An Overview Of The Collection Parameters

An Overview Of The Collection Parameters

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

29 Mar 2017, 21:28 #1

I am restarting my model collection from Zero.

As I complete a model done to my new standards and methods, I will bump an old one off of the shelf.

I am building in stages, so that at any point along the way towards getting One Aircraft from each Squadron, I will have an actual model collection built to some theme.

This collection is going to be different than when I first envisioned it.

I took a look at all the resin, photo etch, white metal, brass and vacuform parts I have accumulated so far,,,,,and said STOP!!! to myself. I then thought about the 5 or 6 viewers of my finished models. Most of them don't know FS from ANA, Electric fuzes from Mechanical, or even VA-12 from VA-15.

So instead of highly detailed, aftermarket loaded models, here is what I am now going to do.

I am going to build my models from the best kit that I have, for each squadron. That is because even my "worst" looking Intruder still "looks like an Intruder" for the most part. And the same for all the other aircraft. I will still have "pets" that I will correct as I go,,,,,but, not nearly as many as I was going to do.

They will get the "newest, best" decals that I have for them,,,,,,,and be painted in 1/1 colors. That is because I won't be weathering them, and because decal companies are stuck with 1/1 colors when they specify their decal colors to the printers.

The only concession I will make to weathering is a lot of the models with have a Semi-Gloss finish after they are done. That is because of all of the "Gloss flattens with age" and "Flats polish up some with age" statements all over the internet. Models used to highlight the specs will still get Flat here and Gloss there on them,,,,,,but, only those models.

Weapons will be a big part of the models, as always. That is because I am not a fan of "Supersonic Fuel transporters" (aircraft with all drop tanks). But, I will be using OOB weapons sets, instead of "resin this, and etched those" all over the place. I know that some of the weapons are under or over sized in kits and weapons sets,,,,,,but, there is never a consensus on what is "wrong" with them anyway.

So, Best Kit Available, Closed panels and canopies, Aftermarket Decals, Add-on Weapons, all painted to USN FS 595A spec 1/1 colors in Acrylics, with primer coats under the paints.

Since I already have all of the stuff,,,,,,that is how I will build from mid-2016 onward.

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

29 Mar 2017, 21:30 #2

Early Navy Wing Examples

Later Navy Wing Examples

One of Each Important Navair Aircraft Type

USN Aircraft Color Schemes

One of Each Double Letter Navy Air Wing Tail Code

One Aircraft From Each Fast Carrier in the USN CV-1 to CVN-76

One of Each Deplorable Navy Squadron from VF-1 to VA-216

One of each Detachment Type

One of each Skyhawk squadron and each Skyhawk type

One of each Phantom squadron and each Phantom type

One from each Single Tail Code

Decommissioned or Recommissioned Squadrons

Phantoms not in USN Line Squadrons

Other Interesting Aircraft

Models that fit in later categories won't be done over, I will just include little labels on the shelf to "See AN for VA-16",,,,,,so that I can do this with the smallest number of models possible. (around 200 or so)

There will be "mini-themes" in the course of doing this, such as the evolution of Light Gull Gray and Light Gray on aircraft. Or the evolution from single bombs to MERs and IMERs. This will have to include models from the F11C and F4B up to the F/A-18F Super Hornet.

I designed this collection theme to minimize the number of models,,,,,and to save money by purchasing only kits and decals that help this theme. (muchhhhh cheaper than buying everything I saw with Navy or Marines on the rear fuselage, lol)

**Note** The "Other Interesting Aircraft" section is up there because I still want to do many of the Trainers, Biplanes, USMC, and other Misc Aircraft that I have accumulated over the years.

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

21 Aug 2017, 19:34 #3

Here is the template for the model entries for the general information before the build notes and the photo.

Collection Place

Description of the reason for being here

Project Number xxxx New Build

A/C Type

Tail Code Modex

Squadron

Air Wing/Group

BuNo

Trim

CV

Date

From Decal List