Information: This board is currently read-only.

The Bray Herd of Yarash Goreblade

Show the progression of your hobby skills with your own personal diary.

The Bray Herd of Yarash Goreblade

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 05:43 PM #1

This is going to be a "retro-diary" of my nearly completed Beastman Army. Basically, I'll stick in a lot of pictures and you can all criticise / comment if you wish.

Why Beastmen?

I have three other armies on the go. Lizardmen (largely 5th ed models), Empire (largely 6th ed models) and Vampire Counts (a god awful mishmash of stuff old and new!). I decided to "park" these and start a new army for 2010s gaming, and I wanted to go evil because two of my fellow gamers run Dwarves a lot, and they kept creaming my Undead!

Originally, I was going to do a Tzeentch army under the old Hordes of Chaos army list, with the bulk of the grunts being Beasts of Chaos. I'd been collecting minis for this for a while, but when the new Chaos army lists came out the plan changed.

As a result, I decided to go for plain vanilla Beastmen, but to reference the Tzeentch connection in the colours and models with the aim of doing Daemonic and Warrior allies in the future.

Enough talk, on to some miniatures...

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 05:59 PM #2

I started off with some Ungor raiders, I knew I would want these in my army at any size and they fit well with the idea of a small scouting force. Also, I wanted to try out the colour scheme on somethig less important first!

You'll notice these are NOT the current Ungor raider models, these are the old spear armed ones from the mixed Gor / Ungor days. Those with bows were converted at tedious length from night goblin parts from my bits box. That's why they are all left handed! I also used a lot of Gor weapon arms, which are a little too bulky but you probably didn't notice until I told you...

I left some of the Ungors with spears because
a - I ran out of bows!
b - I pictured these units as huntsmen, and spears are good for hunting.

I can also envision the Ungor Raiders being involved in capturing Chaos Hounds and Tuskgors, for which spears would be useful.

Colour wise, these are vomit brown brushed liberally over vermin brown. I'd say dry brushed, but I am an impatient man! I should warn real artists amongst you that my painting is limited to dry brushing and a bit of washing, I rarely aspire to proper highlighting etc. And this is actually my best painted army to date!

The Tzeentch theme is picked up in the bluey-purple cloth which appears throughout the army - this is Hormogaunt Purple over lovely Necron Abyss. This makes my Beastmen rather uniform, but there will be a fluffy explanation for that later...

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 06:02 PM #3

I added to the Ungors to make a 750 point army using the old "Border Patrol" rules from the GW website. The army expanded to 20 Raiders, one Bray Shaman, four minotaurs and 1 chariot:

The thinking was that eventually I might like to make an "all chariot" force or a "mostly minotaur" force, so these are testing grounds for those.

These are the old metal minotaurs. The one on the far end is converted to carry a pole-arm type weapon, this was originally going to be a GW wielder but he ended up being shielded! He now fits okay in either unit type.

The minotaur flesh is Bronzed Flesh over Dark Flesh, and provides a bit of variety from the Ungor brown. The shields are Greenstuff over penny washers, with old hoplite shields used as the bosses, not that you can see that in this picture! The banner is paper with a hand painted skull design on both sides - very basic but my free hand painting is not good!

Actually, I need to take more pictures of a lot of things - I have no close ups of the chariots either, which is a shame as I enjoyed painting those.

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 07:44 PM #5

And the standard bearer. The colouful icon of Tzeentch is a late addition, I'm still not 100% sure I like it but it's part of the concept...!

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 08:06 PM #6

I think the army above was ready around mid March 2010, we played a few small games but I needed to produce a "proper" 2000 point army.

The quickest way to do this seemed to be to add more minotaurs! at 60 odd points a time you don't need many to make an army.

Oh, of course this was still under the 7th Edition rules, so I only needed 3 core units with no minimum points value. I don't think an all minotaur army is viable under 8th edition?

Here are the additional minotaurs then:

These are all with GW of course, and they are damned terrifying when you get them Frenzied up! I quite often field this second standard bearer as a BSB to get that automatic Frenzy from turn one :)

With added hand weapons. These are some of the 1989 Minotaur Lords - I had a bigger collection but these are the two models I really liked. Older readers will notice I have drastically reposed these: the original pose is with the arms widespread, impossible to base in a unit! I don't like to mess about with classic miniatures, but this was a necessary evil to get them in my force! Besides, they are not that rare and you can still pick them up on ebay fairly easily...

The champion of the unit is nicknamed "Daemonclaw", and I sometimes use him as a Gorebull. The blue claw is of course meant to be another Tzeentch reference.

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 08:32 PM #7

And finally for my Minotaur Army, my Doombull Yarash Goreblade:

The shield is an old hexagonal flying base with some blades added - they may be from skaven? The runesword is a really nice part which I think is from an old metal daemon prince. Unfortunately between the two he overhangs his 40mm base and is a pain to squeeze into a unit - one day I'll go back and rebase him on a big rock to lift him above his cohorts.

The head trophies on the shield are from armies played by my friends (skaven and orc) and me (the Middenheimer). I need to steal some Dark Elf heads, as I fight those a lot (see later).

The big back banner adds to the size of the model, and also gives me the option of fielding him as a BSB Gorebull should I wish. I don't know what model that piece came from, I picked it out of a pile of bits I got from ebay (spot the other theme in my army!). I added the crossbar, skull and the big bronze chaos icon.

At this point (I think this was April 2010) Yarash was an obvious "bolt magnet", so his equipment was as follows:

Ramshorn Helm
Gnarled Hide
Eye of Night
Sword of Striking
Hvy Armour & Shield

The combination of 1+ armour save and MR2 (back when MR worked differently), along with his high Toughness and a bodyguard of 5 minos, meant that he often strode uninjured through the game. It helps that all those Dwarf bolt thrower crews were too scared to shoot straight! Maybe I'll cover some of his battles and back story next?

Saintspirit
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 08:38 PM #8

The chaos cirkle bnner are from the old chaos warrior kit. Ugly guys, looke mostly like orcs in chaos armour.

I like yer ungors, but I think the fur is a bit plain. Try to shade it or highlight it. I'm not quite fond of the old minos, but thats personal taste.
The mino's red banner is very nice.
Silver wrote:I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
Saintspirit's Shadow Hunter Painting Blog
(\ _ /)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") to help him gain world domination

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 5 2010, 08:47 PM #9

Thanks Saint! The ungor fur is shaded with a dark wash but it doesn't show too well here - I tend to use too little colour contrast on my minis which doesn't photograph well.

I liked the red banner better too, but I'm too lazy to go back and repaint the brown one ;)

Dec 6 2010, 02:35 AM #10

Great diary thus far! Really like your selection and painting at this point, but maybe a few more highlights will help the models "pop" a bit more?
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   -- Romans 12:17-18 
Karankawa's Painting Diary
Karankawa's Battle Reports
Karankawa's Daemon Painting Diary
Karankawa's Empire Painting Diary
Karankawa's Local Store Painting Diary
Direwolf FAQ

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 6 2010, 10:37 AM #11

It's quite strange writing this as "history", I expect I'm making it sound more thought out than it really was!

Thanks for the comments about highlights, as I said to Saint, it's a thing I'm aware of. This is the first time I've really looked at my minis as photos, and they do seem a bit dull compared to other armies on this site - I've just been looking at BeastMum's bright orange clad herd, wow - but because I use dry brush highlighting I find a big colour contrast looks very messy. And it takes me way too long to paint to this basic but effective standard for me to get into "proper" highlights!

Maybe that just means I shouldn't try and paint 8000 point armies in a year? :unsure:

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 6 2010, 10:54 AM #12

Okay, a quick bit about Yarash Goreblade and his exploits...

So, Yarash was part of a minotaur herd who one day came into battle with a Tzeentch Chaos Warband. They were finally victorious with Yarash finishing off the mighty Chaos Champion who had just bested the Doombull. In mockery / mimicry of the fallen foe, and stirred by some strange Chaos instinct, Yarash took up the icon of Tzeentch from the Warband's battle standard and wrenched it into a shield like shape, and then snatched up the Champion's Runic Greatsword to use as his own. Yarash became the leader of the small remnant of his herd and set about collecting himself some reinforcements.

Yarash had always been perhaps a little smarter than his brethren, but now he started to have strange moods and urges. In between the usual bloodgreed inspired rampages, he led his throng on strange journeys, often far from their home territory. Sometimes these led to new recruits, like the Great Bray Shaman Tokhar Darkwood; sometimes defeated new enemies, like the Chaos Undivided Warband from which Yarash took his great brass standard, or stranger things still. One such side trek lead the minotaurs into Empire territory to raid a supply caravan, which turned out to be mainly laden with fine purple dyed cloth, which Yarash's Ungors have fashioned into crude uniforms for the herd!

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 6 2010, 11:19 AM #13

Our games in the middle of this year represented one of Yarash Goreblade's stranger exploits. Led by his wierd urges, the Warherd travelled many many miles to the Dwarf Brewery Hold of Karak Beer.

For some unrevealed reason, this journey was shadowed by the High Sorceress Chlamydia and her Dark Elf legions. Because of this, Yarash was forced to fight her near the ruins of the Temple of Khorma (a Khornate shrine) in a bloody battle which failed to break the Dark Elf army.

Another battle was fought in Jalfrazi Valley, this was Beastmen versus Dwarves on the road through the valley, which was then overtaken by a larger clash between Dark Elves and Orcs who had already chosen the valley as their battlefield! This was utter chaos... but Yarash won through.

The mighty Doombull then led his followers through the treacherous Balti Bogs, battling through the swamps, the swamp beasts, and an army of Dwarves defending the margins of their territory and all the while fending off Chlamydia's pursuers. With the aid of the Vampire Oskal the Lost and his Lost legion of Swamp Zombies, Yarash strode through the fusilade of spells, bullets and bolts to emerge unscathed, despite losing a great deal of his followers.

(If I remember rightly, the Dark Elves fielded a total of 60 repeating crossbows in this game, and the Dwarves had 2 bolt throwers, an organ gun and plenty of thunderers! Brutal!!! Also, we learned that 3 way games are fun but slow, and really screw with the magic system.)

Finally, the armies clashed outside the gates of Karak Beer itself. Many Dwarves died before the Beastmen gained access to the gates, with the Dark Elves still in hot pursuit!

In the final confrontation, Yarash Goreblade was joined by new allies - a babbling bunch of Pink Horrors sent by his patron Tzeentch! And so, it was revealed that the Chaos Gods had an interest in the outcome of the battle... Unfortunately for both the Doomlord and the High Sorceress, neither evil army could breach the final defences of the Dwarf Hold, and the fabled Dwarf Beer Generator remained unviolated. The defeated Yarash again escaped unharmed, stumbling into a side passageway of the Dwarf Holds to make his escape, presumably still guided by the strange urges in his head...

Next Up - More pics of miniatures used in these battles...

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 6 2010, 08:30 PM #14

I pushed the army up to 3000 points, and then a bit more, for these games. Again, when painting against the clock I chose things that were either high in points or quick to paint!

Ghorros Warhoof, and his sons. The very definition of expensive! 150 points is a heck of a lot for a 2 wound character, particularly one who attracts the attention of enemy war machines. Still, they were the perfect choice for a campaign involving Dwarven Beer!

I went with Dark Flesh for the horse parts, it's a really nice colour for horses. They don't look so pink in natural light!

Some chaos hounds. I'd been getting by using the Dire Wolves from my VC army, but it seemed like time to change that. These were knocked up in an hour the night before a battle!

Classic metal hounds, I like these, but only 2 poses is a bit dull.

The new plastic hounds. One of the few things I've bought new for this army! I went for bright colours on the mutant parts as a break from all the brown - by this point I was starting to go off brown...!

Finally, some home brewed puppies from my bits box. A couple of these I like, a couple suck. I'll let you decide which! I'm stuck with them for now.

I didn't want to, but I finally had to add some Gors to the army. I hate painting big units of infantry! This block of 20 was like pulling teeth, but the final result looks nice on the battlefield. You can also see one of my Bray Shaman here, along with my Slugtongue model, I'll put some more character pictures up later.

Saintspirit
Doombull

Dec 6 2010, 08:35 PM #15

That looks like a nice sluggie. I look forward for more pics of him.

And he rules.
Silver wrote:I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
Saintspirit's Shadow Hunter Painting Blog
(\ _ /)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") to help him gain world domination