Information: This board is currently read-only.

Empire - A Return to Middenheim

Show the progression of your hobby skills with your own personal diary.

Empire - A Return to Middenheim

Shadespyre
Doombull

Nov 29 2011, 08:36 PM #1

Hello everyone! No Daemon or Beast activity to report lately, but as promised I have started renovating my Empire army. This was my first Warhammer army, and started off as a 2000 point force I bought second hand, already painted. At that point it had some of the Storm of Chaos Teutogen guard in it, so I added some Wolfkin and Hunting hounds to it. Then when 7th Ed came out I sold off those units to convert the army to a "proper" standard Empire army. It's been parked for about 4 years, since when I have completed my 12k Beasts army and rather improved my painting skills!

After some inspections I decided that bringing 300+ Empire soldiers to the same standard as my Beasts was way too hard, so my new aim is to homogenise the look across the whole army. So far I've got 40 swordsmen and 30 greatsword that I am happy with, and I've just repainted the hands and faces of about 70 artillery crew, crossbowmen and archers as my next batch.

Here's an idea of the task at hand:

and that doesn't include all the characters, or any of the 50+ knights and cavalry models which are still in the loft!

The plan: most rank and file models will be getting:
standardised flesh tone
dark wash (black/devlan mud as appropriate)
dry brushed highlight (mainly on the blue cloth)
general tidy up
a few details picked out - e.g. buckles, straps - to add an illusion of proper painting ;)

It's not all old stuff, to break up the tedious task I have also started work on my Steam Tank. For the first time I can think of I actually wish this was plastic not metal! I love metal models, and when finished I will have a tank I could actually kill a man with (!), but white metal castings do not suit vehicles and I'd rather have the neat, crisp fit of a plastic kit this time. Oh, and the whole model weighs half a kilo with its base!

Still WIP, I'm just trying to get all the base colours done before a lot of washes get put on it.

Yes, I will post some "finished" units up as soon as I process enough miniatures to make room to take some pictures!

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Nov 29 2011, 11:08 PM #2

Good luck mate.
:)
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Borzoni
Minotaur
Borzoni
Minotaur

Nov 29 2011, 11:25 PM #3

Daunting to say the least! Best of luck and look forward to checking in on your progress
Borzoni's Purple Beasts

2O11 Beast record W 9 D 2 L 5

popisdead
Doombull

Dec 1 2011, 04:23 PM #4

Good luck! Hope to see some nice work here :)

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 2 2011, 12:59 AM #5

Quick status report:

Just about finished off all 20 crossbowmen. I've made myself a "tick list" so I can cross of troop types as I finish them, I hope this will be encouraging rather than off-putting!

Also on the plus side, looks like my 48 spearmen might be a fairly easy one to cross off, just a coupld of washes needed I think.

On the minus side, I've decided to bite the bullet and throw all the standard bearers into the Dettol bucket. Nothing says "bad paint job" like a bad standard! And nothing draws the eye away from average painting like a nicely painted flag!

I found my list of models, it's a bit out of date but looks like I should have the following to sort out:

30 Great swords (done except for standard)
41 Swordsmen (done except for standard)
40 Halberdiers
48 Spearmen
30 Archers (done)
10 Huntsmen
20 Crossbowmen (done)
41 Handgunners (done except for standard)
20 Flagellants
30 Free Company
7 Artillery pieces (done)
and 20 crew (18 done)
16 Knights of the White Wolf
10 Knights Panther
10 Pistolliers
5 Outriders
and around 20 character models

Plus I've got the Steam Tank and maybe a dozen other models which weren't painted first time around. I'll be using these to break up the monotony of working on the other stuff. I also want to try building my own War Altar, maybe a siege tower and last but not least I will need to come up with a Karl Franz model, preferably that I can swap between horse, griffin and dragon as the mood takes me. I think it might be time to raid the collection for a really serious dragon model for the Emperor to ride. Anyway, that's for the future...

I've ordered a new pot of Devlan Mud, the current one is already taking a pounding and I can't see it getting me all the way through this lot!

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 6 2011, 07:47 PM #6

A couple of pictures just to show that something really is getting done. And before you ask, I won't be posting any "before" pictures - you will understand why when you see the "after" pictures:

Here's a shot of the renovated archers. As you can see, I'm aiming for neat and tidy and just a little bit beyond base colours, really. These still need some dullcote to kill the shine from the washes, and some proper movement trays (these are some naff ones I made for my Ungor Raiders, and have to be replaced!)

Meanwhile, here's one I didn't paint earlier:

I picked this guy up from ebay, painted but damaged, so I've stuck him back together and repainted the damage around the joins (so, his gloves and weapon handle really). I'll be very happy if most of my character models turn out this good!

I've also updated my check list (above).

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Dec 6 2011, 09:14 PM #7

Shine from the washes? Didn't you shake them? GW's "new" washes are matter than most other paints. Assuming these are the ones you use of course.
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 9 2011, 05:10 PM #8

Some of my pots are quite old and seem to have permanently separated out. I've ordered new ones and will throw the old ones when they arrive. My Ogryn Flesh has gone cloudy too.

So far the models look okay, just a bit shiny (not as bad as dipped ones, but not nice). I dullcote all my models anyway so they'll be fine once I've sprayed them, which I'll probably leave to the spring for a dry, warmish day rather than risk ruining a whole army!

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 13 2011, 01:03 AM #9

Really not much to show you at the moment, I'm slogging through 40 handgunners and a few other projects. I hope to get the artillery all finished in the next few days, and the steam tank is ready for highlighting.

Here's a purchase I just made:

This is the Gamezone Imperial Standard Bearer. I've already got a Middenheim BSB. but I thought this guy might look good in my greatswords or swordsmen. The standard itself is really nice, but I'm a bit disappointed by the bearer himself. He looks okay here but he's actually very flat in profile (half the "thickness" of a GW plastic guy!). Plus his sword blade is way too thin to keep straight. Not sure at the moment if he's a keeper or going on ebay...

And here's an experiment:

Obviously this is WIP. What I've done is press mould some Space Wolf insignia in greenstuff, and then stick them to the old plastic flag. This is actually quite fiddly, and while it might be easier than free hand painting 4 wolf heads on each flag, I'm not sure. I'll finish this one and see how I feel.

The other thing I've done is fetch a few dragons out of the loft as prospective mounts for Karl Franz, I'm not sure I can make my favourite work as a mount as it's a little on the large side...

Anvalous
Gorebull
Anvalous
Gorebull

Dec 13 2011, 03:08 AM #10

Those press molds worked very, very well. Kudos, man. You have quite the project ahead of you, but I'm confident that you'll ace it.

Also, I sort of like the gamezone banner bearer. I've had a few of their models and appreciated their quality (the great eagles, in particular), but I haven't spent too much time with their rank and file troops. Good luck with making it into your vision!

Sherlocko
Doombull

Dec 13 2011, 04:03 AM #11

The gamezone banner bearer looks pretty nifty from the front at least. If you want to spare yourself from cursing that sword when being all done with it, I would probably just cut it off now and at least replace the blade with a plastic one. Sure, it can break afterwards but then it is really easy to attach, and it will never bend.
sturtus on my avatar wrote:Sherlocko's, cuz its one of his own models, and every time he posts, its like a great big purple shaggoth is yelling things at me.
Garganthors Ghorgon vs. Sherlockos Ghorgon - 12-20
Garganthors Destroyer vs. Sherlockos Destroyer - 43-40

MEDEVL
Gor

Dec 13 2011, 10:15 PM #12

The archers look good (I like the skirmish bases you made) and the Warrior Priest looks great. I like the look of the wolf heads but if they are too much troube free handing them isn't too bad. I did some space wolves and found that you can paint good wolf heads really easilly.
I really like that Gamezone banner bearer. The banner itself is awesome! If you decide not to keep the bearer let me know. I'd love to have him for my Pirazzo's unit. Keep the updates coming. Thanks!!

popisdead
Doombull

Dec 14 2011, 05:12 PM #13

That Gamezone std bearer is amazing.

Dec 14 2011, 06:33 PM #14

That Gamezone std bearer is amazing.
LOL at that abbreviation.

I forwarded you're blog to a friend who plays Empire. Hopefully it will inspire him to get some more paint on his models.

Keep up the great work man! :thumbsup:

Shadespyre
Doombull

Dec 14 2011, 09:55 PM #15

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone :) Still not 100% sure about the standard bearer (I certainly don't know about him carrying a STD!). However, as the whole model only cost £6 odd from Maelstrom, I'd be happy to recommend you buy it just to use the flag!

Anvolous, I've got some Gameszone Vampire Knights, fiddly to assemble but nice models, which is why I was happy to try this guy. When I finally do some Wood Elves I will try and afford their eagles.

Medevl, good spot on the match to the Lost Legion, I hadn't thought of that.

Great idea about the sword Sherlocko, I might even whip off the whole hand and replace it with something from my Empire spares. If I use him at all! Here's a side view of how skinny he is:

And here are a few pictures of finished stuff...

20 Crossbowmen:

A selection of artillery:

I've nearly got the handgunners done, and I'm going to press on with the wolf standard and steam tank. I was hoping to get a lot done with a day off on Friday but the exhaust fell off my car and that'll be taking up my time (and money :() instead.

Hey Shadowbrand, I hope your friend is reading. If so - it's really not hard to paint Empire troops to this sort of basic but effective standard. You don't even need many paints... I think I've used 10 including washes. And painted minis look so much nicer! :thumbsup: