1/72 Skyhawk Finders And Tooling Guide

1/72 Skyhawk Finders And Tooling Guide

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

13 Oct 2016, 15:59 #1

I'm going to start off with a list of the companies that have released Skyhawks in 1/72. This is not yet a list of toolings, I will post that in a later reply. This thread will also include reviews of the 7 toolings that you could still find in your searches. (of the other 3, 2 went OOP soon after release and 1 hasn't been released yet)

I will also include a builders guide for each US version of the Skyhawk in the Versions and Conversions section of the site.

First the list. Even though it implies that there were a lot of Skyhawks released, all of these releases came from the same 7 toolings.

Ace
AMT
AMT/ERTL
Airfix (old tooling)
Airfix (new tooling)
Central (long OOP, collector's item)
Esci
Esci/ERTL
Frog
Fujimi
Hasegawa
Heller
Hobby Boss (this is the one that is not released yet)
Humbrol
IMC
Italeri
Kangnam
Lindberg
MPC
Matchbox
Minicraft Hasegawa
Otaki (long OOP, collector's item)
Revell
Scalecraft Esci
Starfix
SUR
Tamiya
Testors
US Airfix

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

13 Oct 2016, 16:44 #2

From the above list, it looks like there are a couple of dozen Skyhawks, doesn't it?

But, there are only 7 toolings out there.

Esci
Airfix (new)
Fujimi
Italeri
Hasegawa
Airfix (old)
Matchbox

and the Long OOP Central, Long OOP Otaki, and the not released yet versions from Hobby Boss.

here's why ("copy" doesn't necessarily mean pirated, it just means that the mold came from the company listed) a "*" means that is an original tooling.

Ace is the Hasegawa tooling
AMT is the Matchbox tooling
AMT/ERTL is the Esci tooling
*Airfix (old tooling) Original
*Airfix (new tooling) Original
Central, long OOP
*Esci Original
Esci/ERTL is the Esci tooling
Frog is the Hasegawa tooling
*Fujimi Original
*Hasegawa Original
Heller is the Esci tooling (probably wrong, going by the release date, it is more likely the Old Airfix tooling, making the Heller and Humbrol releases unrelated)
Hobby Boss is not released yet
Humbrol is the Esci tooling
IMC is the Hasegawa tooling
*Italeri Original
Kangnam is the Hasegawa tooling
Lindberg is the Hasegawa tooling
MPC is the old Airfix tooling
*Matchbox Original
Minicraft Hasegawa is the Hasegawa tooling
Otaki, long OOP
Revell, some are the Hasegawa tooling
Revell, some are the Italeri tooling
Revell Esci is the Esci tooling
Scalecraft Esci is the Esci tooling
Starfix is the old Airfix tooling
SUR is the Fujimi tooling
Tamiya is the Italeri tooling
Testors is the Italeri tooling
US Airfix is the old Airfix tooling

Let's sort these by tooling, and list who has released them in their boxes. This might be an easier way to see this.

*****Esci tooling

Esci
Scalecraft Esci
Esci/ERTL
AMT/ERTL
Heller (this one may be the Airfix kit, since it was released almost a decade before the Esci kit was tooled up)
Humbrol (this is definite)
Revell Esci (*H-2212 and H-2213 for examples)

*****Airfix new tooling

Airfix

*****Fujimi tooling

Fujimi
SUR

*****Italeri tooling

Italeri
Testors
Tamiya
Revell (#4358, for example)

*****Hasegawa tooling

Hasegawa
Frog
IMC
Minicraft Hasegawa
ACE
Kangnam
Lindberg
Revell ( # 04316)

*****Airfix old tooling

Airfix
MPC
Starfix
US Airfix
Heller (since it was released in 1973, it can't be Esci)

(did Airfix Craftmaster have this in their line?)

*****Matchbox tooling

Matchbox
AMT

*****Central, Otaki, Hobby Boss,,,,,already covered

From the above breakdown you can see that AMT had 2 different toolings in their boxes (Esci and Matchbox) and Revell had 3 (Esci, Italeri and Hasegawa) that means if someone is seeking help with those company's kits, they need to say what other label is on the box, or the kit number, in order for people to know what kit they have so that they can actually help.

Also note that even though a lot of people think that the Italeri kit is the Esci kit reboxed,,,,,,it is NOT. The Italeri is a completely different tooling. This will be shown in the photos of the kit parts later in this thread.

(Scalemates "fixers" can use this thread to correct that database whenever a new person comes along, joins, and thinks he remembers, changing that info all around in the process. That is because this list will stay static, and is based on "I see the models in the open boxes" instead of "Ahh Thank I remember it" or "someone said it is this")

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

13 Oct 2016, 21:44 #3

here is the age of the toolings

Old Airfix (1958)
Hasegawa (sometime before 1971, when Frog repopped it)
Matchbox (1976)
Esci (1980)
Italeri (1983)
Fujimi (1987)
New Airfix (2012)

and Hobby Boss is still pending as of Oct 2016

RexTN
Advanced Member
RexTN
Advanced Member

13 Oct 2016, 21:55 #4

Here is what the kits were tooled as for the various companies.

***Old Airfix (crude details)

Only ever released as A4D-1/A-4A, although Starfix added a crude refueling probe to theirs and sold it as an A-4F. The main part of the model was still an A4D-1, though.

***Hasegawa (scale feet too long)

Tooled and sold in various boxings as A-4E or A-4F, with a later addition as the TA-4F/J, and a change to make an OA-4M. Any version that included the Dorsal Hump had that as a separate piece.

***Matchbox (crude details)

A-4M. That is all this kit has been released as OOB.

***Esci (MOST accurate of all the 1/72 kits ever available)

A-4E and A-4F. This tooling had the hump as a separate piece, allowing one to build both A-4E versions, the F, the G, early H, etc.

***Italeri (entire kit slightly underscale)

All three versions of this kit had the hump built right in. That means late A-4E, A-4F from those boxings, A-4M from those, and OA-4M from those boxes. I suppose one could cut the hump off and fill the gap,,,,,,but, since this kit is also undersized, I don't know why one would bother. Also called the Esci tooling by people that have never seen Esci and Italeri kits side by side. The difference in length between the toolings gives that away.

***Fujimi (great details, often called the best kit, but too fat aft of the engine intakes)

A-4B, and derivatives
A-4C, could add a hump from A-4E kits to make an A-4L, but, only put 3 pylons on if still in US service.
A-4E, Super E, F, Super F, etc. Later boxings include the tail tip avionics molded right onto the fuselage halves
A-4M early and late boxings
TA-4F/J and OA-4M, again, the fuselage for the OA-4M has a separate hump, and the rear halves include the tail tip Avionics molded in

***New Airfix (also a good kit, except for the notes below)

A-4B,,,,,,,but, with the "A-4B length and A-4C shaped nose", also has a rudder that is too tall at the bottom

In the course of a convo where I said using the Esci nose, rudder, and intakes on the New Airfix kit to make the best A-4E is a way to go, a guy said that it wouldn't work, because the rear fuselage isn't for a B. He said to use the Fujimi kit for A-4E, completely ignoring that "fat look" and the fact that except for the tail tip, all of the Fujimi kits use the same rear fuselage pieces for B, E, F, M, TA-4, etc

Esci tooling with added detail parts, or Esci nose on New Airfix are currently the best two ways to model the Skyhawk in actual 1/72, with an accurate outline. Esci is also the best place to get accurate plastic 300 gallon drop tanks, all other Skyhawk kits have messed this up.

I'm fully aware that this does not agree with many reviews published or online. But, I know how the Fujimi kit wound up fat, and I have all the toolings to compare between them all.

I'll post photos in this thread later, to show what I am talking about.