Information: This board is currently read-only.

Mithras's Goats

Show the progression of your hobby skills with your own personal diary.

Mithras's Goats

Mithras
Doombull
Mithras
Doombull

May 4 2012, 02:39 PM #1

Soooo.... I finally decided to start my very own plog to show you my efforts. I have never painted much more than a couple of Mordheim warbands and I've decided this needs to change! So hopefully this plog will keep me motivated.

First up 2 pictures of my workspace, I use a computer cabinet (is this the right word in English?) that I can close when I'm done so my wife won't be irritated with my hobby stuff :lol:

So far I have painted a small number of HW+S ungor. As you can see I have used 3 generations of ungor and done some minor kitt bashing/conversions as well. The plan is to not make my units very uniform but to create a barbarian horde by using different mini's and still make them look coherent by using a consistent paint scheme. I dipped them with Army Painter Strong Tone to somewhat to speed up my painting (I'm very slow). Credit for the snow on the bases goes to Chaos, MD, I used his tutorial (http://z8.invisionfree.com/herdstone/in ... opic=24179).

Group shot (focus on first rank):

Group shot (focus on second rank):

Da leader:

Musician:

Infantry base:

My favourite of the lot, he looks so aggressive:

Guy with pitch fork:

And the other dudes:

Wow those close ups really show a lot of painting errors! I'm not a good painter, so comments and critiques are more than welcome. Who knows I can improve my painting as I go along.

So what do you think?

Billy Ocean
Doombull

May 4 2012, 03:14 PM #2

I think fantastic! I would be very pleased with those guys. The war paint looks bad-ass and the way you have mixed old and new ungors creates some really nice variation.
"Chance favors only the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
"There's a whole forum of people who love little plastic goat-monsters as much as you?" - the wife
Best new member 2012 - thanks guys!

The Immigrant Herd: Army Lists, Army Diary

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 4 2012, 04:07 PM #3

Very nice stuff! Love the bright blue, love the mix of models and weapons, love the snow. Great photography too. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the close ups, you need to be a proper pro painter for anything to look good on photos of bigger than life size... but in this case I can't see much wrong anyway.

Nice workstation ( cabinet is the right word btw ). I also use a door to hide all my mess, but mine has a whole room behind it!! :P

Billy Ocean
Doombull

May 4 2012, 04:55 PM #4

Shadespyre @ May 4 2012, 04:07 PM wrote: I also use a door to hide all my mess, but mine has a whole room behind it!! :P
Nice idea - my wife would be very happy if she could hide all my "nerding" (her words) behind a closed door - maybe when we move into a bigger place.

And shadespyre is right, when not looking SO close-up you would see no mistakes on those models at all - just really nicely painted beastmen. You did a great job!
"Chance favors only the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
"There's a whole forum of people who love little plastic goat-monsters as much as you?" - the wife
Best new member 2012 - thanks guys!

The Immigrant Herd: Army Lists, Army Diary

Mithras
Doombull
Mithras
Doombull

May 4 2012, 07:17 PM #5

Thanks for your kind comments guys! Very encouraging! I guess you are right that blowing up the pictures so big shows all kind of imperfections that you normally don't see.

@Shadespyre: I would love to have a whole room available for all my nerding!

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

May 6 2012, 07:28 AM #6

Great start to your army Mithras, looking forward for more! :thumbsup:
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 6 2012, 08:35 AM #7

Mithras @ May 4 2012, 07:17 PM wrote: @Shadespyre: I would love to have a whole room available for all my nerding!
Actually, I'd quite like to have a wife....

As it's only a small "nerding room", I would guess you are better off as you are ;)

Kawazu
Doombull
Kawazu
Doombull

May 6 2012, 03:16 PM #8

Great ungors!!! Love the warpaint, so striking! :thumbsup:

Mithras
Doombull
Mithras
Doombull

May 6 2012, 05:31 PM #9

mrtn @ May 6 2012, 09:28 AM wrote:Great start to your army Mithras, looking forward for more! :thumbsup:
Thanks Mrtn, actually the idea to mix different types of beastmen comes from your Southland Beastmen.
Shadespyre wrote:Actually, I'd quite like to have a wife....
Haha, sometimes I think I would be better of without one :P (just kidding of course, I :wub: her (and no, I didn't just say that because she might read this. :D )).
Kawazu wrote:Great ungors!!! Love the warpaint, so striking!

Solegga
Minotaur
Solegga
Minotaur

May 6 2012, 05:38 PM #10

Really nice war-paint colors! Looking forward to more of these!

PS. Thanks for sharing, I think I'll keep this idea :)

GorNZ
Minotaur
GorNZ
Minotaur

May 10 2012, 06:55 AM #11

Great idea with the computer cabinet! My work is constantly spread out on the dining room table...

Your painting skills look pretty damn good to me, the skin and fur is all nicely shaded and highlighted.
Makes me want to add s0me warpaint!

Slowly We Rusty
Bestigor

May 10 2012, 05:20 PM #12

These are awesome! Very inspiring, and thanks for sharing!

I tried some white warpaint on some fairly vanilla ungor I did up . . . A couple look relatively sinister/fearsome, but the rest look suspiciously like juggalos.

May 10 2012, 06:29 PM #13

Great color choice, painting, and basing! When is the updated unit picture due for display?
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   -- Romans 12:17-18 
Karankawa's Painting Diary
Karankawa's Battle Reports
Karankawa's Daemon Painting Diary
Karankawa's Empire Painting Diary
Karankawa's Local Store Painting Diary
Direwolf FAQ

May 10 2012, 09:18 PM #14

Great Photo's they look really clear.

Excellent work on the basing, they look fantastic, and absolutely beat my efforts on snow to slush, will attempt to learn from the tutorial as well.

Absolutely loving the war paint, the colour and differnet variations make them look really eye catching.

Chilly.

Mithras
Doombull
Mithras
Doombull

May 11 2012, 04:16 PM #15

Thanks, all your nice comments make me want to pick up my brush right now! :)
Solegga @ May 6 2012, 07:38 PM wrote:Really nice war-paint colors! Looking forward to more of these!

PS. Thanks for sharing, I think I'll keep this idea :)
Be sure to post some piccies when/if you get around to using it.
GorNZ wrote:Great idea with the computer cabinet! My work is constantly spread out on the dining room table...
Haha yeah, I was in the same situation, was really frustrating to have to set up everything everytime you want to paint. And then have to remove it once it's dinner time. :gripe: This works quite well.
GorNZ wrote:Your painting skills look pretty damn good to me, the skin and fur is all nicely shaded and highlighted.
To be honest, the shading is just the Army Painter dip. And only the warpaint, metals and fur are highlighted. I did however cheat a little on the skin: I used white primer and painted the skin with quite diluted graveyard earth, so that the white undercoat shows through a bit on the ridges and edges.
Slowly We Rusty wrote:I tried some white warpaint on some fairly vanilla ungor I did up . . . A couple look relatively sinister/fearsome, but the rest look suspiciously like juggalos.
The fearsome ones I would like to see, you have piccces?
Beastlord Karankawa wrote:When is the updated unit picture due for display?
Your not putting me under pressure, are you? :P I'm working on banner bearer, a little unit filler and another guy at the moment. But like I said, I'm quite slow (+ I have little time) so it will probably couple of weeks before they are finished.
Chillwinston wrote:...and absolutely beat my efforts on snow to slush, will attempt to learn from the tutorial as well
I can really recommend that tutorial, makes it real easy and looks good too.