Canine herbalist

Canine herbalist

March 28th, 2012, 9:21 am #1

Hi,
I have dogs and have fed a raw diet for nearly 10 yrs now and I was introduced to this way of life when a family member gave me a book by Juliette de Bairacli Levy. I actually used the herbal remedies before I fed raw and I was amazed by their effectiveness, especially when helping one of my eldery dogs with chronic kidney failure. I have remained interested in herbal use but was wondering as I stumbled across your forum if there were courses specifically for canine herbalism. I would also be interested if people could direct me to more recommended reading in this field.

March 28th, 2012, 12:30 pm #2

I'm afraid I don't know of any specific courses but Henriette Kress runs an email discussion list around herbs for pets which you could join. Unfortunately Rebecca Hartman's Herbwifery Forum is down and I'm presuming won't reappear which is a great shame as there was a lot of useful information including herbs for pets.

You could take a look at Susun Weed's forum - there may be information there. 7Song7song also runs a email list for herbal students, so you could ask there.

Have you enquired at the Royal College of Vetinary Science about herbal courses? I hear a lot of people talking about vets using herbs for pets, so there may be something formal being offered. One of my new apprentices who works with horses was talking about the herbs she feeds her mares without realising why the plant material did what it did (this was using vitex for moody mares!), so it seems the information is there if not widely understood.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sarah

March 28th, 2012, 2:45 pm #3

Hi,
I have dogs and have fed a raw diet for nearly 10 yrs now and I was introduced to this way of life when a family member gave me a book by Juliette de Bairacli Levy. I actually used the herbal remedies before I fed raw and I was amazed by their effectiveness, especially when helping one of my eldery dogs with chronic kidney failure. I have remained interested in herbal use but was wondering as I stumbled across your forum if there were courses specifically for canine herbalism. I would also be interested if people could direct me to more recommended reading in this field.
Debs Cook has suggested you get in touch with the British Society of Vetinary Herbalists www.herbalvets.org.uk. She has also reviewed the Herbs for Pets book by Gregory L. Tifford & Mary L. Wulff on her bloghttp://ukherbarium.co.uk/blog/2010/01/herbs-for-pets/.

Sarah