Unknown modern cuff

Unknown modern cuff

November 1st, 2016, 9:26 am #1

Does anyone have any info on these? I only have this picture.

Last edited by lauher on August 4th, 2017, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rasberius
Rasberius

November 1st, 2016, 11:12 am #2

This is Kelmet - new Polish stainless steel handcuffs

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 1st, 2016, 11:22 am #3

These handcuffs are from Poland. The company which produces them is named Kel-Met.

November 1st, 2016, 1:28 pm #4

Thanks, I knew they looked familiar. The Kel-Met I have has a round hollow key.

November 1st, 2016, 8:25 pm #5

Why do some manufacturers design their cuffs with alternating sides? korean cuffs are like that too. You put them on someone the same way and you end up with one cuff key hole facing up and one facing down, so if you want both keyholes to be front or reverse you have to goof around putting them on in different ways. I do not like that design.

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

November 1st, 2016, 9:31 pm #6

SBD:

The short answer: It's less costly to manufacture!

Manufacturing thousands of the IDENTICAL cuffs, and connecting them together to form one handcuff...is ALOT cheaper than manufacturing both a "positive" and a "negative" cuff in order to form one handcuff.

If someone can explain this in a better way, feel free.

Atame
Atame

November 1st, 2016, 10:37 pm #7

Correct. This is the new Kel Met line with solid key and in stainless steel.

They also produce leg irons, a combination, a training model and rigid handcuffs (Speedcuffs), which will all be available at www.cuffsland.com this month.

Best regards,
Guenter

November 1st, 2016, 11:20 pm #8

Makes sense now from a money perspective. Although if I were in law enforcement or some other setting where I needed to handcuff people, having cockeyed handcuffs would frustrate the hell out of me or say screw it and put up with someone always having 1 keyhole accessible.

On a side note about these particular ones. Nice specimens by the way, with a normal keyway there is no ambiguity of where the key goes. These have a slit and if you are trying to uncuff someone or adjust the tightness with someone who is struggling and fidgeting, you're likely to go fumbling around putting the key in the wrong side. If this company is new to the handcuff world I can understand the design.

November 2nd, 2016, 6:07 pm #9

You could have the key side always facing away it just means you have to put one cuff on the other way and tbh even with cuffs like smith and wesson in a struggle im sure sometimes the key sides end up facing opposite ways.

November 2nd, 2016, 8:20 pm #10

In the first variant of Kel-Met handcuffs with barrel key the cuffs were mirrored (this one had the manufacturer signature stamped on the body) and in the later they switched to non-mirrored (no signature on the lock case). Flat-keyed were non-mirrored from the start of production.
I think that the main motivation was economic. Polish policemen are still used to the old MO non-mirrored cuffs (you can find them in use, although less and less frequent - they are/were replaced by Kelmets, Hiatts and Alcyons), so it doesn't make that big of a difference if they are mirrored/non-mirrored.

Confirmation of reply: