removal of mesh and plug and recovery/ Dr. Goodyear

removal of mesh and plug and recovery/ Dr. Goodyear

Paulieg66
Paulieg66

July 2nd, 2009, 8:48 pm #1

Dear Dr. Goodyear, What is the recovery like for a plug and mesh removal of an inguinal hernia and repair? After a consultation and review of operative records, how soon is a surgery usually scheduled?

Dr. Goodyear
Dr. Goodyear

July 3rd, 2009, 1:57 am #2

For those patients who are acceptable candidates for repeat surgery for Post-Herniorrhaohy Pain Syndrome here at NPHI (which may or may not include partial or total mesh{plug} removal), surgery can generally be arranged within about 2-3 weeks.

GDSM
GDSM

July 4th, 2009, 6:54 am #3

Dear Dr. Goodyear, What is the recovery like for a plug and mesh removal of an inguinal hernia and repair? After a consultation and review of operative records, how soon is a surgery usually scheduled?
Paulie

My recovery was 8 to 12 weeks for the removal of the plug and patch (Perfix plug, Davol Bard). It was done by Dr. Meyers in Philadelphia. It was an open procedure that was laporascopically assited to ensure all of the mesh was removed and so he could see behind the plug. The pain was a 14 on a 10 scale and the bruising was horrendous. The bruising stretched from my testicle and inner thigh all the way up to my upper abdomen and to the kidney level of my lower back. It was a very intricate surgery. I am not a big man and at the time of the surgery I was down to 138lbs, I was 168lbs before the plug and patch were put in. I am 5'8" tall and used to be a very active individual. My life has been seriously altered because of all of this. I have had 2 corrective surgeries, the second was the removal. I have had 60 or more trigger point injections in the groin with no help. I have had the nuerectomies, that helped some but to this day suffer in pain. I have just recently had the sympathetic nerve blocks at the spinal level of which for a few days did help, but the pain came back to baseline.
I need to state that the plug and patch was inside of me for 2 years, the damage was very extensive to the nerves (Ilioinguinal, IlioHypogastric and genital femoral), the plug balled up and encapsulated them within itself, it also hardened and was acting like a saw inside of me cutting a three inch gash in my pelvic floor along with hudreds of smaller rips and tears.
I don't care what any of these doctors have to say about these products, they are dangerous to be implanted in the human body even in the most skilled hands of a surgeon. They may not go bad as fast as what mine did, but eventually they will go bad over in time. I knew immediatly after the surgery that something was wrong. I had a hernia at a younger age and the pain was not as bad as this. It took 2 years to find a surgeon that knew what was wrong. All of the other surgeons did not want to touch me in fear of litigation or were not skilled in removals. Dr. Meyers knew what was happening and told me that he has been removing these things for many years. He was able to do a modified shouldice without mesh and for that I am greatful. I have now been diagnosed as having RSD/CRPS and have been seeing a pain doctor and Neurologist for this condition. I am in the process of trying to put this condition into remission, but it is a fight, my insurance company is fighting with me over what procedures I can have and not have.
GDSM

Another Jeff
Another Jeff

July 6th, 2009, 3:40 am #4

Paul:

I recommend that you read all of my posts over the last few weeks about plug removal surgery. I also recommend you read at Dr. Goodyear's website about the statistics of success with this surgery. 60% achieve pretty much pain free recovery, another 20% have a reduction in pain, etc. I had this surgery done by Dr. Goodyear 8 months ago and am in much worse pain now than before. I'm apparently one of a very few... I would investigate numerous surgeons, and I would ask them all about their rates of success, their approaches, etc.

Good luck and all best,

March 4th, 2015, 2:55 pm #5

Aloha Paul,
It is a long shot but wondered if you are still out there, and wondering if you found relief yet? I have: Atrium Medical's Pro Loop Hernia Mesh and Plug in me, for a Right Inguinal Hernia and I have been in ever increasing pain for going on 6 yrs. in June! Just seeing if you ever got relief???
Thanks,
Sue