Phantom Version List

Phantom Version List

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

24 Dec 2016, 20:41 #1

This is just a version list, in alphabetic order, not in order of invention or production.

Keep in mind that for any type-letter, there are multiple variations due to the Production Block a Phantom was produced in, or to a mod program or system addition that went onto any certain Phantom type.

Also, some of the prototypes of some of the letter codes had differently configured aircraft to test the systems or flight characteristics before being combined into an actual aircraft ready for production. (best example is the YF-4Es used to develop the gun nose)

So, this is more like a Table of Contents, than a Chapter,,,,it will take an actual Chapter for each aircraft type.

F4H-1
F4H-1F
F-4A

F4H-1
F-4B
F-4N

F-110A
F-4C
"EF-4C"
F-4D
EF-4D
YF-4E
F-4E
F-4EJ
F-4EJ Kai
F-4F
F-4F ICE
F-4G USAF

F-4G USN

YF-4J
F-4J Blue Angels
F-4J
F-4J(UK)
F-4J/S
YF-4K
F-4K
YF-4M
F-4M
F-4S

F4H-1P
RF-4B
YRF-4C
RF-4C
RF-4E

RF-4EJ Kai
F-4E(S)

Kurnass 2000
Super Phantom

QF-4B
QF-4N
QF-4S
QF-4E?
QF-4G
QRF-4C?

EF-4B
NF-4B
DF-4J
"EF-4J"

F-4 Agile Eagle
F-4 FBW
F-4 Pact
F-4 CCV

Each of these, and many more, will get their own entry, to try to show what is possible for each type of Phantom produced.

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

27 Dec 2016, 18:13 #2

These are the airframe groups.

I am going to do this in paragraph style, grouped by the major parts that each type in a group had in common. The details will be described in "modeler's style", instead of the AN/ALQ/RHAW/TACAN-12345 designations. (I will include those designations, but, they won't be the only things describing the details) A new Phantom modeler would have no hope of building if I said "add the AN/ALQ-51A to the back of the F-4J radome", for example.

Also, I won't be saying things backwards the way many do,,,,,I just today read that "F-4N mods were added to some F-4Bs." In reality, some mods were made to F-4Bs,,,and then when Project Bee Line was implemented those same F-4B mods were included in the F-4N upgrades, so if a B had a slotted stab when it was upgraded to an N, it kept it,,,,if a B didn't have a slotted stab when it entered the program, it gone one.

So, look for these groupings to change after we get back from Texas next week.

********Original nose shape, Thin Wing

YF4H-1
F4H-1
F4H-1F
F-4A

********Short Nose, Thin Wing

F4H-1 (later F-4A)
F4H-1F (later F-4A)
F-4A
F4H-1 (later F-4B)
F-4B
F-4N
F-110A
F-4C
F-4G USN
EF-4B
NF-4B
QF-4B
QF-4N
YF-4J

********Short Nose, Thick Wing

F-4C
EF-4C
F-4D
EF-4D
F-4J Blue Angels
F-4J
F-4J(UK)
F-4J/S
F-4S
DF-4J
EF-4J
QF-4S

********Short Nose, Thick Wing, Spey Fuselage

YF-4K
F-4K
YF-4M
F-4M

********Gun Nose

YF-4E
F-4E
F-4EJ
F-4EJ Kai
RF-4EJ Kai
F-4F
F-4F ICE
F-4G USAF
QF-4E
QF-4G
Kurnass 2000
Super Phantom

********Recce Nose

F4H-1P
RF-4B
YRF-4C
RF-4C
YF-4E
RF-4E
RF-4E (with Kai mods)
QRF-4C

F-4E(S)

********To be placed in group later

F-4 Agile Eagle
F-4 FBW
F-4 Pact
F-4 CCV

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

03 Jan 2017, 19:58 #3

Hah, I just had a thought for a cool set of models for somewhere like the IPMS-USA Nats.

Build all of the F-4B and F-4N variations, including one Block 5 F-4A, and set them on the table together. Include a reference photo for them all, under the entry form. That way, when you have all of the different nose, tail and other sensor parts on your F-4Bs, and someone says "that is the F-4N nose", you can show him that the "F-4N nose" was used on F-4Bs before the F-4N was invented. That small batch of F-4Bs with the F-4G doors on the top of the fuselage needs to be included as well. (Photo is mandatory for those,,,even though one was a MiG-Killer)

There were more variations of F-4B than even Kim identifies in his Blog.