Severe corrosion of S&W model 100 nickel handcuffs

August 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm #1

Hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to hide my Smith & Wesson model 100 nickel plated handcuffs in the toilet tank (don't ask). When I went to retrieve them two weeks later, I found them to be covered in rust! I used a rag soaked in vinegar with vigorous scrubbing to remove the majority of the rust, followed by a toothbrush for the nooks and crannies. Some of the nickel plating has worn off to expose the base metal (it was fully intact prior to the toilet tank immersion) and there are other places where the metal is discoloured. I cycled the mechanism several times and also engaged and unlocked the double locks and everything still works. Is it normal for S&W handcuffs to corrode this easily (there was no bleach puck or anything in the toilet tank)? Is it possible to reverse the damage and restore the handcuffs to their former glory?
20180808_092654.jpg 20180808_175211.jpg 20180808_175303.jpg
Erika

August 11th, 2018, 2:04 am #2

Im surprised they held up that well. Your not gonna reverse that and even if you could it would cost more in time and money than they are worth. Paint isnt gonna stick and the only way to tske it back to like new is tske them apart and sand blast them, and then have them dipped again. Not worth it. Id say anything you dont want to rust, dont put in the toilet bowl tank. Might just need a better hiding spot. The story of why you chose there is one im sure we're all waiting for.

August 11th, 2018, 3:20 pm #3

I once had a pair of black handcuffs, from an off-brand maker, which were double locking, but used a standard looking key that had a slightly undersized key flag. They rusted pretty badly, and I was able to sand them down on all exterior surfaces, which created a nice looking raw steel look. I'm not sure if that is an option here with nickel plating, but it was interesting to see. They would rust slowly over a period of a few weeks, and I'd lightly sand them down again.
Best advice would be to get a new pair or 3!

August 11th, 2018, 4:51 pm #4

I honestly expected better quality from S&W. I think I may invest in a pair of stainless steel cuffs for my next pair. They might be tricky to get here in Canada since handcuffwarehouse.com no longer ships to Canada and I'm not an LEO, just a handcuff enthusiast. I bought my current pair off eBay.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

August 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm #5

Metal cuffs are kind of strange like that. They dont like moisture! If you current hiding spot is to deep six them in the crapper tank, at least give them some protection. Put them in a small waterproof case or seal them in something. Anytime moisture comes in contact with metal for a prolonged period of time, its going to eat away the finish and create rust. Even if the outside has a resistant coating, the inside bits do not. They werent designed for underwater use. Either protect them. Find a new stash spot. Or, become a Smith and Wesson dealer, so at least you get a discount. You will be going through a new set, every month. The maker wouldnt matter. Cuffs and moisture dont mix.
-Richard Knip-

man with no name
man with no name

August 13th, 2018, 9:03 pm #6

"Is it possible to reverse the damage and restore the handcuffs to their former glory"?

While it is possible to restore the finish, it would cost far more than to plunk down the $21 it would take to buy a brand new pair thru Handcuffwarehouse .....................

August 13th, 2018, 9:34 pm #7

man with no name wrote: "Is it possible to reverse the damage and restore the handcuffs to their former glory"?

While it is possible to restore the finish, it would cost far more than to plunk down the $21 it would take to buy a brand new pair thru Handcuffwarehouse .....................
Handcuffwarehouse is awesome. Most of my cuffs are bought from there. I should be getting some kind of discount by now :)

August 13th, 2018, 9:55 pm #8

94104 wrote:
man with no name wrote: "Is it possible to reverse the damage and restore the handcuffs to their former glory"?

Handcuffwarehouse is awesome. Most of my cuffs are bought from there. I should be getting some kind of discount by now :)
I would, but handcuffwarehouse doesn't ship to Canada anymore (where I am). I bought my current pair off eBay.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Confirmation of reply: