Unknown Ball and Chain

December 21st, 2017, 9:02 pm #1

I was able to grab this yesterday from an online auction. I havent received it yet, of course. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone has any idea on country of origin, date and is it even a legit ball and chain? I probably should have asked all of this before I bid, but I liked the way it looked and had to have it! Not sure if the key even works anymore? They never showed a pic of it with the shackle unlocked, just with the key standing in the lock. Now that I look closer at it and have studied the pic a bit, I think it was a bad angle. I believe that this particular cuff is actually broken where the chain is connected to the shackle. I wont know for sure until I see it. Still, a cool looking piece to add to the collection. This and a Tower Ball and Chain are the two I have so far. Any info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Richard Knip-

Spencer
Spencer

December 21st, 2017, 10:20 pm #2

Richard

That piece also piqued my interest when I saw it but that "twisted" link near the ball is typical of Asian or eastern European pieces that I've seen. I don't think that it has a domestic origin.

December 22nd, 2017, 12:35 am #3

I was able to grab this yesterday from an online auction. I havent received it yet, of course. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone has any idea on country of origin, date and is it even a legit ball and chain? I probably should have asked all of this before I bid, but I liked the way it looked and had to have it! Not sure if the key even works anymore? They never showed a pic of it with the shackle unlocked, just with the key standing in the lock. Now that I look closer at it and have studied the pic a bit, I think it was a bad angle. I believe that this particular cuff is actually broken where the chain is connected to the shackle. I wont know for sure until I see it. Still, a cool looking piece to add to the collection. This and a Tower Ball and Chain are the two I have so far. Any info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Richard Knip-

I was hoping that too many people didnt have their eye on it. LOL! I did get in a bit of a bidding war though. In fact, I had thrown my last bid, which was as high as I was willing to go, and got outbid by a person at the auction. I was losing as they were calling Fair Warning. I thought I was sure to lose, but the winning bidder retracted their bid at the last second! I have no idea how I got so lucky? Anyway....I am leaning towards a French origin. Possibly somewhere in the 1700s? Maybe earlier. Looking at the picture and a similar that is currently on Ebay, I have concluded that this one is not broken. The connecting loop, on the shackle, for the chain, appears to be intact. Hard to see at the angle of the pic. I am fairly certain that I am in good shape though. My fingers are crossed that they key still works. The sales ad for it, made it sound like it is fully functional.
-Richard Knip-

Nils
Nils

January 9th, 2018, 5:41 pm #4

-Richard Knip-

I have two similar sets, also 2-3 sets of very heavy leg shackles of that type (around 6 and 8 pounds). It could be they are of Austro-Hungarian origin, one of mine reads something with marks that appear Eastern-European.

They are nicely made, very heavy and certainly legit.

Nils

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 9th, 2018, 5:45 pm #5

-Richard Knip-

Very heavy leg shackles of that type (around 6 and 8 pounds)?????

I call 35 ~ 50lbs for a ball and chain "very heavy" ..................

anon x356
anon x356

January 9th, 2018, 10:37 pm #6

-Richard Knip-

I call 1200 LB very heavy

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 9th, 2018, 11:59 pm #7

-Richard Knip-

anon x356, you really think that a single person is going to be able to move 1200lbs w/o any mechanical aid? But if you really want "heavy", approx one tablespoon of a neutron star would weigh nearly 30 tons on earth! Now that is HEAVY .......

Nils
Nils

January 10th, 2018, 7:14 am #8

-Richard Knip-

I was talking about the shackles, not the ball and chain.

BoB Russell
BoB Russell

January 10th, 2018, 3:00 pm #9

-Richard Knip-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5vi9ir49g

Bob Russell
Bob Russell

January 10th, 2018, 3:00 pm #10

-Richard Knip-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5vi9ir49g

Confirmation of reply: