Information: This board is currently read-only.

Popisdead's Colony of Beastmen

Show the progression of your hobby skills with your own personal diary.

Popisdead's Colony of Beastmen

popisdead
Doombull

Aug 14 2011, 01:26 AM #1

Hello folks,

In hopes of improving my street-cred I have (with gentle coercion) created a paint log.

In true form I have a model that is not yet complete (until I can force some kid to do my green stuff sculpting in exchange for some Slurpee's or Skittles).

This is my metal Malagor. The weight of the model with wings was an easy push towards getting the Finecast model and rip the wings off this guy.

I had a plan to put a blue fleur de lis on the flag but I didn't want a colour that distracted from the middle,... I may still,..

There is a layer of Testor's Dullcoate on the model until I get the back sculpted in. At which point I will use some thinned gloss varnish then matt again. I find metal models with the those two coats are both not-shiny as well as well protected.

Thanks!

Aug 14 2011, 03:31 AM #2

Welcome to the land of Army Diaries - outstanding first post (highlighting and colors really do look great).
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   -- Romans 12:17-18 
Karankawa's Painting Diary
Karankawa's Battle Reports
Karankawa's Daemon Painting Diary
Karankawa's Empire Painting Diary
Karankawa's Local Store Painting Diary
Direwolf FAQ

Kawazu
Doombull
Kawazu
Doombull

Aug 14 2011, 07:57 AM #3

Split your lungs with blood and thunder
when you see Popisdead's log!

:D

As far as it concerns me, your street-cred was already high. However, great to have your diary here! As BK said, outstanding work so far. I never liked Malagor, but after watching yours I'm seriously considering getting one. Great contrasts, excellent blending and choice of colours.
And by the way, you entered the realm of Awesome just with the plog title!

The Charioteer
Doombull

Aug 14 2011, 08:37 AM #4

This beast-log, is growing faster than i can tell
popisdeads army, is growing huge at a massive swell
and his painting, is more awesome than the sheep's head curse

Hunt for! Ogres and dwarfs! Popisdead!

Paint (paint) with (with) Deaeaath
PAINT (paint) Wiiiiiiith (with) DEAEAAAATH! :run:
You are guilty! The punishment is death for all who live.
a-hahahahahahaha. Here is a fact, my left nipple was once burned off and regrew. So I have Wolverine's regen powers,.. but only proven effective so far on my left nipple.
6+ Regen is better than no Regen, pop
Popisdead and Rothgar on having Regen

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Aug 14 2011, 09:39 AM #5

Street-cred improved. Now feed us more.

:)
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

popisdead
Doombull

Aug 17 2011, 01:21 AM #6

In keeping with this being a current painting 'log' I am putting up another post.

A GW staffer gave me this model as he doesn't have his Beastmen any longer. I am in the process of re-painting it. So far I have redone the skin and magenta robes. The metal will be just dirty but I did say I would keep the blade bone still.

Cheers

popisdead
Doombull

Aug 21 2011, 10:11 PM #7

Hi folks,

Working on my Ghorgon so here is a base coat, then first steps of shading.

Cheers

Lordy
Doombull
Lordy
Doombull

Aug 22 2011, 12:52 AM #8

LOL lovely pixeled out section there :D

Really nice paint job though.
8th Beast Record
Won 20
Drawn 0
Lost 11

7th Beast Record
Won 14
Drawn 1
Lost 5

A self confessed Gojiragor fanboy

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Aug 22 2011, 05:38 AM #9

Nice start on the skin, looking forward to seeing the rest finished.
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

The Charioteer
Doombull

Aug 22 2011, 06:21 AM #10

LOL you should have made the meat and veg bigger, its good for realism and makes it hilarious. :lol:
You are guilty! The punishment is death for all who live.
a-hahahahahahaha. Here is a fact, my left nipple was once burned off and regrew. So I have Wolverine's regen powers,.. but only proven effective so far on my left nipple.
6+ Regen is better than no Regen, pop
Popisdead and Rothgar on having Regen

Kawazu
Doombull
Kawazu
Doombull

Aug 22 2011, 08:14 AM #11

Great start on the gorghon! :thumbsup:

The other guy looks a bit awkward, especially that big double-bladed weapon...

popisdead
Doombull

Aug 22 2011, 08:39 PM #12

Kawazu @ Aug 22 2011, 01:14 AM wrote: The other guy looks a bit awkward, especially that big double-bladed weapon...
Thanks guys! I just assembled my Cygor (again Banebeasts) and since I'm using him in Storm of Magic games (turns out,.. he's really handy there) I will likely get derailed by him though I'll add him to the ol' plog.

That double bladed Gor was given to me and I am painting him up for fun. He stands a good 1/3rd over the rest so I thought it would make for a good unit filler to break up the unit.

popisdead
Doombull

Aug 27 2011, 01:59 AM #13

Hello again folks,

Well,.. no progress on anything previously posted but new things,.. so I figured I would post a couple recently finished models that were on my shelf as well as some models I started up more.

A birthday present (this was in the blister which is now my favourite bookmark) from my best friend. A Zoat that even though it's the 40k version he's going in my Wood Elves for Storm of Magic. So this is the start:

Now a Lammasu that I've started with some Transparent Basing which I'm happy enough with:

Here is a Grey Knight Apothecary I painted for the store. I screwed up the armour but I am happy with the sword, white and vials (note: the sword is about 80 layers of paint):

A Great Taurus I'm using for my Beastmen in Storm of Magic. I think this guy has b-dass rules in the game and with the Lammasu on Fire magic he's really useful:

Start of one of the new resin Treekin. I convinced a kid to buy 6 of my old ones half price so I could buy the new ones (gettin' old, can't carry heavy loads):

And lastly Khazrak of whom I thank GeOrc for the skin recipe:

Happy painting =)

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Aug 27 2011, 06:40 AM #14

Nice work! A point of criticism, I think that the teeth of the taurus could look better with a beige base rather than grey.
The zoat looks crazy, couldn't you use him for 40k as well? Chaos lord on bike or something?
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

popisdead
Doombull

Aug 29 2011, 07:35 PM #15

I didn't want a brown/beige colour for the teeth. I wanted it to be a bit more magical other-worldly. This creature to me would likely have teeth that withstand a hotter temperature.

I would imagine I could use the Zoat in Tyranids in some way to match the old fluff. I don't play 40k much and really just Orks and Death Guard. I have a 40mm square base I'm going to put the Zoat on to make him less tippy. I'll have to figure out how to paint him so he's not sci-fi regarding the tubes and power fist too :S

I want to use this guy here as a Fire Mage in my WoC army so I fiddled around with my first Object Source Lighting attempt. I went to far on the leg area but again,.. first attempt.

I plan to do the flames green (hence the yellow/green hue)