7.12 - You Must Remember This

When we last saw House, he was in a clinch with Cuddy. Where will this lead?
Bea
Fellow
Bea
Fellow

February 20th, 2011, 9:54 am #51

Gatuna wrote:Which has been not the first crude sex joke he's made about her, if you don't believe me just watch the CIA episode in s4, to give you only one example of this. So yes, that's how I see it.
But that's exactly what I said, that House constantly makes sex jokes and inappropriate comments. My point was that it was a joke, not to be taken at face value, and that House likes to use them to simply annoy people.
Another thing is that in some cases those jokes are a deflection on House's part to disguise and hide how he really feels and thinks about something. At least that's one facet I've always enjoyed about his character. If I was taking his jokes literally, House wouldn't be nearly as complex and intriguing a character to me.
Gatuna wrote:Giving a fake apology is not a high effort in my book...
I didn't say it's a high effort, I said I feel that it goes against House's nature, at least judging by what we've been shown so far.
If fake apologies come easy to House, why did he let things get so far with Tritter back then instead of giving Tritter an effortless insincere apology?
Why did he appear so conflicted after his fake apology to Cuddy and why did he wait so long to make that apology, if it's insincere anyway and therefore meaningless to him?
House has always been shown to be extremely stubborn and proud, always wants to convince the other party of his opinions and beliefs to have the last word. So imo giving in and apologising, fake or not, is a pretty big sacrifice for someone like House, and I doubt that just sex is a big enough motivation.
Gatuna wrote:Um, no. What you did is take what I said about season one House, with which obviously you disagreed with, and said that what I said was like saying that House does not care about his patients, without saying why.

If everything I said here:
I also agree with everyone who feels that House seems more like his season one self. (...) The way he pushed Cuddy to confront her mother, instead of comforting her and telling her that it's not her fault, this bluntness and relentlessness, even towards his girlfriend, reminded me of episodes like 'Babies & Bathwater' and 'Control' (...) and last episode he was worried that she would hold him responsible for the death of her mother should he not succeed in saving her.
...wasn't elaborate and explanatory enough for your taste, than I don't know what is.
I also find it curious how you're harping on about how I supposedly assumed that you think House doesn't care about his patients (even though I've repeatedly explained how my words were actually meant to come across) instead of for a change elaborating on your views regarding S1 House vs. S7 House, how you think my examples above fit or don't fit into this or provide examples of your own.

Gatuna
Resident
Gatuna
Resident

February 20th, 2011, 1:44 pm #52

Bea wrote:
If everything I said here:
I also agree with everyone who feels that House seems more like his season one self. (...) The way he pushed Cuddy to confront her mother, instead of comforting her and telling her that it's not her fault, this bluntness and relentlessness, even towards his girlfriend, reminded me of episodes like 'Babies & Bathwater' and 'Control' (...) and last episode he was worried that she would hold him responsible for the death of her mother should he not succeed in saving her.
...wasn't elaborate and explanatory enough for your taste, than I don't know what is.
I also find it curious how you're harping on about how I supposedly assumed that you think House doesn't care about his patients (even though I've repeatedly explained how my words were actually meant to come across) instead of for a change elaborating on your views regarding S1 House vs. S7 House, how you think my examples above fit or don't fit into this or provide examples of your own.
Yes, you exposed your view on what you think about House, but that doesn't explain the analogy you did with my opinion (all that paragraph you're quoting right here is yours, not mine). We're going in circles here. If you don't agree that's up to you, just don't suggest that you know what I missed or understand and, if you make analogies with stuff that hasn't been even mentioned (like House "not caring" about his patients, do it with your own opinion not with mine, unless you are going to draw parallels with what I said exactly (i.e. quote the parts of my post which suggest I'm implying that House doesn't care). This is the last I will say concerning this matter, or we'll never end this discussion.
As for me not explaining how your examples don't fit anywhere, that's because I'm not trying to fit your opinion to mine and, more importantly, I'm not about justifying my view to you. I gave my opinion, and as you see a you're not the only one that doesn't agree with me (in fact, the majority here seem to agree with you). That still doesn't change my opinion. Does that mean that I cannot expose my own opinion even though it s not the most popular here? No it doesn't, but I'm not going to keep dragging a discussion that I know will not go anywhere. unless -I repeat- my posts are the ones being refuted directly.

blacktop
Fellow

February 21st, 2011, 11:03 am #53

Bea wrote:
From what I have seen this season, he was afraid that he'll inevitably hurt Cuddy and ruin the relationship anyway, he was anxious that they don't share the same pastimes (and once again, that this will lead to their relationship failing), he worried that Cuddy doesn't trust him/their relationship enough to truly make him a part of her life (i.e. introduce him to Rachel and have him come over to her place) and to let it evolve beyond dates and carefree sex and last episode he was worried that she would hold him responsible for the death of her mother should he not succeed in saving her.
I think this is a robust and astute description of what we have been presented so far this season. House's concerns are real, they are specific, and they go to the heart of what he hopes for his future with Cuddy. I would add that I agree with those who see this season's House as a fitting elaboration of the character unveiled in previous years.
I do find however one significant change: previously only the audience was privy to House's inner turmoil as we watched him grapple with his sense of worthlessness, his addiction, his desire for love, his depression. Ocassionally, a transient patient would be let in on this aspect of House's character as well. But for the most part House maintained a fortress-like defense against being known by his colleagues and friends. He used sarcasm, bitter jokes, and harsh personal attacks to deflect attention from his own issues. He worked hard to be inscrutable to those who cared most about him.
Now we are rewarded with a kind of intimacy we have not seen before. House now can break down those high walls with someone he cares deeply about, someone who is not merely passing through his life, but who he hopes will be a permanent fixture in it. House is willing to let down his guard with Cuddy, as he did in "Family Practice" when he yelled that he was afraid that she would hate him if her mother died. He lowered his defensive barriers again in "You Must Remember This" when he let her see how conflicted he felt about experiencing happiness while his best friend was mourning a broken love affair. I think that the intimacy and warmth of that bedroom scene did not derive from Cuddy's lack of clothing, it came from House lowering his shields to expose his unadorned self without fear, retreat, or deflection.

Intern
Intern

February 21st, 2011, 12:36 pm #54

blacktop wrote:
I do find however one significant change: previously only the audience was privy to House's inner turmoil as we watched him grapple with his sense of worthlessness, his addiction, his desire for love, his depression. Ocassionally, a transient patient would be let in on this aspect of House's character as well. But for the most part House maintained a fortress-like defense against being known by his colleagues and friends. He used sarcasm, bitter jokes, and harsh personal attacks to deflect attention from his own issues. He worked hard to be inscrutable to those who cared most about him.
Now we are rewarded with a kind of intimacy we have not seen before. House now can break down those high walls with someone he cares deeply about, someone who is not merely passing through his life, but who he hopes will be a permanent fixture in it. House is willing to let down his guard with Cuddy, as he did in "Family Practice" when he yelled that he was afraid that she would hate him if her mother died. He lowered his defensive barriers again in "You Must Remember This" when he let her see how conflicted he felt about experiencing happiness while his best friend was mourning a broken love affair. I think that the intimacy and warmth of that bedroom scene did not derive from Cuddy's lack of clothing, it came from House lowering his shields to expose his unadorned self without fear, retreat, or deflection.
Let's not forget about Wilson. He may have made some missteps with House in the past, but like Holmes's Watson he was intimately aware of House's feelings and in earlier seasons interpreted House's behavior for the team. Much of their communication may have been nonverbal, but it came across loud and clear.
In season five, it was Wilson House turned to when he had hallucinations about Amber. He confided his fears that his Vicodin use could be causing it, and that it could lead to losing his license.
Even this season, House first goes to Wilson to share his concerns about not having anything in common with Cuddy, and whether he should lie to her not. As far as point blank honesty, he told Wilson, "If you die, I'll be alone."

blacktop
Fellow

February 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm #55

Even this season, House first goes to Wilson to share his concerns about not having anything in common with Cuddy, and whether he should lie to her not. As far as point blank honesty, he told Wilson, "If you die, I'll be alone."
I definitely agree with this, Srsly_No. House after Mayfield was undergoing a crucial transition and the moment you quote from "Wilson" was an important turning point in House's development. Much as I hated many aspects of season six, I know that the House we see now would not have been possible without it.

Gatuna
Resident
Gatuna
Resident

February 21st, 2011, 9:33 pm #56

Srsly_No wrote:
Let's not forget about Wilson. He may have made some missteps with House in the past, but like Holmes's Watson he was intimately aware of House's feelings and in earlier seasons interpreted House's behavior for the team. Much of their communication may have been nonverbal, but it came across loud and clear.
In season five, it was Wilson House turned to when he had hallucinations about Amber. He confided his fears that his Vicodin use could be causing it, and that it could lead to losing his license.
Totally agree with ALL of this. Very nice of you to list the number of reasons why Wilson is so important. You see, my main problem with this episode was the shallowness with which House voiced his concern (note that I say 'voiced' because I read something else of his concern in House's attitude). But the problem with leaving House's concerns to his actions more than to what he says, is that attitude an actions are pretty much subjective -and subjected- to each viewer's interpretation.
This is what I meant by saying that I think House is dialed-down this season. I refuse to accept House's concern for Wilson being officially limited to something as stupid as Wilson becoming a spinster because he's got a cat now or, something equally stupid to me, because House thinks it's not fair that he is in a relationship while Wilson isn't or -worse- that he doesn't deserve to be happy with Cuddy. Those are things that the House I know would not lose sleep about because the House I know would not believe them. Season One/Two House ended his second shot at a relationship he could have had with Stacy, not because he didn't believe that he deserved to be happy but because there was a third person involved and he cared about what the long-term consequences of Stacy leaving her husband for him would be for Stacy and, therefore, for himself. Had it not been for Stacy being married, I think House would have happily dived into that relationship.
Again, I do believe that House's concern about Wilson goes beyond Wilson becoming a 'spinster' and all that, because there's never been anything to suggest that Wilson is bound to be a spinster and House, who knows him better than anyone else in this show, must know that. The problem is in what the writer of this episode had House say are his worries, because what the characters say is what is official. Same for what Wilson says, in this case acknowledging House's voiced concern for Wilson's spinsterdom by verbally agreeing with House's 10-day challenge. I want to hear Wilson's feelings about himself and about House on screen.
I'm all on-board with the much-promised reversal of roles of House and Wilson this season, as long as they do it right. We knew how it was for House in previous seasons because there was much more shown on screen of House's position in that. But how are we going to have a nice role reversal if we're not seeing much of Wilson's point of view, with so few scenes dedicated to him?

Vicodin
Resident
Vicodin
Resident

August 28th, 2012, 4:01 pm #57

The woman in this video reminds me of the POTW in this episode The Woman Who Could Not Forget