Swing-Through Legiron History

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 14th, 2013, 11:16 pm #21

On the "Help With Legirons" thread, Paul Reardon posed this inquiry:

"it was a while before the swing through Wesson/Pomeroy invention was applied to legirons. Maybe our S&W or Peerless experts on board could tell us when those companies first produced legirons."

I thought I'd create a separate thread for this topic. ---Joe Fox
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Paul:

PEERLESS:

I estimate that their legirons first appeared in the late 1960's...early 1970's.

I've seen a 1972 police supply catalog ad that lists Peerless Legirons...but the advertisement doesn't say the words "New" or "Introducing".

I have a Peerless Legiron with serial #507, so I'm interested in knowing the exact year of it's introduction. Anyone here have an early sales flyer for Peerless Legirons?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S&W:

They finally introduced Legirons in 1990, with their current model #1900.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreign "Peerless-clone" legirons:

The Japanese "Takeda" Legirons are from the 1960's.

Were today's cheaper Japanese/Taiwan swing-through legirons around in the 1960's too?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the earliest swing-through Legirons, of course these come to mind:

H&R Super Legirons (1930's); Strauss (1930's); Harvard (1940's); American Munitions-Chicago (1950's); American Handcuff Co. (1960's).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other early swing-through legirons? ------ Do any pre-date the H&R Super Legirons?

--Joe Fox
Thanks all again - for the very helpful information!

October 15th, 2013, 7:45 pm #22

"it was a while before the swing through Wesson/Pomeroy invention was applied to legirons. Maybe our S&W or Peerless experts on board could tell us when those companies first produced legirons."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Paul:

PEERLESS:

I estimate that their legirons first appeared in the late 1960's...early 1970's.

I've seen a 1972 police supply catalog ad that lists Peerless Legirons...but the advertisement doesn't say the words "New" or "Introducing".

I have a Peerless Legiron with serial #507, so I'm interested in knowing the exact year of it's introduction. Anyone here have an early sales flyer for Peerless Legirons?

S&W:

Were today's cheaper Japanese/Taiwan swing-through legirons around in the 1960's too?

H&R Super Legirons (1930's); Strauss (1930's); Harvard (1940's); American Munitions-Chicago (1950's); American Handcuff Co. (1960's).

Any other early swing-through legirons? ------ Do any pre-date the H&R Super Legirons?

--Joe Fox
Joseph,
I'm not sure when The Peerless Handcuff Company first had their cataloged leg irons, but could this letter request have been their first attempt?
I don't think so, because it was when they were offering the Model 2 Version 5 series and they would be in my opinion, to small for an ankle.
The letter dated February 13, 1928 from the Peerless Handcuff Co. to Smith & Wesson requesting S&W to make up for them - six pair of Nickeled Peerless Handcuffs having five-foot chain connecting each half cuff in place of the usual two links. It is signed by James Milton Gill.
Why the 5-foot chain? Not sure if we will ever know.
Attached is a black & white photo copy of the original letter that I have. On the left side of the letter is six handwritten serial numbers I presume are the ones manufactured and delivered to Peerless.
I contacted Peerless and corresponded with Peter Gill and he sent me a copy of the page in the company log book that shows when they were sent and to whom.
Serial numbers 63462 - 63467 were sold to Wm. A. Gerber Company in St. Paul MN. on Feb. 18, 1928. Peter Gill stated, "Smith & Wesson did a prompt job fulfilling this request".
This was a 5-day turn-around.
Dave

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 15th, 2013, 10:25 pm #23

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Thanks, David....Just seeing ANY letter from "Peerless" to "Smith & Wesson" is neat.

As per the "Peerless Handcuff Company History" links, posted by Jason (above) - I now know that Peerless Legirons were introduced in 1971.

Tremex
Tremex

October 17th, 2013, 6:24 pm #24

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
The Peerless' triskelion represents swing-through cuffs ! I have never understood that ... Thanks for the information )

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 17th, 2013, 9:08 pm #25

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
...and the Peerless swing-through "logo drawing" (on the letter in the above post) - is not to be confused with the 1960's "45 RPM record adapter" of the same appearance

October 17th, 2013, 11:46 pm #26

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Good one Joe.
The Peerless logo in the above letter is the same logo used on the Peerless Model 1 Version 2 handcuffs.
Dave

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 18th, 2013, 5:48 pm #27

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
David:

That logo is also found on all of their early solid-key models....and on the 1st introduction of their BARREL-KEY Model, circa 1932.

October 18th, 2013, 6:33 pm #28

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Joe,
The logo with TRADE on top of the emblem & MARK at the bottom, I have only seen on the Model 1 version 2.
All other versions through the Model 3, had logos with TRADE MARK on top of the emblem & REGISTERED at the bottom.
Shown are the two variations.
Dave

Tremex
Tremex

October 18th, 2013, 6:57 pm #29

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
I agree :

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

October 18th, 2013, 7:20 pm #30

Paul:

PEERLESS:

S&W:

--Joe Fox
Ok, thanks for the clarification...

I was just referring to the actual circular "3-bow symbol logo", when I said the above statement.

Confirmation of reply: