Unknown modern cuff

anon
anon

November 3rd, 2016, 5:46 pm #11

Does anyone have any info on these? I only have this picture.

A very unusual key hole which makes no sense as the key can be inserted in the wrong direction and could possibly result in a broken key.

Maybe the pin tip will prevent it from going in too deep if inserted incorrectly to avoid a breakage problem.

It would have been better to punch a regular keyhole shaped hole than the oval one they chose to go with.

Rasberius
Rasberius

November 3rd, 2016, 8:20 pm #12

There is no way to insert the key in the wrong way. The tip of the key is long enough.

anon
anon

November 3rd, 2016, 8:31 pm #13

I guess you could attempt to put the key in wrong only to find out you have to turn it around 180 degrees.

November 3rd, 2016, 9:24 pm #14

It's clunky. There should be no ambiguity of what direction you need to put a key into a lock. Like the old cruciform keys where you have to try up to 4 different times to get the key in the lock until you have the particular side facing the right way. Clunky. Frankly them being new is the only excuse. The key looks like it goes to a set of handcuffs from 1967 or something. I am personally not a fan of those. Even having no occupation requiring handcuffs I still wouldn't want them.

anon
anon

November 3rd, 2016, 10:56 pm #15

the cruciform key typically has one of the 4 sides slightly larger than the other 3, so it would only go in 1 way to be fully inserted, but like this cuff, you would have to try each way until the key was properly seated

Rasberius
Rasberius

November 4th, 2016, 11:06 am #16

I have this model. And the problem is not there.

January 13th, 2017, 6:33 am #17

I am considering buying a pair of these given that I can actually buy more keys, else I would never consider it. I like to know I have backup keys for cuffs. I keep a minimum cuff key count in my wallet so that I can open all or at least most of the cuffs in my possession. My only exception so far is the double lock of some high security Chinese cuffs I do not carry. However the price of these cuffs was so tempting that I knew it was likely I would order them.

Are these NIJ certified does anyone know?

January 13th, 2017, 2:41 pm #18

are they double-locking? Does the cut in the key flag serve a purpose?

January 13th, 2017, 3:31 pm #19

"These handcuffs with an unusual twisted chain are very well made Like all KEL_MET metal restraints, they are made of stainless steel without any nickel plating. They can be securely double locked by small push buttons which are activated by use of the key-top. To unlock the double lock, the key has to be turned against opening direction. All KEL-MET restraints use a special solid key with double bit and cannot be operated with an US standard handcuffs key."

delta
delta

January 28th, 2017, 6:46 pm #20

What is the model number for these hand cuffs? I cannot find it anywhere.

Confirmation of reply: