Lavender Fields

Lavender Fields

July 12th, 2008, 3:32 pm #1

Just been to the Castle Farm in Kent to take a quick tour around the Lavender Fields and a peak at how the Lavender is distilled.
There were massage therapists in the field itself, and the wonderful smell of Lavender wafting over whilst we walked.
The shop was teeming with goodies, but I only had £6 on me, which was enough to buy a bunch of hybrid Lavender intermedia (Smell lasts longer) for £2 and the tour for £4!
The shop only accepts cash or cheques, which I suppose is a good thing, becasue I wanted to buy their new product "sleepy time" which is Lavender, Geranium and Hops (don't quote me, this is all from memory, and given to senior moments...)
There was also Lavender chocolate, biscuits, lavender sugar, soaps, lotions, jams, jellies, and a new range of Lavender teas.
I shall just have to go back. With cash!
It was an open weekend and it was such a lovely outing.
Have any of you made anything unusal with Lavender?
JaneCH

July 13th, 2008, 9:19 am #2

Hi Jane,
That sounds like a lovely trip you had to the lavender fields.
On the culinary front, I`ve made lavender lemonade and lavender biscuits. Today, as it is tolerably dry, I intend picking the lavender from the garden to make some flavoured sugar.
Have you ever tried lavender ice cream? A few years ago when we were on holiday in Polperro, we found a shop selling lavender and honey ice cream.--very nice it was too!

Like most people, I`ve made lavender bags,but I`ve never got round to making wands from lavender,which is something i keep intending to do.

We have someone who has joined our Dorset herb group,Ann,who is very talented at crafts and she will be doing a workshop at our October meeting and I believe she mentioned that she would be making some things with lavender.
I think that you are in Dorset arn`t you,seem to remember a posting you did about Monkey World. It would be great if you could get a long to some of the meetings.Details on the forum.
Linda

July 13th, 2008, 10:48 am #3

Hi Linda,
Thanks for your post, Lavender icecream indeed somunds yummy, combined with Honey, my other favourite food.
Unfortunately I do not live in Dorset, but in Kent!
I know there are a lot of Jane's around. Where I worked there were 4! Everytime someone said Jane, we all looked up!
So, that's why I put CH on the end, hopefully not to confuse anyone.
I don't have much Lavender in my garden, but yesterday the gentleman taking the tour showed us 20 acres of french lavender, "Mariette" (Not sure of spelling) which the owner of Castle Farm brought back one stalk, and had micropopagated.
I also learnt in my course work about lavender wands,although I haven't tried to make them either.
It's a pity, I would llike to go to the workshop.
I have made a commitment to getting around to all these places and workshops of interests, so you never know, I just might make it.
Jane CH

July 13th, 2008, 12:36 pm #4

Many apologies Jane--reaching into the far corners of my brain,I think it was a Jane T that posted on the forum about Monkey World (which is in Dorset )
May I enquire what the course was that you did,sounds interesting?

Linda

July 14th, 2008, 7:05 am #5

No problem Linda. I did an online course on Herbs, it was with the Horticultural Correspondence college.
It was called "Enjoy Herbs", I think it was previously called, "Herbs for pleasure and profit"
It covers all aspects of herbaceous plants, and gives advice on growing, harvesting, propagating, historic, medicinal, culinery and cultural interests.
Now I have finished, I feel a bit divorced form it all, so I want ot make an effort to keep up Herbs, and my love for them and their uses.
There was a chapter on Lavender wand making, and how to do it, something about folding the heads of flowers in, and tying ribbon around. I am sure it would be good to do it in that workshop you mentioned.
I shall probably continue studying in the autumn though.
JaneCH

July 14th, 2008, 7:09 pm #6

I've always wanted to make lavender wands. They were doing a lavender wand workshop one of the times I visited the Eden Project, but my husband isn't big on staying in one place for very long when we visit places, so I didn't get to go inside the yurt until they were just finishing and didn't get a chance to make one for myself.

I know Cheryl on the Herb Society council knows how to make them.

Sarah

Jane Tapping
Jane Tapping

July 15th, 2008, 5:09 pm #7

Hello Sarah, Linda and the other Jane,

I presume that lavender wands are the same thing I think of as lavender bottles, bunches tied up, then ribbon woven through. I have a couple of books with instuctions(from the craft craze of the 1970's) I'll look them out and post the instructions if anyone would like. Haven't tried them myself for many a year, since my daughter was small in fact, they didn't turn out very tidy as was rather distracted at times. Shall try again.

Jane T

July 16th, 2008, 8:42 am #8

Hi Jane

If you could post the insturctions, that would be wonderful! My mother's lavender is just starting to come into bud and I have masses of different coloured ribbons that I use for working with wood. I'd really like to give it a go.

Sarah

Jane Tapping
Jane Tapping

July 18th, 2008, 3:24 pm #9

Hello Sarah,

Lavender Bottles as requested.

Old English is the best for making lavender bottles. Pick lavender just before your are ready to begin the bottles and choose stalks of flowers that are just opening. You will need about 22 heads with long sturdy stalks. Tie them together with wool or embroidery thread just below the heads, then bend the stalks back over the heads for form bottle. Leave enough of a 1 1/2 yd long piece of narrow ribbon at the neck of the bottle (to make half a bow) thread the rest up through the inside to begin weaving from the base. Weave under and over every two stalks, pulling the ribbon firml;y as you go. Continue round and round to the top. Enough ribbon should be left for make a bow. Cut protruding stalks off level and you have finished.

I think where I went wrong in the past was in not picking the flowers when the stems were still fairly pliable. Seem to remember they broke a lot. Shall have to have another go, if the rain lets up!
Picture at http://tri.smugmug.com/gallery/5464106_ ... 6917_kugaf
Jane T.

July 19th, 2008, 9:06 am #10

Hi Jane,
Thank you for that. Your instructions were lovely and clear and made me think that I could actually do that. The link is very handy as well.

If it dries up enough over the weekend,I`ll pick some of my lavender and have ago.

Regards
Linda