parsley and roses

parsley and roses

October 24th, 2008, 2:06 pm #1

I have been reading up on companion planting and have just come across some information that says that if you grow parsley next to your roses, it will increase their scent. That is a new one on me. Has anyone heard of that or had any first hand experience of it ?

Linda

October 27th, 2008, 7:59 am #2

Hi Linda

This isn't something I'm familiar with, although through a quick search online I discovered lots of people saying that parsley is reputed to boost the health of roses and improve the scent. Whether that is true I don't know, I know that chives help to deter pests when planted near roses, but parsley as a beneficial for roses is a new one on me.

I'll test it next year, one wonders if planting flat leaved parsley would have a greater effect on the scent as it has a better scent and flavour than the moss curled parsley? I vaguely recall a display garden I went to a couple of years ago had some rose beds edged in parsley. I'll see if I can find any photos and if I can will contact the garden and ask if they do it for a reason, or if its just decorative. Be interesting to find something concrete though instead of all the it's reputed, it's alledged.

Debs