Information: This board is currently read-only.

Decker's Beast Blog

Show the progression of your hobby skills with your own personal diary.

Decker's Beast Blog

decker_cky
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 07:36 AM #1

Been working industrially at repainting my beasts, and mrtn's been bugging me to post some kind of update. Lots of things are mostly done, but nothing's finished yet. Here's a sampling of WiP models. Any feedback would be great.

Beast herd:

Minotaurs:

Chariot Rider (on a base for photography obviously :P):

Hounds:

The chariot rider is the only thing I'd consider 'done' here. The lighting was horrid so I had to do some adjustments, which took some details from the photos, but they give a pretty good idea.

Decker's Beast Blog - Last updated September 2/2011 - Banelords Beastlord and Harpies
Decker's Eclectic Painting and Modeling Diary - Last updated August 29/11 - Bretonnian Knight + Lord
Tallarn 47th Light Infantry Army Diary - Last updated March 29/09 - Leman Russ Eradicator

Sherlocko
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 07:43 AM #2

Whoa, you have beasts? :lol: ;)

Love the skin, it looks really menacing. :) And the face paint on the minotaurs combined with the eye colour looks also really, keep them coming. :)
sturtus on my avatar wrote:Sherlocko's, cuz its one of his own models, and every time he posts, its like a great big purple shaggoth is yelling things at me.
Garganthors Ghorgon vs. Sherlockos Ghorgon - 12-20
Garganthors Destroyer vs. Sherlockos Destroyer - 43-40

ungorlucky
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 08:05 AM #3

Nice Moody and Mean

Luv em ! :)

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 08:29 AM #4

Finally!

Nice.
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Kawazu
Doombull
Kawazu
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 09:00 AM #5

Like the blue, very tzeentchy :)

daftgor
Doombull
daftgor
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 10:46 AM #6

You don't happen to like the blue man group, do you?

The colour scheme works really well; blue is a nice colour to paint.
¯\(°_o)/¯ -Braaaaains!

Exeter
Doombull
Exeter
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 01:33 PM #7

Nice work Decker! Its nice to see another mod on here actually working on models.

I think the horns on the charioteer could use a little lighter highlight on the upper tips. Aside from that, it looks good. Why did you give a minotaur a different colour loincloth than everyone else? Are you going to add tiny red lines to the yellow of the minos faces like some baboons have? Is this based on some rumour you heard and are keeping to yourself?!?! :o

Jun 8 2009, 02:11 PM #8

Ohhh...blue man group beasts!

Very nice!
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   -- Romans 12:17-18 
Karankawa's Painting Diary
Karankawa's Battle Reports
Karankawa's Daemon Painting Diary
Karankawa's Empire Painting Diary
Karankawa's Local Store Painting Diary
Direwolf FAQ

decker_cky
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 07:28 PM #9

Sherlocko @ Jun 8 2009, 12:43 AM wrote: Whoa, you have beasts? :lol: ;)

Love the skin, it looks really menacing. :) And the face paint on the minotaurs combined with the eye colour looks also really, keep them coming. :)
I know...shocking, isn't it? Would you believe these are actually the first beastman fantasy models I've posted in the entire life of the Herdstone? I actually had most of the army painted in a brownish colour scheme (with greyish-blue fur), but when I painted my bloodbowl models in this scheme, I was inspired to repaint my models. I like this much better.
ungorlucky wrote:Nice Moody and Mean

Luv em ! smile.gif
Thanks. I find the beast models more than any other range (aside from daemons) lets you really go wild with the colour scheme, and they benefit from it. Working with a whole bunch of browns is for skaven, not beasts. :P
mrtn wrote:Finally!

Nice.
Yeah....your nagging on MSN worked. :)
Kawazu wrote:Like the blue, very tzeentchy smile.gif
That's what I was going for. Somehow people don't notice them creeping through the forest in ambush (or maybe this is why I don't really ambush with them).
daftgor wrote:You don't happen to like the blue man group, do you?
I'm afraid I just blue myself.
daftgor wrote:The colour scheme works really well; blue is a nice colour to paint.
Agreed. I was even lazy and didn't really blend any of the blues (midnight->regal->enchanted).
Exeter wrote:Nice work Decker! Its nice to see another mod on here actually working on models.
Hey! BK paints lots. :P I agree that all the other mods are a bunch of bums.
Exeter wrote:I think the horns on the charioteer could use a little lighter highlight on the upper tips. Aside from that, it looks good.
Thanks, I'll do a top highlight with a little bleached bone mixed in.
Exeter wrote:Why did you give a minotaur a different colour loincloth than everyone else?
It's chainmail. This is one of the things my photoshopping killed the colour on. The side is yellow though. Both those minotaurs need their loincloths inked though.
Exeter wrote:Are you going to add tiny red lines to the yellow of the minos faces like some baboons have? Is this based on some rumour you heard and are keeping to yourself?!?! ohmy.gif
Yea...I took some inspiration from the tzeentch doombull in the beasts book, but I think that little dab of colour does a lot to make the minotaur models look better. I'll look at the red line and try it on a test model, since it sounds like it could look good.

And regarding the rumours...I might have seen a rumour of a rule come across my desk for minotaurs called "swing through trees like dirty apes." ;)
Beastlord Karankawa wrote:Ohhh...blue man group beasts!

Very nice!
Thanks. They're never-nudes too.

Decker's Beast Blog - Last updated September 2/2011 - Banelords Beastlord and Harpies
Decker's Eclectic Painting and Modeling Diary - Last updated August 29/11 - Bretonnian Knight + Lord
Tallarn 47th Light Infantry Army Diary - Last updated March 29/09 - Leman Russ Eradicator

Meals
Doombull
Meals
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 09:58 PM #10

Looking good Decker, Somewhat like how I was thinking of repainting my Beasts.

Can I suggest you put a piece of blank white paper behind the models and take some more photos :) Its a pretty simple way of getting better light.
Forum Arguments are like Nascar: Everything goes round and round in pointless circles until you get lucky and there's a fiery explosion.

decker_cky
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 10:16 PM #11

I know. Would you believe that paper is one of the things that hasn't made it to my new basement suite in the two months I've been there? I'll get some paper and take them in natural light next time (was using incandescent lamps at midnight when I took those).

TraitorKing
Doombull

Jun 8 2009, 11:02 PM #12

A thread with some pics of 'Decker's beast'?
And I thought this was a family forum!

Liking the blue, good to see some variety.

Also, I'm wasn't aware that any of the admins here collected beasts... who knew?
Blood on the Stone - New Herdstone mafia game, now running!

squalie
Doombull
squalie
Doombull

Jun 9 2009, 01:32 AM #13

I am actually thinking of repainting my whole army in a "night" theme like you've done. I really like the blue. Just need some highlights and it'll look awesome. I traded for some Herds and when they showed up they were painted in blues and greys with snow bases and it just "Blue" me away.

C'mon Decker, you're so close!!
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
Mike Tyson

decker_cky
Doombull

Jun 9 2009, 05:09 AM #14

squalie @ Jun 8 2009, 06:32 PM wrote: C'mon Decker, you're so close!!
I'm workin!

A little update today. Worked on my minos some (they're really close now), then concentrated on my first unit of hounds. I even tore apart my room to find what little paper I could. :) Here's some finished pics:

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Jun 9 2009, 09:03 AM #15

Nice doggies! I like the bases as well.
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War