Information: This board is currently read-only.
mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Mar 16 2014, 01:56 AM #76

Nice stuff. The railway man isn't Eric the Shed is it? I'm a follower of his blog. :)

Like the buses as well, I bought a couple of Days Gone trucks recently for my Danish Partisans. I guess I should weather them a bit more, they keep getting shot up being so shiny. :(

Nice trenches too, I should get some for the WW1 forces I'm working on.
Eight Chicky Bits, is that a Chicky Byte?
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters (Plague Marines)
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 24 2014, 09:42 PM #79

We've got another Big Game next weekend, this time back to the Back of Beyond and the Russian Civil War.

As usual, a Big Game means some Big Projects, and I've been building a train...

The model came from Brigade Games in the US. It is certainly ambitious, but if I've complained about poor model vehicles before then this is much, much worse! I've had a week to spend on it, I think given a month I could achieve something nice, but this will have to do!

In brief, the basic resin shapes are okay, though the casting is a bit rough and deformed in places, and the panels which make up the rolling stock are a bit warped and needed a lot of work to fit together. The cast metal wheels and axles are.... well, for road vehicles they would be fine, but for a model you would like to literally run on rails aren't up to scratch. It would have been far more sensible to offer proper bogies manufactured by a scale railway company.

Anyway, here are some pictures...

Finished Armoured Train

There were a fair few problems with the model, including fragile hand rails and ladder rungs which snapped off every time we handled the model...

So I replaced those with brass rod, a bit fiddly but pleased with the effect:

Another request was to allow the bogies to turn a little, so that the train could be placed on (or pushed along accompanied by "ChooChoo" noises!) a curved track.

So I had to cut away a lot of resin, working inside a plastic bag to keep the dust down...

then some magnets as bearings...

and now the wheels can be turned a little...

Magnetised turrets of course:

A passenger coach which needed a lot of filling and sanding...

And with some more rolling stock, the cause of a lot of swearing!

And finally a locomotive.

The loco is actually by far the best of the models despite being quite complex, but even then I had to do an hour of work on the smoke stack to get it looking good!

And to round off the job, I also did some more head swaps on mortar crews, and then assembled this strange looking Putilov Half-track:

Phew! More than enough historical modelling for a while!

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

May 24 2014, 10:28 PM #80

Nice work, pity it seems you had to do so much that should have been finished when you bought the model...
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Shadespyre
Doombull

May 31 2014, 10:08 PM #81

Today was our latest big Back of Beyond game, set on the Russian steps in 1918.

The plot: a train carrying an important White Russian general is travelling to a remote village to meet representatives of a French intervention force. Revolutionary forces must prevent the meeting.

One table was a battle between the French and White Russians and Red forces for control of the village.

The other table was the railway tracks outside the village, where White Russians and their Kuban Cossack allies fought to prevent Red-allied Don Cossacks and Turks from sabotaging the train itself.

More details here: Lost City of Carcosa - Back of Beyond

I was playing the Don Cossacks once more...

Lined up against the Kubans...

We advanced rapidly

Leading to a massive cavalry melee

One of the critical moments of this melee was when a stray shell from my field gun landed smack in the middle of the fight, taking out 4 of the Kubans and leaving my own troops miraculously unhurt! With the sudden numerical advantage I was able to wipe out one unit of the enemy and follow up into their command party, cutting down their standard bearer and capturing the Kuban general.

Complete annihilation of the enemy Cossacks was prevented by the arrival of the train... here we see my command group (left hand side) separated from the rear of the Kuban cavalry who are engaged with more of my cavalry (on the right hand side).

The Kubans were able to defeat my cavalry and then ride down my field gun crew, though there were two few to threaten even my badly trained infantry.

More train pictures...

With the arrival of the train we turned to the rule book to find out what weapons we had that would hurt it... at this point, we discovered that to fire anti-tank rounds at it our field guns needed to be much closer, and that our chances of stopping it with HE shells were very slim. If only we had checked earlier! On the left side of the table the White Russian infantry had been able to check the advance of the Turks sufficiently that we couldn't even set boobie-traps on the tracks without taking heavy fire. Some of my cossacks made an attempt to board the train by horseback, but we decided they were ill equipped to break into an armoured train and would be easily repulsed.

So the Whites on our table met their objective, though taking very heavy casualties. I had destroyed the Kuban forces and captured their chief, for the loss of a few cavalry and an armoured car (which we had captured in the previous battle and had been planning to park on the tracks to hold up the train!) so personally I was quite happy.

Most importantly, Red forces had prevailed in the village, and would be waiting to greet the VIP instead of the French! So overall, a Red victory.

Some other pics:

Dawn breaks over the village...

Whites and French forces prepare to defend the village, under the watchful eye of an SE5a (being used as an artillery spotter in this game).

Red forces on the attack

And finally... a short Russian documentary piece (with subtitles) about armoured trains...

Weapons of Victory - Armoured Trains

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Jun 1 2014, 09:23 AM #82

Good looking games. I've painted some of those French Senegalese, they're wonderful minis.
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Shadespyre
Doombull

Jul 20 2014, 02:40 PM #83

A little project of my own...

This is a Fiat CR32 fighter, the paint scheme is from the Spanish Civil War around 1937 but I've used the Italian "Red Devils" squadron markings. It's not 100% finished - it still needs a pilot, a windscreen and a stand/base for in game use.

It's the first plastic plane I've built since I was a kid. It's a rather cheap and nasty kit, some pieces were so horrible I just left them off, but it looks okay for wargaming purposes I hope. I've got some much nicer kits to progress to, but I want to practice on this sort of kit first.

Now, my idea is to use this in our AVBCW games as air support to my BUF forces. After all, Captain Arrowsmith is best mates with Mussolini! I have a Breda dive bomber and then a few more planes in the pipeline too...

One problem is.... at the moment there are no aircraft rules in the set we use. Also, it's bound to start an arms race in a direction which is a little contrary to the "make do and mend" philosophy of the game. One for the refs to think about!

Shadespyre
Doombull

Aug 5 2014, 11:15 PM #84

Another wave of Interwar armoured vehicles:

A pair of Lancia armoured trucks, as used in Ireland:

There were a few bits missing, so I had to knock them together from plasticard and greenstuff.

And a Morris CS9 Armoured Car:

Not happy with this model! The resin is very brittle, and the whole thing seems too small. The turret should take two crew seated side by side, this was the closest I could get to that.

It's a scout vehicle, hence the open turret and the radio antenna. The armament of a Boys AT rifle and a Bren gun soon saw these armoured cars relegated from the front line once WWII broke out, but will be interesting in our games where anti-tank weapons are fairly rare.

I also have a pile of tank parts which apparently make a Crusader tank, but I seem to be lacking some parts and have too many of others. I think I can make a tank, but quite what tank I don't know! :shrug:

mrtn
Doombull
mrtn
Doombull

Aug 6 2014, 07:31 PM #85

Looking good, nice antenna.

I bought into Trenchworx's WWI tank kickstarter, might be something interesting for you there. And two weeks after I did that Warlord released their first WWI tanks...
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's terrain
Dwarves and Goblins
My Thirty Years of War

Shadespyre
Doombull

Aug 6 2014, 09:50 PM #86

I shall have a look. The vehicles Warlord have done so far look a step above the stuff I've been having to work with!

snowblizz
Doombull

Aug 7 2014, 11:45 AM #87

Every time I see new post here I get the urge to write "A Very Baltic Civil War"...

Shadespyre
Doombull

Sep 21 2014, 10:42 AM #89

Just a quickie ahead of next week's Big Game - a quickly painted pilot for my CR32. The Italian Air Force makes its debut on Saturday! :thumbsup:

snowblizz
Doombull

Sep 21 2014, 11:59 AM #90

Captain Bertorelli? ;)