Old-hammer?

For all your general Beastmen and Beast focused Legion of Chaos needs in Warhammer 8th edition or older 'Oldhammer' editions.

Old-hammer?

Nhadred
Beastlord

21 Jun 2017, 14:36 #1

My biggest enjoyment of WHFB was attending the many GT's that sprang up around the world, GW or Indy. I met tons of great gamers at these events, guys I still talk to nowadays. I think my favorite edition of Warhammer was 6th for tournament play, it definitely was a thinking game for me.

When I retired a few months ago and moved out of state, I was aghast at all the boxes and tubs of gaming figures, books, paints, scenery, and everything else that the hobby got me to buy and store. Stuff I FORGOT that I had! I supported Games Workshop through thick and thin, up until 8th edition. Not wanting to go back to "chess and checkers" discussions, or even go forwards to "round/square" bases, but I started to pare down my buying addiction.

I finally kicked the addiction of buying new rules and figures with the advent of Age of Sigmar.

I gave up on GW.

I will not go back and talk about the things that "I swear too much" me off about them in the past. Or the things they continue to do.

But after cleaning up the garage last weekend, going through boxes, I started remembering all the fun tourneys we used to go to. So, I'm thinking of inviting some of my old gaming buddies down for a weekend of Old-hammer fun sometime. And the response has been enthusiastic.

So, right now I'm checking out my re-discovered tournament rules packs, the old scenarios, the old rules, the old army books.

It is like a new game, all over again. If I won the Powerball, I'd buy the old editions off of GW. And put them right back out again. Untouched.

For old armies, I did save the lists on a Yahoo forum if anyone wants to check them out.
[url=https://groups.yahoo...ningHordes/info]https://groups.yahoo...ningHordes/info[/url]

Hello and back to lurking!
Khorne, it's a blessing, and a curse!

BIGGER 'ERDS!!!

Keep it Simple, Stupid!

gjnoronh
Doombull

21 Jun 2017, 20:09 #2

link didn't seem to work for me.

For 8th ed opponent finding check this forum outhttp://eefl.freeforums.net/

For that matter if you are in the midwest/East coast US please join us at Da Boyz GT which is the only tournament I am aware of hosting 8th edition events.

www.daboyzgt.com
November 17-19th.

Gary
Are we in a golden Age of Fantasy? Check this out
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... n-age.html

Bovigor
Gor

27 Sep 2017, 20:47 #3

My fav edition was 6th due the sheer volume of material produced, the art was amazing and background and atmosphere of Warhammer World were at their best.
It's a shame it's harder and harder to keep Warhammer alive while its sequel keeps stealing ideas from it.
:run:

gjnoronh
Doombull

30 Sep 2017, 10:41 #4

It's just alive in a different way. Like the Troll in Grom's belly.

Bovigor
Gor

03 Oct 2017, 13:38 #5

gjnoronh @ Sep 30 2017, 10:41 AM wrote: It's just alive in a different way. Like the Troll in Grom's belly.
What do you mean? :huh:

gjnoronh
Doombull

13 Oct 2017, 18:29 #6

It was intended as a bit tongue in cheek but also semi seriously.
Grom the Paunch's surly disposition, vast size, and resilience came in the fluff from the Troll meat he once ate that continues to regenerate in his stomach after all these years.

I started playing in 3rd edition 8th's armies and rules and play style actually were almost nothing like 3rd ed. I liked much of 8th but I missed much about previous editions (particularly the more light hearted tone of the fluff/books in say 5th ed)

About 1/4-1/3rd of the NE US gaming scene rage quit when 8th edition replaced 7th edition. A couple of rules mechanics (random charges, no more guess ranges for artillery and Big Six spells) were enough to convince people that 8th wasn't "Warhammer" (at least as they knew it.) What is real "Warhammer" isn't at all consistently agreed up throughout the time I've been playing (since 1990.)

Oldhammer (of whatever era ) lives as long as folks choose to keep playing it. AoS isn't stealing ideas - it's the successor of that world and IP. A lot of the Warhammer army feel comes over essentially the same (vampires are vampires, beastmen are beastmen) the geography and geopolitical structure is wildly different.

AoS benefits from drawing from the Warhammer editions that came before. Just like earlier warhammer editions benefited from previous but really weren't the same at all.

Older editions of Warhammer's best ideas and innovations lived on in future editions. Less good ideas (i.e. Fimir, armies of Slann, Dogs of War adding cannons to every army) faded away.

The Troll meat is there regenerating away and giving strength and life to it's successor. You may not see it on the outside but if you pay attention you can see what the current Goblin King owes to what fed from.

That being said there are pockets of Oldhammer see the EEFL link I posted earlier which seeks to help folks find Oldhammer players and bring them together.

Da Boyz which I run is committed to giving Oldhammer folks a venue to show their appreciate for previous editions while also supporting the next generation of Warhammer.

Bovigor
Gor

14 Oct 2017, 16:25 #7

gjnoronh @ Oct 13 2017, 06:29 PM wrote: [...]
AoS isn't stealing ideas - it's the successor of that world and IP. A lot of the Warhammer army feel comes over essentially the same (vampires are vampires, beastmen are beastmen) the geography and geopolitical structure is wildly different.
[...]
I knew Grom story :D
Just because AoS came after it doesn't mean it's Warhammer successor:
first of all Warhammer was cancelled so they could publish it.

Aos it's like those pharaohs who usurped the others' monuments and conquests to make them pass as their own:
Seraphon was Malekith dragon name, now lizardmen armies are named after him,
Mortal Realm was the name of Warhammer World...How many remember it?
Silver Tower the tower of van Horstmann's Cabal
To not talk about Skirmish,Path to Glory....
Even amateur projects like Warherd battletome can't help but pillage the Warhammer art.
It doesn't make much sense supporting aos, the more it spreads less chances to see the original Warhammer back and to be honest aos it's just as bad idea as new coke. :P

gjnoronh
Doombull

20 Oct 2017, 15:52 #8

Come check out the EEFL forum if you are committed to Oldhammer not quite sixth but it's a start.

I think there is room for it all out there personally. I'd pin the demise of WFB 8th on company's like Mantic and the like that stole GW's sales as much as anything.

Necromunda makes a return this year 20 years after it's release. Who knows for 8th ed WFB. Maybe that troll meat will regenerate enough to burst free from Grom's belly.