Statutory Regulation NOT the right avenue

Statutory Regulation NOT the right avenue

Licia Claveria
Licia Claveria

October 12th, 2009, 9:09 am #1

Dear Herb Society Forum

I've just been reading quickly some of your postings on Statutory Regulation.

I am a medical herbalist (BSc Hons) practicing from home and i'm worried about the way that we are being bullied into SR or else we won't be allowed to practice.

As i understand it the main reason given for SR is the protection of the public from harm. I find that completely unrealistic in the face of the thousands of fatalities from medical errors or drugs side effects.

Please copy and paste the following link to read more about it and have a clearer view of the situation before you fill in the Consultation Paper:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sup ... icine.html

Regards

licia

judith
judith

October 20th, 2009, 9:53 am #2

As I understand it following EU legislation in 2011 qualified medical herbalists will no longer be able to practice if they have not been regulated. Is this not the case?

October 22nd, 2009, 11:01 am #3

Dear Herb Society Forum

I've just been reading quickly some of your postings on Statutory Regulation.

I am a medical herbalist (BSc Hons) practicing from home and i'm worried about the way that we are being bullied into SR or else we won't be allowed to practice.

As i understand it the main reason given for SR is the protection of the public from harm. I find that completely unrealistic in the face of the thousands of fatalities from medical errors or drugs side effects.

Please copy and paste the following link to read more about it and have a clearer view of the situation before you fill in the Consultation Paper:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sup ... icine.html

Regards

licia
Hi Licia,

as I understand it, the main reason for supporting SR is to maintain access to medicines.

Hi Judith,

After 2011 herbalists will still be able practice under the current provisions in the Medicines Act 1968. However, access to medicines made up by third party manufacturers will be restricted to "authorised healthcare professionals". Without regulation, herbalists will not be considered as such. They will still be able to but in single tinctures and dry herbs from manufacturers or make their own but the point is, I think, that this is the thin end of the wedge and it would only take one small further adjustment to the Medicines Act 1968 to remove this right as well.