Wet Weather

Wet Weather

penny sloman
penny sloman

May 8th, 2012, 12:32 pm #1

Hello everyone,

With the weather being so bad and wet, i still want to collect Herbs to make tinctures but unsure how to do it, the books say only to collect on dry days but we haven't had any dry days! Any ideas please, can i ticture wet herbs? Do i change the amounts or ratios?

Thanks,

Penny.

May 8th, 2012, 10:33 pm #2

Hi Penny

Wet weather like this is really frustrating, but don't despair. Collect your herbs when you can and prioritise dry windy days when the herbs may have had a chance to dry out a little in a warm environment like your kitchen when you're cooking. If they are really sopping, lay them out or hang them somewhere to dry off a bit (cake cooling trays are good). You can leave them up to four days or so before you tincture them. Some people leave fresh dry herbs to wilt for a day or so to reduce the water content before tincturing.

Other people in your household may complain about the sudden appearance of damp herbs everywhere, but ignore them, they'll be grateful for the medicine when they need it:)

Once they are dry and/or wilted, then tincture as normal.

In past years when I've had to harvest wet, I've either ended up completley covering my parents' rayburn or making loads of vinegars instead.

Today was wonderful. I was amazed that the marjoram I picked for tonight's spag bol was completely dry yet it was from a dense bunch and the ground is sodden.

Have fun

Sarah

penny slomman
penny slomman

May 9th, 2012, 3:43 pm #3

Hello everyone,

With the weather being so bad and wet, i still want to collect Herbs to make tinctures but unsure how to do it, the books say only to collect on dry days but we haven't had any dry days! Any ideas please, can i ticture wet herbs? Do i change the amounts or ratios?

Thanks,

Penny.
Hi Sarah

That's brilliant - thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Penny.

Jane Tapping
Jane Tapping

May 9th, 2012, 9:09 pm #4

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Penny.
I am seriously thinking of turning all my garden into watercress beds. Unfortunately our local brook is not a clear chalk stream, so perhaps not. Pity! I love watercress. My old Mum always told me it was good for you! Old Mum's often know best.

Jane

May 10th, 2012, 1:32 pm #5

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Penny.
I have been happily juicing Cleavers today bunches and bunches of it then freezing it in ice cube trays for later on in the year ..... seems fitting in this wild wetness...