, all genetically abnormal. DH has the super sperm.
Second IVF produces 4 fertilized eggs, ONE is normal :) but BFN
Third IVF (had to fly to NYC for this) was another bust, with few eggs, so I did not do ER.

After all this, a year has passed since the ectopic and 1.5 years passed since the last MC, I feel like MC is not so bad afterall (after all those IVF injections, stress of looking at those follicles etc.). So we start trying the natural way. next month, I get BFP, but it is chemical.

A month after the chemical, now I am about to ovulate in a few days, we'll try couple of more times, and then move to our last IVF, or directly to DE.

I am sorry this has been so long. I need a hug after writing all this! I know we all need big hugs. This is really hard. My RE says that high FSH could be due to egg quality for me. I feel so bad for those on the regular board who wait so long to get PG, and then end up losing it. They try so hard, like I did, to find an answer why. And in most cases, it is those genetic problems. Bad luck.

I turned 37 recently, it has been 3.5 years since my first PG (at age 33). So much has hapenned since then. I am sure I have changed.

Good luck to all!
AJ

sleo
sleo

March 14th, 2006, 8:20 pm #8

AJ, you're right. It's heartbreaking to read our stories. Even though I know the outcome, as I read them, I keep thinking, well, this time it has to work out, who could have another m/c, and then the next line delivers the bad news.

I remember reading your story about your last IVF as it was happening, but could you remind me what happened. Did you have less than 3 eggs with that last IVF, or did you just decide that you needed more to bother with PGD. Was cancelling your choice or the doctor's. Do you mind me asking your antral follicle counts and fsh? I've been worried that I won't get many eggs if I do IVF, but was reading some post from someone who started out with 6 antrals and got 16 eggs. Now, do I think that is going to happen to me? No. And even if it did, I probably would suffer what LisaA did, if you followed her story -- only one or no good embryos out of all that. But I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect.

Also, did you learn anything over your three IVF's about how you think a cycle should work, or mistakes to avoid? Sorry for all the questions. I know I am grasping at straws, but it's all that keeps me going right now.

I wish the best for you these next few months of trying!

sleo

AnnT.
AnnT.

March 14th, 2006, 9:13 pm #9

Nancy m/c oct 03
mmc dec 04
mmc july 05
mmc dec 05
I do have a DD conceived naturally on month 3 of trying. After her that's when the nightmare started. Got preg when she was 6M old lost baby at 15wks d/t trisomy 18(edwards syndrome). Also accidentally found out at that time I had tested positive for strep B and never treated. Had D&E never had some much heart pain. I did not have any symptoms of a problem, went in for routine check and there was no HB how devastating, same day had D&E. To make matters worse DH family was not really support and his brother thought it was okay to tell me 3wks after my D&E that they are expecting. Emotional/physical was I ready to hear that, NO!!!!. When we got the okay to try again I got preg 4months after trying only to lose it again at 5 1/2wks (m/c naturally never had testing done). Then to our surprise got preg the next month only to m/c again at 6wks, looking back pissed OB did not put me on P4. Found out later my P4 was low that preg and I may have only needed P4 support(again m/c naturally never had chromosome testing done). Finally decided to see RE, DH and I got worked up DH sperm was excellent ,all his bld work was normal no translocation. My bld work showed homo MTHFR started on baby aspirin and folgard. Homocysteine level was borderline high which no one seemed to address. Highest FSH was 10 failed CCT FSH went up to 12.8. Presently FSH has been no higher then 6 w/ antral count above 16 each cycle. Anyway my first RE did 4 IUI responded very well to stims but all BFN, I felt like my body was getting worse. I just didn't feel right. But I'm not a expert in this field so I listened to what the drs said(what a joke I'm realizing now). After the failed IUI I moved to IVF because I thought that was the right thing to do (that's what the REs said). Did 3 IVF w/ PGD again response to stims was great they retrieved 1st 14 follies/2nd 16 follies/3rd 20follies. But after PGD went down to one or two embies so of course I was told your eggs are old. Did you ever think you may be giving me too much meds and your frying my old eggs. Maybe if they would have done a low stim protocol and only got 4 follies they would have been better quality but not a lot of REs think that way. So all IVF gave me BFP only to m/c all of them. Do you think they would do more immune testing on me? Of course not I was told it probably was chromosomal, well stats show that would be impossible(since all REs love to throw out all the BS stats I threw it back at them of course they didn't have a answer). So then I took matters into my own hands. I went to see a new RE who of course threw out the same stat as last REs also wanted me to do IVF w/ PGD. I got more blood work through them and they tested my DH again. Well once again I had abnormal labs and wasn't told about them. What is wrong w/ these REs??? My antiphosphatidylserine was high and no one addressed it. Okay you have a woman who has had at this time 6 m/c and no one is looking into why. This is the frustrating part. Went to see nutritionist who put me on several vits to strength my immune system, she said my organs were fatigued. Started acup once a wk. Went to see hematologist who said she would definitely put me on heparin during preg and to up my folgard to twice a day. Never did IVF w/ 2nd RE, in my heart something was telling me not to do it. So I took 6m off requested by nutritionist to get my body back to normal. When I got the okay to try again, well of course we got preg again after 3months of trying only to lose it again at 5wks, I was taking the heparin too. What is wrong w/ me, I was going crazy (literally). I was besides myself that was number 7. But I just got the strength to try again. So I went to see Dr David in NY who checked my Cx which were neg. Also checked my NK cells which were fine. He checked my DH sperm for diff infection(these are test the RE don't do). Well guess what he found my DH to have asymptomatic prostatitis,he put us both on antibiotics for 2wks, rechecked DH sperm tested perfect this time. Next went to see DR Check 3rd RE. Who told me to stop doing IVF, he said I don't need it. I have no problem getting preg. My problem is staying preg. So I did LIT in Jan 06. So now we are trying again all natural w/ P4 support after I 'O'. I 'm being monitored at Cooper for my natural cycles. This is our 2nd month w/ Cooper and I'm in the 2ww. So I keep my chin up and keep thinking positive that this is going to happen. This whole IF has made me a stronger woman I refuse to let this get me down. I want another child and I'm going to have one.

Sorry so long but that's my story.

AnnT.

Karlas
Karlas

March 14th, 2006, 9:25 pm #10

Hello,

I am 40 and 10 months old and ttc since 9/2004. My DH and I have been married for 11 years and together for 14. We got pg right away (first try)and were very surprised and scared of course. All the u/s looked good and my doc talked me into the NT blood work and u/s at 13 weeks (Down Syndrome screening). During the u/s they saw severe malformations of the heart, digestive tract, umbilical artery, brain and hands/feet. It was a literal nightmare that I was not expecting at all. At that time I was so stupid that I didn't even have my DH with me (can't believe that now!) and I was all alons as they were telling me to schedule a D&C. We were devastated and I was especially upset because we are not people who would consider aborting a baby. They suggested an amnio to see what the exact problem was so we did that and the results came back Trisomy 13. After researching we realized that choosing a D&C versus waiting until it died in the womb or minutes to days after birth was really no difference in the final outcome so we opted for the D&C. That was Dec 6 2004.

In February we got pg again (1st time trying) and everything looked great. At 9 weeks I started to spot and during the entire 9th week I went to the doc for u/s and the baby looked fine. I M/Ced naturally and the doc was able to get tissue samples and the results came back with Turner's syndrome, which he thought was fine because I guess 1/2 the m/c are caused bythis problem so it is very common. He said it was the luck of the draw and to try again.

In late May we got pg again (1st try) and before I could get to the doc at 7 weeks I m/c again. No tissue test for this one so we don't know what
happened.

In early Aug we got pg again (1st try again) and my doc's wife was having her babies and he was not available until I wan near 8 weeks. Two days before I went in for the first checkup I started spotting and the baby was gone by the time I got to the office. No tissue sample for that one either.

Now after going to the RE I had all the testing done and they found homo MTHFR and I am on BA and Folic acid (5mg per day). I got pg in Jan of this year (1st time trying) and went to the RE every week. I started spotting at week 6.5 and testing showed low P4 and E2, so I got PIO shots and E2 patches. We saw the HB at 7.5 weeks, and when we went in for the 8.5 week u/s there was no HB and the baby appreared to have died right after the u/s at 7.5 weeks. I had my D&C on Mar 7th and am looking forward to AF so we can try again. We are wiating chromosome tests and expect the baby to have had some sort of chromosome problem.

My DH was never tested for sperm DNA fragmentation, my RE is so sure it is my bag eggs because of my age. I researched it and put him on vit E and C and selenium because that is the treatment for this problem. He provides 1/2 the DNA so we figured that we would cover that aspect even though we don't know why we have this problem. He has been taking the vitamins since 1/15 this year and we should have the benefits of the vitamins for the next pg.

I tried 2 cycles of stims to get more eggs per cycle when I first went to the RE. The first time I got three follies, but no pg. The second time only 1 follie and no BFP again. I was so distraught that we all of a sudden were not getting pg I stopped the stims and that is when we got pg that last time. So, it seems that the fertility drugs either do something to my eggs or my CM so we can't get pg. We did not try IUI and maybe that would be an option for us if we still have m/c for 6, 7 and 8 times.

I think there are still good eggs too. We are just going to keep trying until it seems rediculous (and I don't know when that will be either).

Nancy: please get your husband to take the vit C and E (1 mg each) and the selenium, and a good multivitamin. It can't hurt and he does provide 1/2 the DNA. I get them ready for my DH every morning when I get mine and he just eats them. There is significant studies that show marked improvement on sperm quality with these vitamins. Or, get him tested so you know.

Karlas: congratulations on your DS, I am so happy to hear it is possible that we have hope of a child too.

I think we should all keep this board busier too; I feel quite alone and am happy for the other high FSHers who get pg and have no problems, but why can't we have that too? My SIL got pg at 45 and had *no* problems and had a helathy baby girl born 11/2005. And she used my advice on how to know her cycle... It's very frustrating. Let's keep in touch. I will frequent this board more...

I am in LA too, in case anyone is interested. Thanks for reading if you go through it all.
I just cannot imagine going through all of that. The first two m/c just seemed unreal to me but the d&c really got to me. I don't think I could handle many of them. For some reason that just seems more real. With ds I had panic attacks everytime I had to go to the OB. I just knew that the other shoe would fall any minute and that that dream would be over too. You obviously are a very strong person. I will cross everything and say some prayers that your dream comes true soon.