Mis-stamped Peerless

Mis-stamped Peerless

February 28th, 2018, 8:17 pm #1

These turned up recently. I have emails from Chris at Peerless. He says these are the only ones he has ever seen! Notice the 1916 Patent date. 1916? Peerless never had a 1916 patent date for the post key style cuffs! It should read "1915." This was a mistake, done at the factory. No idea on how many could be out there? Check your cuffs closely, maybe you have one? Side note: Today I got another set in with the same stamp. So, we know of 2 cuffs marked like this so far.
-Richard Knip-

February 28th, 2018, 10:05 pm #2

I believe this is a 5 based on the straight line across the top.
The bottom of the 5 appears to be somewhat closed at the bottom.
Your close-up also appears to be an over-stamp unless that is just a shadow.
Here is one with 5's & 6's stamped and you can see the difference.
Dave

[url[/img][/url]

February 28th, 2018, 10:33 pm #3

These turned up recently. I have emails from Chris at Peerless. He says these are the only ones he has ever seen! Notice the 1916 Patent date. 1916? Peerless never had a 1916 patent date for the post key style cuffs! It should read "1915." This was a mistake, done at the factory. No idea on how many could be out there? Check your cuffs closely, maybe you have one? Side note: Today I got another set in with the same stamp. So, we know of 2 cuffs marked like this so far.
-Richard Knip-

I believe it was a type of "over stamp or double stamping" that occurred. I appreciate the pics for comparison. Still and interesting factory mistake. There has to be more of these out there, before thy noticed it and corrected it?
-Richard Knip-

February 28th, 2018, 10:57 pm #4

-Richard Knip-

Here is one where the 5 is almost closed.
Dave

[url[/img][/url]

February 28th, 2018, 10:59 pm #5

-Richard Knip-

Sorry, try this one. Have a hard time finding a good size image.
Dave

[url[/img][/url]

February 28th, 2018, 11:10 pm #6

-Richard Knip-

Yes. The 5 is very close. Wonder if this was maybe after the stamp had been used a bit and wasnt as sharp edged? Progressively,getting worse as time went on? On Imgur.com, for images, i select the "Huge Thumbnail" option to get the first pic size I posted. Hope that helps with future pics.
-Richard Knip-

February 28th, 2018, 11:16 pm #7

-Richard Knip-

Here is one a little closer.
Agree on stamp getting worn.
Thanks for the tip on image size.
Dave

[url[/img][/url]

Confirmation of reply: