Swing-Through Legiron History

Swing-Through Legiron History

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 8th, 2013, 5:52 pm #1

On the "Help With Legirons" thread, Paul Reardon posed this inquiry:

"it was a while before the swing through Wesson/Pomeroy invention was applied to legirons. Maybe our S&W or Peerless experts on board could tell us when those companies first produced legirons."

I thought I'd create a separate thread for this topic. ---Joe Fox
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Paul:

PEERLESS:

I estimate that their legirons first appeared in the late 1960's...early 1970's.

I've seen a 1972 police supply catalog ad that lists Peerless Legirons...but the advertisement doesn't say the words "New" or "Introducing".

I have a Peerless Legiron with serial #507, so I'm interested in knowing the exact year of it's introduction. Anyone here have an early sales flyer for Peerless Legirons?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S&W:

They finally introduced Legirons in 1990, with their current model #1900.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreign "Peerless-clone" legirons:

The Japanese "Takeda" Legirons are from the 1960's.

Were today's cheaper Japanese/Taiwan swing-through legirons around in the 1960's too?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the earliest swing-through Legirons, of course these come to mind:

H&R Super Legirons (1930's); Strauss (1930's); Harvard (1940's); American Munitions-Chicago (1950's); American Handcuff Co. (1960's).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other early swing-through legirons? ------ Do any pre-date the H&R Super Legirons?

--Joe Fox

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 8th, 2013, 6:22 pm #2

I forgot to give honorable mention to the rumored BOCKIN LEGIRON, from the 1920's.

...with it's "Swing-BESIDE" feature. ..if it ever existed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding to the above list: HIATT swing-through Legirons ---from which decade: 1980's???

October 9th, 2013, 2:32 am #3

"it was a while before the swing through Wesson/Pomeroy invention was applied to legirons. Maybe our S&W or Peerless experts on board could tell us when those companies first produced legirons."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Paul:

PEERLESS:

I estimate that their legirons first appeared in the late 1960's...early 1970's.

I've seen a 1972 police supply catalog ad that lists Peerless Legirons...but the advertisement doesn't say the words "New" or "Introducing".

I have a Peerless Legiron with serial #507, so I'm interested in knowing the exact year of it's introduction. Anyone here have an early sales flyer for Peerless Legirons?

S&W:

Were today's cheaper Japanese/Taiwan swing-through legirons around in the 1960's too?

H&R Super Legirons (1930's); Strauss (1930's); Harvard (1940's); American Munitions-Chicago (1950's); American Handcuff Co. (1960's).

Any other early swing-through legirons? ------ Do any pre-date the H&R Super Legirons?

--Joe Fox

While I lack substantiating literature, I seem to recall that Peerless introduced leg irons to their product line in 1971. As with their handcuffs of this era, they weren't assigned a model number. Mine were marked something like: 1 Pair Peerless Leg Irons Nickel.

Did they ever make blued leg irons?

Jason

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 9th, 2013, 11:08 pm #4

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Paul:

To my knowledge, Peerless never offered "Blued" legirons.

I don't think any company has offered them, except perhaps, as a "special-order".

October 10th, 2013, 1:18 am #5

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Greetings, Joe and Paul:

The last post was mine, and I've never seen Peerless leg irons with any finish other than nickel. I guess nickel allergy isn't a concern since convicts could be issued socks if necessary.

Back when I used to rummage through flea markets in the '80s, I used to frequently come across blackened WWII era Harvard leg irons. One of the military sellers must have purchased a huge surplus of these, as he eventually offered them for only $5 (N.O.S.).

Jason

October 10th, 2013, 3:40 pm #6

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
DHW offers black Peerless legirons :http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/703P-B ... -Iron.html

Peter

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 10th, 2013, 5:19 pm #7

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Oh...right under our noses! Thanks, Peter.

Blackburn
Blackburn

October 10th, 2013, 10:13 pm #8

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
American Handcuff company also made a blued leg iron. It is the speedking model. Did peerless make the 503 in blued finish?

October 10th, 2013, 11:10 pm #9

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
The times they are a-changin'.

Good spotting, Peter, Blackburn!

October 11th, 2013, 12:10 am #10

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Peerless now offers Leg Irons in blue, yellow, red, pink & orange also
http://www.peerless.net/leg-irons.html
Dave

Confirmation of reply: