Female escape artists during the Houdini era

Female escape artists during the Houdini era

July 20th, 2017, 6:57 pm #1

I am researching American female escape artists during the Houdini era. Have identified about 60 so far. The earliest I have found was Pauline Braham, part of Lewis and Paul, who performed a handcuff challenge act in 1890. There is enough information on about 15 for detailed write-ups. Most of the rest I only found in a newspaper advertisements or entries in one of the theatrical magazines (Clipper, Billboard and Variety). Looking for photographs and ephemera on any “Handcuff Queens” of this era.

Thanks for your help on this project.

Gary Hunt
Durham, NC

Spencer
Spencer

July 22nd, 2017, 3:04 pm #2

Gary

That is a very interesting project and I wish I had some info to pass on to you but unfortunately I dont. Is your goal to publish a book on these performers?

Paul Davies
Paul Davies

July 24th, 2017, 7:42 am #3

I am researching American female escape artists during the Houdini era. Have identified about 60 so far. The earliest I have found was Pauline Braham, part of Lewis and Paul, who performed a handcuff challenge act in 1890. There is enough information on about 15 for detailed write-ups. Most of the rest I only found in a newspaper advertisements or entries in one of the theatrical magazines (Clipper, Billboard and Variety). Looking for photographs and ephemera on any “Handcuff Queens” of this era.

Gary Hunt
Durham, NC
See what the NY Public Library has it its collection from "Society of American Magicians". That is where I found a photo of Will A Bennet, the man who was involved with Houdini in the Mirror Cuff challenge at the Hippodome in 1904. Who knows what else they have.

Mark Lyons
Mark Lyons

July 26th, 2017, 10:24 pm #4

Gary Hunt
Durham, NC
I have a nice pic of Sirronje the Handcuff Queen from 1908.
I will forward to Joe so it can be posted here.

Mark
O--O

Last edited by lauher on July 27th, 2017, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 30th, 2017, 5:11 pm #5

Gary Hunt
Durham, NC
Spencer: This has been a long term project. Started many years ago. While researching Brindamour’s bridge jumps I ran across Minerva “Queen of Handcuffs” also doing them. One thing lead to another and I found myself way down this rabbit hole. Plan on finally finishing my research into these fascinating performers and publishing a book or monograph. This is a very long term project. So it will be a while.

Paul: Thanks. I do have a friend looking at the collections of the NYPL and will tell them to look at the SAM collection.

Mark: One of my favorite photo of Sirronje. She was Florence Enright Norris born in 1879 and died in 1947. Her husband was Edmond J Norris (1864-1942) and he was an English born magician and actor. Her stage name was his name (E. J. Norris) spelled backwards. She performed from 1906 to 1911. She and Minerva were the most successful American female escape artists.

Gary

Spencer
Spencer

July 31st, 2017, 6:41 pm #6

Gary Hunt
Durham, NC
Gary

Thanks for the update and if your research does turn into a book please keep us informed through this forum.

August 1st, 2017, 8:01 pm #7

Gary Hunt
Durham, NC
Being an Escape Artist, I would be very interested to add your research to my collection. I know how hard the research is as I tried to compile an index of EA's about ten years ago. Please keep me informed.

Confirmation of reply: