Not a Convention

Not a Convention

Cliff Gerstman
Cliff Gerstman

January 16th, 2018, 5:06 pm #1

On either Friday June 8th or Saturday June 9th, we will gather for dinner and possibly a show In Las Vegas. This is not a convention but might be a trial run. We already have 7 or 8 people on board. Not huge, but still could be fun. If you can come to Vegas at that time.. We'll see you there!

cliffg37@verizon.net

Houdini
Houdini

January 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm #2

FYI--Cliff is referring to a so-called "Escape Artists" gathering...It is not a "handcuff collectors" gathering, per se. - although of course, any collectors would be welcome. I just thought that his 'post' needed clarification.

January 16th, 2018, 7:16 pm #3

On either Friday June 8th or Saturday June 9th, we will gather for dinner and possibly a show In Las Vegas. This is not a convention but might be a trial run. We already have 7 or 8 people on board. Not huge, but still could be fun. If you can come to Vegas at that time.. We'll see you there!

cliffg37@verizon.net
I could so imagine a convention called "CuffCon" with both high profile and new small outfits selling handcuffs and accessories, people picking handcuffs open, showing exploits found and design recommendations to secure the cuff against the exploit, cleaning and conditioning products for cuff collectors, general social interaction etc etc. Not my cup of tea as I only leave the house for the essentials I do not travel. But it sounds like such a thing could exist and be successful.

Joseph Fox
Joseph Fox

January 16th, 2018, 7:52 pm #4

cliffg37@verizon.net
SBD:

Not only could such a thing exist...it already has, and continues to do so!

Mark & Sheila Cannon had their "Escape Artists Convention" in Ontario, California from years 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009 (for the two years prior, it had "piggy-backed" on the "Indy Lock Show", in Indianapolis, Indiana (USA).

Featured at these conventions were handcuff dealers (i.e. Chris from "Handcuff Warehouse"), lock-pick dealers; along with plenty of Magician & Houdini-related items for sale.

Daily lectures and handcuff & lock-picking contests were held.

Ticket-buying public shows were held on Saturday evening, along with local TV media coverage.
(DVD highlights from the 2006, 2007, 2009 conventions are available (Jay Leslie/TheHouseofEnchantment.com)

The "European Handcuff Convention" began in 2007, in Antwerp, Belgium...and continues to this day.

Definitely, these conventions were and are - Good Times!

Cliff Gerstman
Cliff Gerstman

January 17th, 2018, 3:21 am #5

cliffg37@verizon.net
I am trying to organize this based on the very fond memories I have of the Canon's conventions that Joe is speaking of. Escape Artists, Cuff Collectors and Enthusiasts are all going to be welcomed. I was even going to invite a group of lock collectors a few of us met a few years back, but could not make a reasonable contact.

All the conventions were nothing but good times and nothing short of incredible.

Bruce Thomson
Bruce Thomson

February 12th, 2018, 3:14 pm #6

cliffg37@verizon.net
I can't make this for these dates, but really look forward to a convention again.

Confirmation of reply: