Information: This board is currently read-only.

The Bray Herd of Yarash Goreblade

Show the progression of your hobby skills with your own personal diary.
Shadespyre
Doombull

Apr 29 2011, 12:52 PM #136

So, finally, here we have my no-longer secret project:

Chaos Centaurs (Centigors) with Great Weapons

I'm pleased with how these came out, I just hope they perform on the battlefield!

The standards are much better now, they could still use some more blue paint to even out the backgrounds but they look nicer in real life to be honest. I like the Celtic feel to the Tzeentch design, I may well use this on any Chaos Marauder units I do to tie them all together.

You could consider these the first units of my Warriors of Tzeentch army I suppose! They are probably the last units for my Beastmen - after this it's a couple of bits and bobs - maybe some custom characters, maybe a couple of rnf here and there, but that's basically it.

I'll try and get some photos of the whole army, and also a "definitive" 10,000 point army list to go with them!

Kawazu
Doombull
Kawazu
Doombull

Apr 29 2011, 03:44 PM #137

Sweet units! I like the retro-painting :)
Only criticism I have is about the skull on the standard, it might use some was to deepen the shades maybe.

Shadespyre
Doombull

Apr 29 2011, 10:44 PM #138

Yes, it probably needs a mud wash followed by a white highlight...

Retro-painting? I'm retro-everything.... ;)

T.M.M
Ungor
T.M.M
Ungor

Apr 30 2011, 07:13 AM #139

I love the old harpies are there some old grenadier models or just old citadel?
Not in the Mood?
Mood is a thing for cattle and women young pup, Mood is not for fighting.

-Gurney Halleck
-Dune Remake

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 1 2011, 12:33 PM #140

The harpies are a mixture - the ones with clubs are from Alternative Armies, the ones without are the old Citadel ones. I mixed the wings between the two for variety. Both models were sculpted by Bob Olley, which is why they fit well together.

I'm a big fan of old Citadel miniatures and I'm always keen to get a few into my army.

I played a game with the Centaurs yesterday, I'll stick up a battle report soon.

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 7 2011, 06:10 PM #141

Tidying up a few loose ends of the army at the moment, I thought I'd better have some "loose" Razorgors, so here are three...

Like the Razorgor Chariots, these are more prehistoric mammals from the same range - two "young elasmotheriums" and one "woolly rhino charging".

I've got a few more things on the go, tomorrow I will paint my unit filler competition entry (!) and I'm doing some modelling on my Transformation of Kadon classic / budget models, including the WORST miniature I have EVER tried to make something of...!

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 10 2011, 11:03 PM #142

Okay, as mentioned I've been putting together some monster models for those rare "Transformation of Kadon" moments. And also because I have lots and lots of classic models in my collection and it is time I enjoyed painting a few of them.

So here we have:
Manticore

This is the Marauder manticore I think, it definitely has that "personality" to it. Hard to see in this picture but the face is very similar to the old metal Doombull miniature (as seen 3 times in my army!)

Dragon

This is Bob Naismith's Great Fire Dragon, a real classic even if it's not that "great" in terms of size these days. I've opened up the wingspan to give it some extra presence, and dignified it with a 75mm deep base. This is one of maybe FIFTY dragons I have stashed away, so I'm looking forward to painting it.

Chimera

This is the Alternate Armies Chimera. I picked it up for a couple of pounds a while back, and it is (was) a HORRIBLE piece of work!!! I should have taken some WIP pictures. To get this far I have...
cut off the cast base
cut away wedges of metal from between the legs
remodelled the claws with green stuff
changed the position of the heads to get an even slightly logical look!
piled on masses of green stuff mane, and new ears.

I'm still not sure it will make much of a model, but I couldn't resist the challenge! The original sculpt is poor enough that my very basic GS mane matches pretty well, ouch...

I'm also messing around with a change to one of my doombull's poses, so I can get all 3 in the front rank of a minobus. I want to use magnets but the metal arm is rather heavy, so we'll see how that goes.

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 13 2011, 08:10 PM #143

Finished my poseable minotaur character....

Original style raised axe pose:

Now I can swap from that to the new low axe pose:

How does it work? With some magnets, a pin and a choice of two pin holes:

The three amigos, ranked up and ready to lead a minobus:

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 16 2011, 07:57 PM #144

Transformation update - minimal painting but I did some research...

Firstly the Manticore belongs to the classic Dieter Helsnicht (necromancer) character, not the Marauder range (though now I want a Marauder one too...).

Secondly, the god awful Chimera is still available for sale for a whopping £18 from Alternative Armies! Please don't buy one, but now I have a "target" to make mine look better than!

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 26 2011, 08:58 PM #145

Still not a great model, but at least as good as the one on their website I think!

Still shiny with wet paint!!!

The tawny lion colour actually looks better in the photograph than in real life, it's a little too yellow despite 4 coats of gryphonne sepia.

The fire dragon has progressed as far as a mechrite red base coat, I've not done much painting, mainly concentrating on custom cutting foam so I can move the whole army around, and also paint stripping a lot of wood elves (stockpiling projects while I can afford them!) And decorating - once that is done I shall get in the loft and dig out another army (Empire?) to work on for a bit...

Shadespyre
Doombull

Jun 3 2011, 08:48 PM #146

No painting to report, but I've rounded up some spare parts from ebay and I'm putting together some more Ungor raiders, taking me to about 32 of them. 4 units of 8 or 6 units of 5 or whatever...

I've also realised I need some more chariot crew options, so I can field "normal" Razorgor chariots for example, and so I can field ALL my chariots WITHOUT characters in fact. So I'll knock up a few plastic Bestigors that I can hold in place with some extra magnets, rather than try to replicate all those pinned bases.

So the Beasts are not quite finished! But I have decided my next projects:

Daemons of Chaos! I have about 1000 points of Tzeentch Daemons painted, so I want to round that out to 2000-2500 points. Time for some lavender and magenta paint! Hopefully this will include a Burning Chariot and a few other conversion pieces.

And along with that:

Empire! I have a 5000-6000 point Middenheim army in my loft, I fear to look at it because the painting will be awful! It's time to get it out a unit at a time and see what needs doing paint-wise. Hopefully a few washes and some detailing will be sufficient to bring them up to the level of my Beastmen (no laughing please!)

Should I post my other armies in this diary? Or start a new one?? Or would you rather I not sully the Herdstone with other armies???

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Jun 3 2011, 09:17 PM #147

Shadespyre @ Jun 3 2011, 10:48 PM wrote: Should I post my other armies in this diary? Or start a new one?? Or would you rather I not sully the Herdstone with other armies???
As you should have seen from me and other members it's perfectly fine to post non-beastmen on the Herdstone. :) Whether you want to post them in this thread or create a new one is up to you, both options have pros and cons.
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Shadespyre
Doombull

Jul 3 2011, 02:25 PM #148

So, I have decided to start a separate thread for my Daemons of Tzeentch army, which will help keep things orderly. This Diary isn't finished (I have 20 beastmen on the painting table and no doubt there will always be more!) but there will be less frequent updates.

Shadespyre
Doombull

Jul 21 2011, 08:53 PM #149

Here's pretty much the last of the Beasts for now...

These guys are converted plastigors, these are the substitute Bestigors who can ride my chariots in place of their usual shaman / wargor / beastlord occupants...

These are some other converted plastigors, this time joining my rank and file Gors...

And finally, coming full circle, some more Ungor raiders. Like the very first member of my Beastman army, these are converted from a mixture of different edition Ungors and various Gor and Goblin parts too.

Shadespyre
Doombull

Oct 1 2011, 08:43 AM #150

I've taken a short break from my Daemons army to finish off this fellow, who never got further than a coat of Mechrite Red back in May...

I'm thinking about some extra basing work - perhaps a part melted shield in a scorched patch of grass?