Rex, Came Across This, Thought You Might Enjoy It

Rex, Came Across This, Thought You Might Enjoy It

Big Kohona

01 Jul 2016, 06:43 #1

This is probably old news to you, but I came across this A-4 Skyhawk thread on BM and thought you might find it interesting.

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

01 Jul 2016, 13:35 #2

I saw that he joined the 1/72 forum, and posted a link to that as his first post.

It's sort of funny, I have been avoiding using other people's photos for years and years. This has frustrated me and many others when we try to illustrate this stuff.

Then, he comes along and posts almost every A-4B photo you can find.

He does lay it out very well, though. A lot of people should get benefit from his efforts.

I smiled kind of wryly when I remembered how much howling I caused by mentioning that kit's nose, rudder and wing tank problems.

I am going to just quietly remind him not to fix the rudder if he has plans to use any decals that have to fit the Airfix rudder ribs, though. It would be a shame to do the work and then make the decals not fit over the ribs.

He does make one very good point,,,,,,,out of all the kits that we can get fairly easily, new or used, the Airfix kit has the best shape. (especially compared to that "too fat" Fujimi body,,,,,,,,,I know, I know,,,,,,more howling, lol)

Big Kohona

01 Jul 2016, 22:47 #3

Funny isn't it, one person can post comments about a kit (as you did) and everyone "howls", yet another person can do the same thing later on and it's welcomed information...go figure.

As for the A-4 kit itself, I'll be living with my Fujimi kit. Resin for it aside, I took your comments way back and scooped up an ESCI A-4 off eBay (nice and cheap) and kept the drop tanks.

Speaking of ESCI, remind me, overall, how good or bad is it really?

With so many really good paint schemes/colorful markings, part of me wouldn't mind adding some more A-4s to the collection but I am not keen on dropping a small fortune to do so.

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

02 Jul 2016, 07:40 #4

Esci is perfect.

Right dimensions, in correct scale, only good injected drop tanks in 1/72. (including A-7 models, all A-4s, and A-1 models)

Detail is not up to Fujimi or New Airfix kits,,,,,,,but, both of those have "busy, but fake" details in places like the wheel wells, etc.

Slats aren't separate, but, "slat lock straps" are easy to make,,,,,,dive brakes are just lines, but, those weren't open when on the ground, anyway. (that means you don't have to fill any lines with putty)

You can get Esci in Esci, Esci/ERTL, Scalecraft, AMT, and some Revell boxings.

Just throw out the "MERs", and use Hasegawa weapons,,,,,,or Fujimi MERs and Snakeyes.

Shhhhh, since not many read this anyway,,,,,,,,,Esci is the best A-4 Skyhawk in 1/72. Back in the day,,,,,,,,,,,IPMS designed and sold A-4C conversion sets for this kit,,,,,,and Esoteric had A-4B and A-4C both for it.

here's why

Fujimi,,,,,,,,too fat from intakes back to tail
Hasegawa,,,,,,,,extremely too long (1/70? Scale)
Italeri,,,,,,,undersize (1/76ish scale)
Old Airfix,,,,extremely crude
Matchbox,,,,,,yikes, lol
New Airfix,,,,,,,,as you just read in FAAMAN's thread,,,,,,wrong, a bunch,,,,,,the nose, the tail, the scab plate repairs, etc

All releases, no matter which company,,,,,,are re-releases from these 7 toolings.

Big Kohona

03 Jul 2016, 07:11 #5

Right on! Thanks Rex.