What kind of handcuffs does your local law enforcement is using?

What kind of handcuffs does your local law enforcement is using?

December 2nd, 2005, 4:06 pm #1

I saw a post asking what kind of handcuffs does the FBI uses.
I think it will be interesting to know what kind / brand of handcuffs does your city, county, provincial, state, federal law enforcement officers are using.
I hope whoever replying this post is just ask from a friend in that field, or observe when they are using them, but don't ever have them used on you for real LOL.

To start the string, since Hong Kong was a British colony, of course they used the Hiatts. In the very early days, the darbies, then to the 1970 models (never used the 1960s) and start from the mid 80's, they used the handcuffs from Taiwan but it was not for long and being replaced by the Hiatt 2010. I have seen a few pairs of the Hiatt Quickcuffs, only carried by female officers. I have never see the police uses hinge cuffs. So if you unbuckle the handcuff pouch of a HK police officer, you will probably find 3 types of hancuffs: Hiatt 1970, Hiatt 2010 and the Taiwanese cuffs.

Steve Santini
Steve Santini

December 2nd, 2005, 5:46 pm #2

Hi,

The RCMP here use Smith and Wesson model 100 cuffs.

Corrections Canada, (our prison system), uses Peerless hinged cuffs and also usually Peerless leg irons for transport.

They sometimes use Hiatt leg irons as well.

Steve Santini

December 2nd, 2005, 6:37 pm #3

I think it will be interesting to know what kind / brand of handcuffs does your city, county, provincial, state, federal law enforcement officers are using.
I hope whoever replying this post is just ask from a friend in that field, or observe when they are using them, but don't ever have them used on you for real LOL.

To start the string, since Hong Kong was a British colony, of course they used the Hiatts. In the very early days, the darbies, then to the 1970 models (never used the 1960s) and start from the mid 80's, they used the handcuffs from Taiwan but it was not for long and being replaced by the Hiatt 2010. I have seen a few pairs of the Hiatt Quickcuffs, only carried by female officers. I have never see the police uses hinge cuffs. So if you unbuckle the handcuff pouch of a HK police officer, you will probably find 3 types of hancuffs: Hiatt 1970, Hiatt 2010 and the Taiwanese cuffs.
Hello dear friends,

each policemen has to use only official handcuffs in my country (the Czech Republic). As the only and official handcuffs - handcuffs RALK are used, this is the nickel version with two pawls. Policemen cannot choose handcuffs they want to use at all. There is only one exception (or at least I was told this) - policemen serving for criminal police and other troops in case they don´t wear uniform (they use civilian clothes)can use all equipment they want. This means they can use other handcuffs in this situation, but I am sure that nobody uses other cuffs than RALK. To be frank only RALKEM cuffs are officially sold here, but on the other hand it´s almost impossible to get them in shops - I had to order them directly from ALFA-PROJ. In addition if they want to use other cuffs they have to buy them from their own salary and there is no possibility to get the money as a compensation from the Police service. So I doubt that policemen use other cuffs than RALK.
Prison service and court guards use special hinged handcuffs - (Stan Willis sells them), these cuffs can be seen on my sites under the name Vezenska 1,2. But these prison officers mustn´t use other cuffs than this official model.
So as you see my country is relatively pure on handcuffs models.

Josef
Czech Republic

Dorson
Dorson

December 2nd, 2005, 6:48 pm #4

Well I live in a major metropolitan area know as the Nations Capital or Washington, DC. We have so many different law enforcement agencies to even mention in detail, but it goes from counties to state and every Federal one you can think of. Depending on there needs I have seen high security ones like ADI Saf-Lok to your standard makes of S&W, Peerless, Hiatts, etc.

-Dorson

Atame
Atame

December 2nd, 2005, 8:30 pm #5

This question is not easy to answer concerning the German police. It seems to be different from federal state to federal state (=Bundesland). Here in Bavaria most policemen use Clejuso No. 11, 12 or the older 12/R. But I've also encountered Hiatt, Smith & Wesson or Alcyon handcuffs in the pouches of Munich policemen and policewomen. Moreover I've seen pictures of arrests or trials were the delinquent had to wear Hagge's "Deutsche Polizei". And for prisoner transports the officers often use Clejuso No. 101.

Best regards,
Guenter
www.atame.info

December 2nd, 2005, 9:25 pm #6

hi

here in the netherlands we use lips hinged cuffs for law enforces
and al police officers even in jail the arrest teams use lips hinged black cuffs and we never use legirons thats not allowed

cheers

Patrick

The Amazing Michael
The Amazing Michael

December 2nd, 2005, 10:00 pm #7

In South/Eastern Michigan the police officers are not issued handcuffs, therefor, they have the choice to carry anything that has a standard key. I mostly see S&W model 100, Peerless model 700, S&W model 300, Hiatt hinge model, and in Detroit, I have seen a number of American Munitions handcuffs. Most of the officers carry Flex-Cuffs in thier hats as a back up as well. In our local jail, They use S&W model 100, Jay-Pee, Peerless hinge, Peerless belly chains with Master #3 padlocks, and Peerless leg irons.

Cheers, Mike

December 2nd, 2005, 10:45 pm #8

I've only seen Sak-Lok Mk IV and recently Saf-Lok Mk V used here by police in Western Australia and indeed in most states I have been to.

Parabellum
Parabellum

December 2nd, 2005, 10:55 pm #9

The police in Poland used to use old PPST as official handcuffs - they were well enough made but it looks like they are slowly running out of them and the PPST aren't currently made. I can recently see the new version of the Polish handcuffs in the policeman holsters, unfortunently they're very low quality.
Modern Hiatts and Alcyon cuffs could be also seen in use at the courts.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 3rd, 2005, 2:18 am #10

Cincinnati issues the Peerless chromed Hinged, as well as many of the other departments in Hamilton Co. OH.

I know a FBI Special Agent which also carries the same, he also carries a .45 not the .40 like many other agents.

Howy

Confirmation of reply: