Information: This board is currently read-only.

The making of Cracked Earth Desert Bases

Anything about painting, modelling, and beyond.

The making of Cracked Earth Desert Bases

Garganthor
Doombull

Aug 5 2012, 11:17 PM #1

So, my beloved South Lands Cannibal, Pygmy and Ape themed VC army has been on a hold for a while, as vacation, the new baby, nice weather and just now a whole lot of work has taken it's time. However, that is not the full reason, as I also have been collecting and just started painting some Chaos Dwarfs. Not done much yet though, but when I really get started, I'll be putting up a plog for you guys.

Anyways, all this is good and well, but what I wanted to show you was my bases I'll use for the evil dwarfs. I guess some beastmen general out there might find it useful, so I put together a small tutorial.

So,here goes ( copy/pasted from CDO):
----------------------------------------------------
People have been asking me about my bases: where did I get them? Well, actually, it's ordinary plain GW-bases. But with something called Distress Crackle Paint added.

http://rangerink.com/?product=tim-holtz ... ckle-paint

I found it after I had been trying out a crackle medium, that didn't work as I wanted. I stumbled upon this thing, and won't turn back.

It's a great thing, this is. Easy and cheap and with great results. Just paint a surface and it will begin to crack. Great for doing a dead desert theme, or maybe, with a bit of experimenting, a kind of lava base...

Anyways, here's how it works:

Take a base (I only have two smaller ones at the moment, so it will have to do)

Cover it in PVA glue. This is important as the paint otherwise will just come off on the lightest touch. Don't really know why, but I learnt that the hard way. I'm sure there are other things you could use, but this is what I use and it works wonders. The paint bonds nicely, and is close to impossible to remove accidentally. 

Wait for the glue to dry. Don't think it needs to be completely dry though, just hard enough not to move around when adding the Crackle Paint. Anyway, use the built-in brush for the paint. 
I have done two bases: one with a thick layer, and the other one a bit thinner. 

Then, well, it's basically watching paint dry...

One hour:

After waiting six hours I had to go, so the result shown below is actually after about 16 Hours, but I'm sure around 8 would have been enough for the thicker one:

As you can see, the one with the thicker layer got fewer, but bigger overall cracks. The thinner layer one got one big crack and a lot of smaller ones. So you can somewhat control that much at least. Also, I'm sure the amount of the PVA glue - as well as how long you waited before adding the Crackle Paint - might affect the end result. So, could be something worth experiment.

Add whatever you want, and paint it after heart's content. I went for a Plain of Bones theme, so my bases looks like this:

I'm guessing that if you'd want to, you can make quite cool effects on miniatures also. Like painted armour all old and messed up, or cracked leather, dried mud on cloths, etc... in those cases I recommend using another brush than the built in one, as you'd need quite a thin layer.

Hope you like it as much as I, and feel free to let me know if you tried it out. 
Garganthors Beasts vs. Sherlockos Beasts - 12-8

Firestorm Daemons of Tzeentch (sold) Best Painted -10
Warriors and Beasts galore Best Painted Army at III V-11, RTKM-09, Battle Royal-09, Slättaslaget -10, 2nd Best at Swedish Championship -10, BSB Best Painted Model at Hammered 2010, 2nd Best Painted Tag Team-11
The Legend of the Cannibals VC? Empire? Yet another Beast army? Can't decide, and don't want to...
Dwarfs of Khazad Grimaz Best Painted Army Fantasy Bash-09

Jake's a spook! Troll, demon, a ghoul!
Strange, weird - but so cool!

The Charioteer
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 12:30 AM #2

That looks impressive. Thank you for sharing.
You are guilty! The punishment is death for all who live.
a-hahahahahahaha. Here is a fact, my left nipple was once burned off and regrew. So I have Wolverine's regen powers,.. but only proven effective so far on my left nipple.
6+ Regen is better than no Regen, pop
Popisdead and Rothgar on having Regen

Billy Ocean
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 12:54 AM #3

Wow, what a great product, thanks for that.
"Chance favors only the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
"There's a whole forum of people who love little plastic goat-monsters as much as you?" - the wife
Best new member 2012 - thanks guys!

The Immigrant Herd: Army Lists, Army Diary

Chaos, MD
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 01:06 AM #4

Nice, may have to add that to my basing arsenal, thanks.
:coffee:
FW Daemon Prince of Khorne WIP*FINISHED*
Various Projects & The Herd of Khraal-Anok the Crowned-One Working towards the P3 Masters Paint Comp(Success!!!) Updated 10/21/14
Beast Army Commission for Spikes

My army thread: It's Chaos! and Part II

And remember, when in doubt paint it RED

My CMoN. I need some votes!

decker_cky
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 04:43 AM #5

Very cool! Looks great.

Decker's Beast Blog - Last updated September 2/2011 - Banelords Beastlord and Harpies
Decker's Eclectic Painting and Modeling Diary - Last updated August 29/11 - Bretonnian Knight + Lord
Tallarn 47th Light Infantry Army Diary - Last updated March 29/09 - Leman Russ Eradicator

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 09:03 AM #6

That's looking nice!
If you want more bones for the bases you can get the Wargames Factory skeletons, they come naked and in small pieces, i e loose torsos and such so it should be very easy to make "skeleton scatter".
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Myrdin
Doombull
Myrdin
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 09:07 AM #7

wouu !

Its normal paint, not the Citadel one for minis yes ?. What actually makes the paint crack like that ? I thought it might becouse the PVE is still in liquid form under it, but then you wrote it should be dry, or "almost" dry, soo now i am at loss :o
Myrdins Beastmen, Nippon Empire and Tau - diary with a mash up projects for all 3 of my armies.

Chronicles of the Beast - Made up lore and stories for my Natural Beastmen

Stampede
Foe Render
Stampede
Foe Render

Aug 6 2012, 09:18 AM #8

Very cool! Might give that a shot for my next army actually. Hoping to see these cannibals in action at QFA this fall.
Gore, crush, stomp, KILL!

grix
Minotaur
grix
Minotaur

Aug 6 2012, 10:19 AM #9

Yeah, I really like this a lot. I will probably experiment with this as maybe a glacier type base. Well see how it goes.

The Charioteer
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 11:27 AM #10

Myrdin @ Aug 6 2012, 09:07 AM wrote: wouu !

Its normal paint, not the Citadel one for minis yes ?. What actually makes the paint crack like that ? I thought it might becouse the PVE is still in liquid form under it, but then you wrote it should be dry, or "almost" dry, soo now i am at loss :o
Its super awesome magic paint, not citadel. The link explains all.
You are guilty! The punishment is death for all who live.
a-hahahahahahaha. Here is a fact, my left nipple was once burned off and regrew. So I have Wolverine's regen powers,.. but only proven effective so far on my left nipple.
6+ Regen is better than no Regen, pop
Popisdead and Rothgar on having Regen

BeastieBoy
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 11:36 AM #11

Very nice, this should gut put up under the tutorials sticky.

tikimonkey
Bestigor

Aug 6 2012, 02:29 PM #12

Very cool technique. Gotta make a note on this one. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my army diary here:
http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/in ... opic=21175

Aug 6 2012, 03:01 PM #13

Very impressive and affordable!
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   -- Romans 12:17-18 
Karankawa's Painting Diary
Karankawa's Battle Reports
Karankawa's Daemon Painting Diary
Karankawa's Empire Painting Diary
Karankawa's Local Store Painting Diary
Direwolf FAQ

Garganthor
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 04:23 PM #14

Glad you all seem to like it. It's super easy and gets by far the best result of the different things I tried. And it's cheap. I have made some 60 20x20 bases, 16 40x40, as well as a lot of wasted ones before I came up with the PVA glue base to make it hold. And I still have about a 5th left in the first bottle. So yeah, pretty affordable.

Myrdin: I think that not letting the glue underneath dry completely helps making the cracks a bit bigger, but it would still work even if dry.

mrtn: thanks for the advice - I guess I indeed will need more skeleton parts.
Garganthors Beasts vs. Sherlockos Beasts - 12-8

Firestorm Daemons of Tzeentch (sold) Best Painted -10
Warriors and Beasts galore Best Painted Army at III V-11, RTKM-09, Battle Royal-09, Slättaslaget -10, 2nd Best at Swedish Championship -10, BSB Best Painted Model at Hammered 2010, 2nd Best Painted Tag Team-11
The Legend of the Cannibals VC? Empire? Yet another Beast army? Can't decide, and don't want to...
Dwarfs of Khazad Grimaz Best Painted Army Fantasy Bash-09

Jake's a spook! Troll, demon, a ghoul!
Strange, weird - but so cool!

popisdead
Doombull

Aug 6 2012, 06:57 PM #15

This is a fantastic and great tutorial!

Thanks for your time and effort.