Can anybody help with this old leg irons?

Can anybody help with this old leg irons?

Help
Help

April 3rd, 2018, 7:57 am #1

??
??

April 3rd, 2018, 10:31 am #2

do you have a name to be called by? nice irons.

George
George

April 3rd, 2018, 11:42 am #3

April 3rd, 2018, 8:37 pm #4

Nice! These look to be "blacksmith made" Irons. As such, they dont have a manufacturer's name or model number or anything. They werent mass produced in a factory. Each one would have been hand made by a smith. The closest thing I have to them is a blacksmith made ball and chain with a similar style cuff and lock. My Ball and chain, dates to the late 1700s. I dont have an estimate on age of yours, George. Sorry. Maybe one of our other members will be able to help? When discussing this lock design, with a locksmith on the forum, I was told this was a very primitive lock design. It could go back, quite early? Very nice pair of Irons, you have. Do you collect, or is this something you are looking to sell?
-Richard Knip-

good old stuff
good old stuff

April 4th, 2018, 6:16 am #5

hi George, they are a barbed spring mechanism lock. same type used in Roman shackles, Viking padlock and many Asian locks. ie Chinese and Japanese.

George
George

April 4th, 2018, 1:17 pm #6

Hi guys,
thank You for answers. I maybe want to sell it, but it is about price. I think it is a very rare items, I never seen other like this before. If You can find out something other information please let me knouw.....

old stuff
old stuff

April 4th, 2018, 11:53 pm #7

George, your item is a one of a kind in that it was blacksmith made many years ago and there is not another exactly like it but it doesn't mean its rare. There have been 100,000's of slaves and prisoners transported all over the world and there are thousands of leg irons as well. Your pair of irons look in very good order and should be worth several hundred dollars, but the worth of something comes down to how much someone else is willing to spend to get it. I wouldn't spend a dollar for a dress worn by marilyn monroe but some do. if you needs so extra cash, then sell it. If you really think you have a winner, hang on to it and wait for someone to offer you big dollars and make your dreams come true.

Worth
Worth

April 5th, 2018, 1:01 am #8

What's it worth? I'd say about $125, a little more with a key. The problem is that most collectors want a makers mark on them so they know where and when it was made. Otherwise they go in the bottom draw of unknown European/Asian/Middle Eastern one-offs. I've seen a lot of this type of stuff coming out of Bulgaria for instance.
My humble opinion.

Nils
Nils

April 5th, 2018, 4:29 am #9

Steve Santini
Steve Santini

April 5th, 2018, 1:40 pm #10

I agree that many collectors seem to want name brand patented restraints over hand forged devices.

Especially many American collectors.

These are nice irons but certainly below the $250 range.

Cheers, Steve Santini P.S. Nils, check your spam folder. I sent you some photos and they may have ended up there.

Confirmation of reply: