Photo bucket charging $399.00 per year

July 19th, 2017, 8:32 pm #11

Photo Bucket has blocked all my photos here, unless I pay a $399.00 fee per year, to upload what they call, 3rd party hosting.
I guess my photo posting is over here if I can't post directly from my computer.
I noticed I am not the only one this has happened to.
Dave
Anon, after I told them what they could do with their "bucket", I went into my account library and manually deleted all my photos on photo bucket before they locked me out and stole all my photos. Now I will have to decide on a different path.
Dave

July 19th, 2017, 10:40 pm #12

Photo Bucket has blocked all my photos here, unless I pay a $399.00 fee per year, to upload what they call, 3rd party hosting.
I guess my photo posting is over here if I can't post directly from my computer.
Dave
They are a big website, they have backups of your images I promise you. Not that they probably care. I would have personally downloaded all my albums if I had pictures up on their services rather than just delete them.

NoName
NoName

July 22nd, 2017, 11:57 am #13

Dave
Photobuchet act as Ransomware Trojans. Block content and extorts money to unblock. Plus violation of the fundamental principle, according to which the Law of retroactivity does not have

July 22nd, 2017, 2:27 pm #14

Dave
https://www.change.org/p/photobucket-re ... party-rule

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16/ph ... -fee-hike/

https://twitter.com/search?src=typd&q=%23photobucket

Mark Lyons
Mark Lyons

July 23rd, 2017, 1:07 am #15

Dave
Hi all,

I am far from being an expert on this topic but the first thing that came to mind is that we collectively chip in once a year and pay them their money.
Each of us would pitch in $5 or 10 bucks and we share the account and password.
We can each use it to post pictures here under one account. It would not be wise to use this for personal pictures elsewhere.

I am not sure if they have limits on how many users can access the account but this might work.

Mark
O--O

July 23rd, 2017, 5:32 pm #16

Dave
I feel giving them that money is condoning what they have done to everyone who has used their service. There are tons of other methods of increasing revenue and they chose to absolutely jam their users. F them, seriously.

NoName
NoName

July 23rd, 2017, 7:44 pm #17

Dave
Paying money to arrogant extortionists is the latest thing

Nils
Nils

August 3rd, 2017, 10:29 am #18

Dave
I'm not sure this forum will recover from the photobucket disaster. Paying them money to them now also does not seem like the right thing to do.

As Robert Heinlein said, someone is always going to pick up the bill ("there is no such thing as a free lunch"), I'd be okay paying a few dollars every year for a shared hosting service, but not photobucket. I'm pretty sure they have no idea how big the damage the have done is, and how big the disappointment with their users is.

Editing 50 old forum entries to retrieve the photos is not something I feel like doing at the moment.

How do the others feel about the whole thing? Do we just start over with a new service?
Joe, are there any forum backups? Can the old foum be saved?

Nils

August 3rd, 2017, 5:43 pm #19

Dave
I am working on the problem. I am setting up somewhat complicated systems here to try and see if I can set up a system whereby the site could be "saved" as an archive site/link and then use some kind of new forum system or continue here fresh withpeople using other free services that do not charge for hotlinking. I cannot promise I will have any success. I am in the process of doing some testing right now.

August 3rd, 2017, 7:26 pm #20

Dave
Joseph Lauher, I am in the process of doing somewhat complex things on my side to obtain (depending on how much disk space is taken up) every image on this forum that is hosted on photobucket. Do you have the capability to do a site-wide replacement of text? As in, replace an image URL across the whole forum? Like any trace of and replace it with ? If so that would be good. What my goal is, is to get all the images, select only ones that are hosted on photobucket and check the total file size. If they are transferable via some means, I can give them to you and they would be in folders based on their domain name, so you (and any other admins you have) could go thread to thread and, after uploading the images to your site in their original folders, you could easily and quickly make a tweak to the image link and point it to your server and it would work again without needing photobucket.

If what I am doing works as I expect, you would have all the images you need in order to keep your same network54 service here and just fix the images since you would have all the original images. All you would need is a place to upload all the images and their containing folders and post by post do a quick modification.I may even be able to write you a simple Windows based program where when you edit the post so you see the image link, then highlight the text link to the image and press copy, it would detect photobucket in the name and process the link to the new format to where ever you upload the images and copy that new modified link to the clipboard and then automatically press Ctrl V to paste it over the original you had copied, thus speeding up the time required to do the work.

If you are interested in any of what I am doing please let me know and I will provide contact details.

Confirmation of reply: